Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

eosfun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

You may not like Kay's style, but I think he makes a lot of valid points and I do agree with his main conclusions. Canon is late to the party, the price is steep, I'd expect Canon to bring us better EOSfun than this. But hey, who am I, this camera is not targeted to me obviously. If Canon just understood how much I want a mirrorless like this EOS-M to add to my DSLR kit. I could forgive the EOS-M in it's current shape everything including it's price if it just had one of the next features (not all):

- an articulated screen, or
- better (faster) AF or,
- an optical or EVF viewfinder or
- full frame (I know that is too much asked, but at least this would be a perfect fit to bring back Canon for it's quality leadership in the enthusiast and pro market segment)

For now, I see this product mainly as a soccer mom camera and a few users who want a compact system camera and rely on the Canon brand name. Most enthusiast photographers are better off with with a 650D/T4i Rebel which does have an articulated screen, better AF and an optical viewfinder and more system compatibility built in all at a lower price. You really really must want that smaller size to offer all those extra features and give Canon more money too. If size matters that much, I recommend every interested enthusiast photographer to also have a look at Sony NEX and Olympus OM-D

Edited on Nov 02, 2012 at 12:52 PM · View previous versions

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Mr.Lindy
• • •
p.2 #2 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

I enjoy Kai's reviews including this one.

I've gone from having little interest to having no interest in buying EOS-M & the adapter etc...

n0b0 wrote:
http://youtu.be/k4nzXeqkpOE

Basically the AF is a letdown. Oh well... I was hoping for a full frame mirrorless anyway.

On the otherhand, Roger from LensRentals likes EOS-M:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/10/eos-m-first-impressions

Nov 02, 2012 at 12:49 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

eosfun wrote:
You may not like Kay's style,

This particular review looks like a Hong Kong version of "Forrest Gump".

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:31 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

Roger and Kay for a great part say the same: they like the camera, but both prefer other mirirorless cameras to shoot with. Both are disappointend in the AF performance, to my tast the biggest flaw of this camera. The EOS-M is EOSfun, but a firmware upgrade and a price drop away from being a great camera, as Roger says. That price drop is easier to realise though than the firmware upgrade I am afraid. I believe a hardware upgrade / higher placed model is needed to fix the thing. This EOS-M is just not good enough for the enthusiast photographer. They are left in field to choose a CSC from adapted NEX or Olympus OM-D bodies.

Nov 02, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

newseum wrote:
I normally enjoy his reviews because they are sprinkled with a little humor. Could barely stand to watch this one.

Ha-ha! Yes, Kai was a bit frazzled! I think they did pretty well, pounding it out in less than the one hour loaner period, with no script or plan of action. Pretty funny to see Kai like a chicken with his head cut off! I'll hand it to them, they've got balls to put that video together and post it, warts and all.

I think Kai was a little tough on the AF -- he should have known it was not a "run and gun" camera and he kept frustrating himself. IMO the rushing around affected his normal humor and his analytical thinking. Still, I'm a fan, and find DigitalRev very informative and entertaining.

Nov 02, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

eosfun wrote:
Roger and Kay for a great part say the same: they like the camera, but both prefer other mirirorless cameras to shoot with. Both are disappointend in the AF performance, to my tast the biggest flaw of this camera. The EOS-M is EOSfun, but a firmware upgrade and a price drop away from being a great camera, as Roger says. That price drop is easier to realise though than the firmware upgrade I am afraid. I believe a hardware upgrade / higher placed model is needed to fix the thing. This EOS-M is just not good enough for the enthusiast
...Show more

I know you are disappointed, but I don't really see the NEX or OM-D running EF/EF-S lenses with full AF and aperture, do you? That is a big selling point -- no other brand can run Canon's electronics to get full lens functionality (at least not at the moment).

I don't see this body or lens mount as a step to full frame mirrorless -- that would require another lens mount unless Canon can squeeze FF imaging/flange distance through this mount. I see that as the big hang-up all manufacturers face: will there be enough market to support a whole new mount and lens system for FF? It would be cool if there were a coalition like the M43 standards, where FF lenses were interchangable regardless of body or manufacturer, but do you see that happening?

I might be wrong, but doesn't this AF system seem more geared to running stepping video AF? Would the conventional AF systems for DSLR stills be able to do this? It seems like a decision was made for good reason to have this slower AF affecting stills -- I doubt it was random. Any ideas?

Sorry you aren't having so much eosfun with this body. I think we would all love to see Canon produce the first full frame interchangeable lens mirrorless system.

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:00 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

Gunzorro wrote:
I know you are disappointed, but I don't really see the NEX or OM-D running EF/EF-S lenses with full AF and aperture, do you? That is a big selling point -- no other brand can run Canon's electronics to get full lens functionality (at least not at the moment).

I don't see this body or lens mount as a step to full frame mirrorless -- that would require another lens mount unless Canon can squeeze FF imaging/flange distance through this mount. I see that as the big hang-up all manufacturers face: will there be enough market to support a whole
...Show more

Personally, I don't see the "real" use in mounting an EF lens onto a compact camera. The reason I need a compact camera is for the compactness of the system. Putting EF lenses onto a small camera and then holding it away from my face to focus or use it's touch screen just seems rediculous. Yes, you can use your EF lenses...but why?

Now if Canon comes out with a new version that has a proper viewfinder and increases it's array of compact lenses...then it might be worth looking into. But for now, a no go.

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:32 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

Gunzorro wrote:
Sorry you aren't having so much eosfun with this body. I think we would all love to see Canon produce the first full frame interchangeable lens mirrorless system.

Damn right!! For the $2100 MSRP Canon's asking for the 6D, I'd rather have a full frame mirrorless with EVF. It would've been a lighter and more compact camera suitable for the landscape photographers on the go that Canon exec claimed the 6D is aiming at.

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:40 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

I'm not thrilled with it, but I do think I'll buy it, mostly as a backup / travel camera. I'm always nervous not taking a second body on a trip or out-of-town shoot. The EOS-M with an adapter would be a tiny backup, and I'd take it out with a native lens for my snapshot camera.

Right now I usually carry an m4/3 as the second camera. The EOS-M would also serve the backup camera role (not ideally with this 1st gen, but still serviceable).

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:31 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

n0b0 wrote:
Damn right!! For the $2100 MSRP Canon's asking for the 6D, I'd rather have a full frame mirrorless with EVF. It would've been a lighter and more compact camera suitable for the landscape photographers on the go that Canon exec claimed the 6D is aiming at.

We would probably feel different if the FF mirrorless was $3000 and a premium cost for a brand new series of short-flange FF lenses. Granted, it would be cheaper than Leica, . . . probably. But if we get what we want, I'd think it would undoubtedly be beyond the quality level of the 6D.

So, if we get our wish for Canon to build a FF mirrorless system, and it comes in costing nearly as much as the 5D3, we might not be quite so enthused. Right?

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

Gunzorro wrote:
We would probably feel different if the FF mirrorless was $3000 and a premium cost for a brand new series of short-flange FF lenses. Granted, it would be cheaper than Leica, . . . probably. But if we get what we want, I'd think it would undoubtedly be beyond the quality level of the 6D.

So, if we get our wish for Canon to build a FF mirrorless system, and it comes in costing nearly as much as the 5D3, we might not be quite so enthused. Right?

Indeed.

For the cost of a 5D3, that FF mirrorless better be one damn good body, but I don't think it would be that expensive.

See how that Sony full frame RX-1 comes with a list price of $2800, but that's because it comes with a fixed Zeiss lens. Take the lens away and the price should be similar with the 6D, if not lower.

I also don't see what Canon could possibly offer in a FF mirrorless that would make it worth as much as the 5D3. Remember, Canon is very smart, if somewhat ruthless, with their product differentiation.

Nov 04, 2012 at 01:33 AM
Ulan
• •
p.2 #12 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

I've been playing with the EOS-M for three days. No doubt it is a nice and cute toy. With its pluses and its minuses. What I like is the good build quality and ergonomics, though you have no viewfinder and almost everything is controlled from thé screen. The sensitive screen is a pleasure to use and the control of functions very intuitive. The menu is typical of EOS family, so if you come from a recent Canon DSLR you will have no difficulty in navigating through it. The sensor is an APS-C and the image quality reminds of that of the 7D. Exposure is reliable and noise well controlled. You have no built in flash, but the kit comes with a handy little one, that can be used as a master. You have 31 AF points and you can select almost any part of the screen to focus. There is a dial to select an intelligent mode, an ordinary photo mode and a video mode. I didn't extensively test the video function, but what strikes me is the ability of the AF to follow a slow moving target. Now comes the minus : the AF in both photo modes locks rather slowly, something ackward when you are used to speedy engines as 7D or 5DIII. I thought it had to do with the little kit lens - a 22mm, by the way quite performant - but I tested it with EF and EF-S lenses and had the same problem though speed seems to vary according to the glass : it was better with a 135 mm L, was going back and forth with a 60 mm EFS macro or a 100 mm L macro, hunting with a 17-55 mm EF-S. Maybe it had to do with light. But nothing catastrophic as some might think.

Nov 04, 2012 at 05:05 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

Gee the sample images from dpreview don't impress. None of them look that sharp or crisp even at reduced size. ISO 6400 shot looks noisy even as a jpg.

Nov 07, 2012 at 09:48 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

Gunzorro wrote:

right, I want a full frame mirrorless camera at less than $1,000
is that too much to ask for?

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

CW100 wrote:

If I could get that new Sony RX-1 for $2K I'd be tempted. That's Zeiss 35 f/2 is a work of art.

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:31 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.2 #16 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

CW100 wrote:

right now it is

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:42 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.2 #17 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Gee the sample images from dpreview don't impress. None of them look that sharp or crisp even at reduced size. ISO 6400 shot looks noisy even as a jpg.

mine are plenty sharp ( have zoom lens only).. iso 6400 is indeed noisy

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:43 AM
misternikko
• • •
p.2 #18 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

i think he in part tossed this review because some "cheeky fellow" over at sony gave him attitude and put him on 1hr to review schedule. So he handled it like a bitch and didnt give the camera a chance.

I usually like his stuff...and Alamby, but i could barely watch this episode as well.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:39 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

Gunzorro wrote:

right, but I would get enthused for a full frame mirrorless system at Rebel prices

Nov 10, 2012 at 02:50 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.2 #20 · Digirev *PROPER* review of the EOS M

DigitalRev just uploaded a new review of the EOS-M to YouTube. This time, Kai evaluated the camera over a week.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:53 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password