Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              5       6       end
  

Archive 2012 · Pints will be dead.
  
 
mshi
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Pints will be dead.


The sea change is coming. Are you ready for the impact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38&vq=medium



Oct 23, 2012 at 07:06 PM
WAYCOOL
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Pints will be dead.


Beer is dead? Got to have my pint of Guinness


Oct 23, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Mr Mouse
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Pints will be dead.


Only if the cost of the glass is competitive with the cost of a print


Oct 23, 2012 at 09:49 PM
JimboCin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Pints will be dead.


Is there yet another 'go metric' push in the US?


Oct 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Sarsfield
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Pints will be dead.


A pint's a pound the world around! They can't take that away.


Oct 24, 2012 at 01:03 AM
Peter Le
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Pints will be dead.


mshi wrote:
The sea change is coming. Are you ready for the impact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38&vq=medium


now that I had a good laugh I'll go out and take my rocket powered hover car to the store......oh wait....just as predicted over 40 years ago they do exist......just no where to drive them and no one can afford them.
I do think we will see more and more of these.....they are cool.....but the end of prints.....I don't think so and I hope not. There is no way a screen of any kind can replace the look, the texture and the feel of a fine art print in a beautiful frame.....
You must be young mshi......you haven't figured out yet that we live in a technically advanced time with a very technically backwards society. Advancements are not made in our society for the good of mankind.....they are made for profit and profit only.....even if this means stifling growth to hold the current profit.



Oct 24, 2012 at 01:06 AM
mshi
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Pints will be dead.


Peter Le wrote:
...but the end of prints.....I don't think so and I hope not. There is no way a screen of any kind can replace the look, the texture and the feel of a fine art print in a beautiful frame.....


You're right because nothing beats holding and viewing the print. However, the Wolf Camera stores filed for bankruptcy protection back in 2008 because its core photo printing business had quietly gone away, thanks to photo sharing on the Internet and digital screens.


You must be young mshi......you haven't figured out yet that we live in a technically advanced time with a very technically backwards society. Advancements are not made in our society for the good of mankind.....they are made for profit and profit only.....even if this means stifling growth to hold the current profit.


If the status quo could keep their profit centers, Kodak would have not had to file for bankruptcy or the petroluem industry would have been killed in its infancy when the poor lad John D. Rockefeller started to get into oil refinery.



Oct 24, 2012 at 01:55 AM
AlphaValues
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Pints will be dead.


Peter Le wrote:
...There is no way a screen of any kind can replace the look, the texture and the feel of a fine art print in a beautiful frame.....


Except that it already has.

For us as photographers who appreciate tiny nuances of hue, saturation, contrast, etc your statement holds true - prints can carry a vastly superior dynamic range than any non-static output device.

People schooled in the visual arts comprise a tiny percentage of the number of people who consume images.

As has been alluded to in this thread, the vast majority of consumers of images are more than content with mediocre quality and place a much higher value on convenience.

I'm not saying this is good or bad, right or wrong, etc. It's just the way the world is in the fall of 2012.



Oct 24, 2012 at 04:15 PM
BluesWest
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Pints will be dead.


There is no way a screen of any kind can replace the look, the texture and the feel of a fine art print in a beautiful frame.....

Yes, and vinyl record albums with their lovely artistic covers will never be replaced by digitally-encoded music embedded on shiny plastic discs, which in turn will never be replaced by digitially-downloaded music, which --of course -- will never be replaced by streaming music, which, IMHO, will never be replaced by...

John



Oct 24, 2012 at 05:49 PM
mshi
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Pints will be dead.


Futurist Alvin Toffler famously said in 1976 "what can be digitized will be digitized", and he called the process the Third Wave. Back then, many companies couldn't believe the message and ignored him.


Oct 24, 2012 at 06:50 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



WAYCOOL
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Pints will be dead.


Dynamic range of a print ~250:1, of a monitor ~400:1 and up.
I love and prefer a good print but dynamic range has nothing to do with it.



Oct 24, 2012 at 07:05 PM
AlphaValues
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Pints will be dead.


WAYCOOL wrote:
Dynamic range of a print ~250:1, of a monitor ~400:1 and up.
I love and prefer a good print but dynamic range has nothing to do with it.


Good point, I stand corrected.



Oct 24, 2012 at 09:39 PM
runamuck
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Pints will be dead.


Nothing but SPAM


Oct 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM
Alan321
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Pints will be dead.


The biggest revolution will be that everyone will need to keep their desks and tables tidy

It's a good thing that electricity will be cheap when that future comes along.



Oct 29, 2012 at 05:09 AM
andyjaggy82
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Pints will be dead.


It's remarkable how after the heavy marketing and proliferation of digital picture frames into the market.... people still love prints. They will never go away in my opinion.


Oct 29, 2012 at 06:41 PM
hugowolf
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Pints will be dead.


Sarsfield wrote:
A pint's a pound the world around! They can't take that away.

I have always loved the irony of that one, it is a bit like the 'World Series'. I'll mull it over again next time I am in the UK drinking a 20 fl oz pint.

Brian A



Oct 29, 2012 at 06:49 PM
RDKirk
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Pints will be dead.


mshi wrote:
The sea change is coming. Are you ready for the impact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38&vq=medium


Only the top 1% are going to afford that "Day Made of Glass."

And there were big prints on the wall in that video.

Here is a different view of such a "day made of glass:"

Lost Memories
http://vimeo.com/49425975

As one commentator said: "who are you taking pictures for / for whom is this memory to be preserved? the coldly amusing digital era, or the flesh and blood at your side?"

Edited on Oct 30, 2012 at 01:12 PM · View previous versions



Oct 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM
RDKirk
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Pints will be dead.


BluesWest wrote:
Yes, and vinyl record albums with their lovely artistic covers will never be replaced by digitally-encoded music embedded on shiny plastic discs, which in turn will never be replaced by digitially-downloaded music, which --of course -- will never be replaced by streaming music, which, IMHO, will never be replaced by...

John


There are people who still enjoy vinyl records.

The problem with the distribution of digitally downloaded music is the difficulty of finding "CD quality" music rather than MP3. My daughter recently listened to one of my CDs on my stereo system--one of the rare songs from my age that she listens to in MP3 on her earbuds--and was amazed at the difference in clarity: "There's music in there that I never heard before."

Homo sapiens has desired big pictures on her walls for as long as she has had walls. The medium changes--charcoal to tempera to oil to silver halide to digital--but the desire to cover the walls is a 50,000-year-old urge that is not going to go away in our lifetimes.

Let's not be fooled by marketing aimed at youngsters who don't even yet own walls. When I was in my twenties, I wasn't interested in big pictures either--and I was a photographer. My "book" was suffcient. But people get older, get families, get walls, and those same age-old urges that cause early man to paint his walls set in.

I expect that in that "day of glass," there will still be big pictures on the wall. I'm not really concerned if the medium is different.



Oct 30, 2012 at 01:08 PM
mshi
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Pints will be dead.


RDKirk wrote:
Only the top 1% are going to afford that "Day Made of Glass."

And there were big prints on the wall in that video.

Here is a different view of such a "day made of glass:"

Lost Memories
http://vimeo.com/49425975

As one commentator said: "who are you taking pictures for / for whom is this memory to be preserved? the coldly amusing digital era, or the flesh and blood at your side?"


Bill Gates undoubtedly should belong to the top 1% club. Interestingly, I still remember back in the middle 90s, he invited guests to his residence and he used many "large-sized" flat screens to display visual images there, according to the MSM back then.



Oct 30, 2012 at 06:37 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · Pints will be dead.


RDKirk wrote:
There are people who still enjoy vinyl records.

The problem with the distribution of digitally downloaded music is the difficulty of finding "CD quality" music rather than MP3. My daughter recently listened to one of my CDs on my stereo system--one of the rare songs from my age that she listens to in MP3 on her earbuds--and was amazed at the difference in clarity: "There's music in there that I never heard before."

Homo sapiens has desired big pictures on her walls for as long as she has had walls. The medium changes--charcoal to tempera to oil to silver halide to digital--but
...Show more

Yes...but that big picture will be glass that can be changed with a click of a button to a different scene that matches today's party.



Oct 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM
1
       2       3              5       6       end




FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3              5       6       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password