New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First Family In Studio Session

Shootmegul

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Family In Studio Session

My style is more lifestyle and I tend to shoot more on location however recently started started in studio session,

Its very different, still learning, here is the very first studio session with three strobes, two lighting the backdrop and flagged off using V Flats. and one on subjects. The V flats also helped in slide lighting. Learned a lot and still going back to the session for doing a better job.

Edited on Oct 24, 2012 at 02:51 AM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:46 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Family In Studio Session

Hello,

My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you. All smilies I post are genuine and sincere.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

By your title, I expected to see the "First Family" (Barack and Michelle Obama).

My favorites from this set were images 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

I don't like the "Turtle Neck" of image 1.

Facial expressions are tricky...something that may look "neutral" to some may look "NOT happy" to others. See image 2. That image may have the pose of a loving couple looking at their little darling....but I think the facial expressions are "off the moment" and so would scrap (ditch, delete) this image and look for another with more clear expressions of love from the parents.

I also suggest posting numbers IN BETWEEN each photo you post (i.e. number your photos) when you post more than 3 images in a series like this. You can edit the post to add those numbers in between the links to your photos...even after the original post has been seen/posted.

This makes it much easier to get specific comments on particular images.

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Shootmegul

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Family In Studio Session

Thank you steady hand really appreciate your feedback

Oct 24, 2012 at 02:53 AM
Velu01
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Family In Studio Session

I agree with steady and taking people, into a studio, often makes them feel uneasy.
At their home, you'd be the only stranger, now it's not just you, but it's the environment as well. So catching/creating the right interaction is a challenge, but sure fun to practice !!

Advantage is off course the control of light, but here I would like to add that you have to make sure you avoid flair.
#3 for example, check the father's hair ! Father and son have the same hair colour, but you managed to "bleach" him
Other pictures as well ... you got a "problem" on their left side going on.
So I guess you have to re-position lights, V-flats ... just experiment and see !!

Rgds
Velu

Edited by Fred Miranda on Oct 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Oct 24, 2012 at 03:30 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Family In Studio Session

I think you did a good job. Remove the line in the floor in 3 an7 but don't remove the shadow.

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:05 PM
Shootmegul

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Family In Studio Session

@Velu01 yep, now i am more careful with spills, need to practice more in studio with light placements specifically with dynamic subjects.

@jefferies, thank you its on my to do list

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Family In Studio Session

Came back to see how the comments were progressing for you...

Really like those fun expressions shown in images 5, 6, 7.

Those photos are very good for showing a happy kid (in studio)...so, I think THAT kid is what makes this a nice set of photos.

So..."Good Job!"

Oct 24, 2012 at 05:49 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Family In Studio Session

A fun series for sure. Well done.

A small suggestion - in #6 (a favourite) the middle photo has a cut off elbow. That seemed to draw my eye and ruined the illusion that this was all one photo, not 3 placed together. Clone the elbow back in to have a more natural look, even if it overlaps the other photo.

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:46 PM
jfinite
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Family In Studio Session

I prefer the color shots to the bw.

Oct 25, 2012 at 08:56 AM
cannpope
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Family In Studio Session

I like them all! If I were the client here, I would be very, very pleased.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.