Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · computer corrupting memory cards

runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · computer corrupting memory cards

Have a 3-4 year old HP computer that I used for a couple of years with no problems. I took it to my daughter's and now it corrupts memory cards. I've tried the USB slots and the card reader slots. I've tried several readers and even a hub to no avail. All work fine on my home computer. Yet when I plug them into my daughter's computer the cards get corrupted.

It started with a few files getting screwy. Colors shifted, top and bottom half misaligned, but downloading over usually fixed it. Now it leaves cards unusable. Faststone says there are no files on the card, and opening it in Ztree shows unrecognizable symbols for file names.

OS is Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Cards are SDHC, usually 16 gig, but even a 2 gig card got corrupted.

Oct 29, 2012 at 04:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · computer corrupting memory cards

TS the issue:

does it have the requisit HP built in reader?

Oct 29, 2012 at 04:41 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · computer corrupting memory cards

Are you formatting the cards in the computer after pulling the images off?

If so, that is a BIG no no, only format them in the camera.

Oct 29, 2012 at 05:32 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · computer corrupting memory cards

yes, I tried using the built-in reader and that doesn't work either.

Cards are formatted in camera.

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #5 · computer corrupting memory cards

OP,

Put the card(s) back into the camera and see what the camera shows you is on the card(s). Then let us know what you find.

Odds are it's related to the card reader or that computers USB system. But I would check what else is not working correctly on that computer. Presumably it has a good AV that is up to date.

hth

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:54 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #6 · computer corrupting memory cards

With a machine of that age I would suggest a reinstall of the OS and all the software. Sounds to me like a a driver issue. You could just go with a reinstall of the USB drivers but personally I would do every thing on a 3 year old machine.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:47 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · computer corrupting memory cards

The camera says their is nothing on the card.

I'd have to bring the computer back home to reinstall the OS. She is outside city limits and uses satellite for the internet. All of the updates would use up 3 months of data downloads.

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:00 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #8 · computer corrupting memory cards

OP,

With the card data changed, this takes on another dimension. But this is presuming that you were copying and not "moving" it.

Rebuilding the machine may help. But if it managed to kill the data on the card, it sounds like an "Active" problem and not necessarily just a driver related USB issue.

How were you trying to copy the files from the card? What program were you using?

Just for kicks, try making a photo card just to test with. And see if the problem is reproducible.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:05 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · computer corrupting memory cards

I was able to rescue the files using a recovery program. I had to run the program on my computer at home. One program found 4 or 5 subdirectories with unrecognizable names.

Both the keyboard and mouse are USB connected and operate perfectly. So it it's a driver problem it would affect the keyboard and mouse?

This happened the last time, and when I put the card in the camera, the camera said the card had to be formatted for use. This time it just reported nothing on the card. No DCIM directory, nothing.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:46 AM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #10 · computer corrupting memory cards

OP,
Reading a card should be just that only a read. It should not have affected the card's content. So something else is going on.

And while the keyboard & mouse may be usb, they are recognized by the OS and will use different drivers than a card reader will use/require.

Do you have/use a file manipulator program that will let you look directly at the card? Your card reader with a card in it should appear as an external device which you can access and handle much the same as an external HD. Take a look at the card with the file manipulator and see what's there. Examples of file manipulators are Windows Explorer a better one is Total Commander which has 2 panes for file handling. It can copy from the directory shown in one pane to the directory shown in the second pane with assurance that you are doing ONLY a copy and not a move.

Also I would not rec ever reading/displaying the photos directly from the card unless you are certain that your photo display program is well behaved and does not automatically write to the photos' source directory. So let me ask what program do you use to do the transfer and what do you use to look at photos?

The camera's reporting that a card needs to be formatted can indicate a card problem but more often will simply mean that the camera either saw something it did not expect or could not find anything that it could recognize.

The point of this problem seems to be that something changed the card's data. And "reading" the card should not do that. So back to the question of what AV &firewall are used on this machine and have you scanned it recently?

hth
Rodney

Oct 30, 2012 at 05:44 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

FredAz

p.1 #11 · computer corrupting memory cards

Virus.....
Something is WRITING to the cards upon insertion.
This is how a virus uses the "sneaker net" to move from computer to computer.

Oct 30, 2012 at 02:17 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #12 · computer corrupting memory cards

Virus is sounding likely.

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:02 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · computer corrupting memory cards

Thanks, guys. I'll look into the virus angle.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · computer corrupting memory cards

I kinda doubt it

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:08 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · computer corrupting memory cards

sjms wrote:
I kinda doubt it

An old, out of date computer writing strange hidden files on removable media?

I think Virus, too (and I was the product owner of a PC recovery product for years...)

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:20 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · computer corrupting memory cards

well then that's simple just run a good virus program and see. if not just simply format and try again.

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:32 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · computer corrupting memory cards

No virus. No virii. To thicken the plot, my CF card reads perfectly in both the built-in reader, and the external USB hub, as well as the built-in usb slots.

The computer only misreads jpegs. NEF files are perfect.

The computer itself is less than 3 years old.

I ordered a service pack DVD just in case I end up just doing a clean reinstall.

Nov 04, 2012 at 06:25 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · computer corrupting memory cards

Like I said, I kinda doubt it is/was a virus. Didn't have the "signature" of one to begin with. Why didn't just download the SP?

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:32 PM
SteveF
• • • •
p.1 #19 · computer corrupting memory cards

Nothing helpful to offer, but sure sounds frustrating.

With so many things in electronics, a "re-boot" hopefully will fix it.

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:28 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · computer corrupting memory cards

SShe has a verizon internet card. The SP download would have used up most of her monthly bandwidth, and tie up the computer for several hours.

Nov 10, 2012 at 09:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password