Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 2012 HS Cross Country Regionals

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 2012 HS Cross Country Regionals

I keep forgetting to post these....

Amidst gusts of wind reaching 50+ MPH there was a boys and girls varsity cross country regions race out at NAAC in Arvada. About 12 teams I think...here are just a few from the meet. Normally, I would have gone out on the course some, but with the winds I decided to sit in my car between the start and finish to hide. At the race start, things were fine. If it wasn't so windy and cold, I would have had a wide angle on my 1D Mk II and get some entire team mass start photos, but my hands were getting numb pretty quick with the cold winds, so I decided to just go with long glass. The finish sucked because everyone had the same idea that I did making for the background to be cluttered with people. I really should have gone out on the course instead.

3. Yes, this is a guy!

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:11 PM
FMarquart
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 2012 HS Cross Country Regionals

Carl,

agree with you on the backgrounds at the finish not the best.

Frank

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:45 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 2012 HS Cross Country Regionals

It's a tough sport to make interesting. Many times you rely on the fall foliage to cooperate. I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not crazy about these. And it was nothing that you did wrong. It's just that the environment and the ground especially is so dank and devoid of any rich colors that it really kills the aesthetics of the photo. An option when the BG is dull is to look at manipulating the light in a creative way, find cool angles to shoot from, and/or, although it's cliche, experiment with some pan shots. But, to get creative requires nicer weather where you aren't freezing your buns off, so I totally understand.

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 2012 HS Cross Country Regionals

I'm going to agree with Paul here. The actual athlete part of the shot is nice, but the BGs are meh.

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:18 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #5 · 2012 HS Cross Country Regionals

Backgrounds are a problem, definitely, but unfortunately I would say that Paul is incorrect and you have got something wrong in a number of the photos. You really want to avoid shots with the lead leg on the ground and particularly fully grounded out like the girl from "Legacy". It creates a 'crushed' effect on the runner and makes them look at their utmost worst. Go through publications like Athletics Weekly, Track and Field News, Runners World, Canadian Running, etc and you'll rarely find shots of runners grounded out. The ideal is to catch them at peak float moment. Impact in running is bad.

Sean

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:52 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 2012 HS Cross Country Regionals

cocodrillo wrote:
Backgrounds are a problem, definitely, but unfortunately I would say that Paul is incorrect and you have got something wrong in a number of the photos. You really want to avoid shots with the lead leg on the ground and particularly fully grounded out like the girl from "Legacy". It creates a 'crushed' effect on the runner and makes them look at their utmost worst. Go through publications like Athletics Weekly, Track and Field News, Runners World, Canadian Running, etc and you'll rarely find shots of runners grounded out. The ideal is to catch them at peak float moment. Impact
...Show more

Good points. I agree totally on the crushed effect. We see it a lot in soccer too. Not so much of an issue with boys, but it can look very unflattering on the females.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password