Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

kwilliam8
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

I meant to post these several weeks ago, but forgot! Here are some images taken at Artistís Point in early October this year. Artistís Point is between Mount Shuksan and Mount Baker in Washington State. These images were taken towards the end of almost three months of sunshine in the Seattle area (yes, it does happen once a decade or so). I wasnít looking for clouds, and did not mind the challenge of the large dynamic range midday. All images were taken with a Nikon D800:

Image 1: Mount Shuksan, Nikkor 45mm tilt-shift, f/14, 1/125 sec, ISO 100.

Image 2: Mount Shuksan, Nikkor 14-24mm, 24mm, f/16, 1/60 sec, ISO 100.

Image 3: Mount Baker, Nikkor 200-400mm, 330mm, f/8, 1/800 sec, ISO 100.

Image 4: Mount Baker, Nikkor 200-400mm, 400mm, f/8, 1/1600 sec, ISO 100.

Comments and feed-back welcome! Thanks for taking a look.

Keith W.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:03 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

Very nice Keith. You have similar subject tastes to mine.

I have one question for you - what do you do for white balance for shots under full sun blue skies? I find I have to add some warmth to my images when taken under a full blue sky to offset the bit of blue hue.

- John

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:21 AM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #3 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

John,

Thanks. Regarding WB, first off, I shoot raw. The color temperature that the camera (currently a Nikon D800) suggests is almost always consistent with how I remembered seeing things. Very rarely (probably less than 5% of the time) however, I will make a slight adjustment in WB. Under very blue skies (a rarity here), I will occassionally warm things up a bit, as you suggest. For the images above, I did not make any changes to the WB settings as they came up in Lightroom. However, now that I am looking at the images again, perhaps I should have warmed up the last image a bit. But it is surprising how blue glaciers in shadow appear. The other three images look, to my eye, like how I remember seeing things that day. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment!

Keith W.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:24 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

Very nice. I can't decide between #1 and 2. I hear ya about the rain. Here in PDX we had 80 sunny days out of 81, and now they are saying we might have the 5th wettest October on record - and it didn't even start raining until the 2nd week.. Oh well, wont stop me from shooting

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:26 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

Hey Keith,

What really cool shots! I will have to remember about Artists Point the next time I get up the PNW way, it looks like a cool location.

#1 and 2 I think are my favorites.

Jim

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM
squirl033
• •
p.1 #6 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

really like the first two, from Huntoon Point. the tarns out there make for some nice foreground interest, and Shuksan herself is a great subject any time. i've taken a number of shots from Artist Ridge trail... marvelous views!

Oct 30, 2012 at 05:20 PM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #7 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

Dustin, Jim, and Winston, thanks for looking and commenting. Much appreciated. Dustin, sounds like PDX had been similar to SEA. I need to get out in the rain to shoot more often! Otherwise, I may have to wait until next July 5th!
Keith W.

Oct 30, 2012 at 07:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

chester

p.1 #8 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

Keith these are very nice indeed. I must have been up there around the same time. I was there on Sunday October 7th. I too shoot with the D800. I have a shot from up at Artist Point with a reflection of Mt Shuksan but it is a different body of water than yours. If you don't mind where exactly was this taken. Thanks.

Jim Thiel

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:33 PM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #9 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

Jim, thanks. I guess the name of the area is Huntoon Point. It is a short walk from the artist's point parking area - the walk that stays on the ridge and heads towards Shuksan. I was there on October 3rd, I think. From looking at your website, it looks like you were on the same short trail that I took. The two tarns in the images are the last tarns (of three, or four at most) before the ridge drops back down towards Baker lake. It's funny that I have been in that area many times, but had never taken that short trail, thinking that the image opportunities were better elsewhere. When I go back, in following years, I will hit this same trail late in the afternoon or early evening. It is such a beautiful area.
Keith W.
ps. the last two images were taken from a knoll above the artist's point parking lot

Oct 30, 2012 at 08:52 PM
chester

p.1 #10 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

Thanks for the information Keith. I grew up in Bellingham and did lots of hiking around the area. I live in Seattle now but it is always great to go back to that area. Big difference between then and now is the number of people that visit the area. Artist Point was so busy the day we went I was lucky to get a parking place at all. We have camped at Lake Anne many times.

Oct 30, 2012 at 09:04 PM
gordon l
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

I like the straightforward #1 shot the best of the bunch. It's very very clear, sharp and awesome.

Nov 01, 2012 at 03:23 PM
squirl033
• •
p.1 #12 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

there are a number of small lakes up in that area... there's Picture Lake, which is the iconic view of Mt Shuksan with reflections that a bazillion people shoot every year. it's a helluva view, and i have several large prints i took there myself. and there's the smaller lake next to the chalet, but it's not as scenic. a little farther up toward Artist Point, just below the visitor's center, are the Bagley Lakes, which are basically just meltwater ponds, but they're fairly good sized, and if you hike down into the basin, you can get some nice compositions there. there's another pond right at the visitor center parking lot, that's not named, but you can sometimes get nice reflection shots of Table Mountain. and then up at the top, there are lots of little tarns. most are out at Huntoon Point, but sometimes there are small ones even along the side of the Artist Ridge trail just past the parking lot. i like the tarns at Huntoon Point, because with the right angles - like Keith got in the OP - you can get some really nice reflections, and they can offer some nice foreground interest.

Nov 01, 2012 at 06:32 PM
Dirtyharry71
• • •
p.1 #13 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

I like the first 2

Nov 05, 2012 at 10:29 AM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #14 · Artist's Point, Washington State, early October

Jim, Gordon, Winston, and Dirtyharry71, thanks for taking the time to respond!
Keith W.

Nov 05, 2012 at 06:21 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password