Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bats, balls and bails.

Jay_Be
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Bats, balls and bails.

A local regional cricket match over the weekend.

Oct 29, 2012 at 04:41 AM
rddayton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Bats, balls and bails.

Some really nice action shots here. Like seeing something different from what we get dispatched to shoot all the time here in the states, too. Looks like he is pursing his lips soooooo hard that they are turning white.....

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:00 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Bats, balls and bails.

nice sharp pics

Oct 29, 2012 at 04:33 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #4 · Bats, balls and bails.

I don't really know the rules for Cricket, but does the pitcher /team get points for knocking off the dowels?

Andy

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:51 AM
Jay_Be
• •
p.1 #5 · Bats, balls and bails.

rddayton wrote:
Some really nice action shots here. Like seeing something different from what we get dispatched to shoot all the time here in the states, too. Looks like he is pursing his lips soooooo hard that they are turning white.....

Yep, many of them wear zinc cream to prevent sunburned lips when they're in the sun all all day for the duration of a game. Or when playing two innings, several days in a row.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:08 AM
Jay_Be
• •
p.1 #6 · Bats, balls and bails.

CW100 wrote:
nice sharp pics

Thanks, CW

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:10 AM
Jay_Be
• •
p.1 #7 · Bats, balls and bails.

ifxbonz wrote:
I don't really know the rules for Cricket, but does the pitcher /team get points for knocking off the dowels?

Andy

The batsman is loses his wicket and he's 'out'. His innings over with the 'wicket/out' attributed to the bowler. They're called bails, btw and sit in small grooves on top of the stumps.

It's traditional before the break for lunch for the umpire to either knock the bails to the ground or sit them on top like this below, which was shot during lunch in the above game.

Oct 30, 2012 at 04:14 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Bats, balls and bails.

Jay....nice and crisp shots. I see some are wearing types of pads. Is this based on choice by the player or the position.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Jay_Be
• •
p.1 #9 · Bats, balls and bails.

Frank Lauri wrote:
Jay....nice and crisp shots. I see some are wearing types of pads. Is this based on choice by the player or the position.

The batsmen and the wicket keeper (wearing the orange gloves) always use the leg pads. The batsmen also have a crutch protector box under their trousers and often also wear thigh and forearm pads pad on the side facing the bowler. (left side for a right handed batsman - you can see a thigh pad under the trousers in the shot below)
The bowlers and fieldsmen (11 team members on the field and two batsmen from the opposing team, similar to baseball but with an extra batsman) don't wear protection.

Most often the batsmen will wear helmets when a fast bowler is bowling, (as opposed to slow, spin bowlers) like in the shot below from the same game and often the keeper will also wear one for protection. The ball is rock hard and with fast bowlers, travels at a similar speed to baseball pitching.

Oct 30, 2012 at 09:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

disci
• • •
p.1 #10 · Bats, balls and bails.

Hi Jay Be

These would be some of the clearest cricket shots I've ever seen. Big-time kudos to you. I really like numbers 1 and 5 in particular.

Thanks for sharing Jay Be.

Regards

Des

Oct 30, 2012 at 09:52 PM
kevin s
• •
p.1 #11 · Bats, balls and bails.

stellar! very nice photographs. thanks for sharing. great sport, love that you're giving it exposure (ha, no pun intended).

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Jay_Be
• •
p.1 #12 · Bats, balls and bails.

disci wrote:
Hi Jay Be

These would be some of the clearest cricket shots I've ever seen. Big-time kudos to you. I really like numbers 1 and 5 in particular.

Thanks for sharing Jay Be.

Regards

Des

Thanks for the compliment, Des. A Brisbanite, I see?

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Jay_Be
• •
p.1 #13 · Bats, balls and bails.

kevin s wrote:
stellar! very nice photographs. thanks for sharing. great sport, love that you're giving it exposure (ha, no pun intended)

I like it.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
disci
• • •
p.1 #14 · Bats, balls and bails.

Yep, Brisbane all my life Jay_Be. Looking forward to snapping some pics this weekend at the Noosa Triathlon Multi Sport Festival.

Regards

Des

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:28 AM
Jay_Be
• •
p.1 #15 · Bats, balls and bails.

disci wrote:
Yep, Brisbane all my life Jay_Be. Looking forward to snapping some pics this weekend at the Noosa Triathlon Multi Sport Festival.

Regards

Des

I had a look at your site and love your triathlon/event shots. Plenty of emotion.

Nov 01, 2012 at 09:54 PM
disci
• • •
p.1 #16 · Bats, balls and bails.

Jay_Be thanks for your nice comment - I appreciate it.

Regards

Des

Nov 01, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Bats, balls and bails.

Jay,
Like many Americans, I've never participated in a cricket match- nor even seen one. So I know almost nothing about the sport except its similarities to baseball.
That said- these are excellent shots that even a non-enthusiast like me can appreciate.
Either you used a really long lens or you were on the field of play. In either case- excellent timing and camera work- and super processing.
Charlie

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:20 PM
svanstone9

Account locked
p.1 #18 · Bats, balls and bails.

rddayton wrote:

Lol I noticed that too,

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:53 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password