Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · PWs at reception

cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · PWs at reception

Gene, I absolutely disagree with all the negative statements noted about PW TTL with Canon mentioned thus far. These frustrations are dated back to when PW first came out with their ControlTL system. At the same time some people don't have the patience that others have or had to endure dealing with the issues. There is a learning and understanding curve with the ControlTL system; they can do a lot once you learn how to use them.

Much of it depends on the gear (flashes) you are using. I will admit that it is not as easy as plug-in play. However, with the RIGHT flash and camera combo it works perfect.

For the record, I had frustrations when I first jumped on PW ControlTL bandwagon. I even sold them a couple of months later....only to repurchase 8 months after that; I kept up with their progress to fix/adjust the issues.

You HAVE TO read PW FAQ page to understand the system.

Because I learned of what works with the PW system best I purchased old used but working Canon 550EX flashes for OCF use. I went this route because I prefer the Slave flashes to be nearly disposable just in case I needed/wanted more or damage from sitting out of my view. I also wanted these because I could use battery packs for faster recycling (instead of the 430EX II which works at great distances too).

Anyway, they work EVERY time for me because I now understand the right combinations.

The other brands mention here probably work just as well. I just so happen to buy into the PW brand prior to all these others (though RP was first on the scene with TTL control).

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · PWs at reception

TTLKurtis wrote:
We're talking about Flex system, Jim, not the Plus IIs

Ah you kids with your new toys. Sometimes the old ways work best.

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · PWs at reception

jcolman wrote:
Ah you kids with your new toys. Sometimes the old ways work best.

Sometimes, the cheapest ways work best too.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · PWs at reception

amonline wrote:
Sometimes, the cheapest ways work best too.

Agreed. That's why I shoot with $2000 lenses and $60 lights.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Gene Schilling
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · PWs at reception

I can certainly see, and also expected, strong feelings on both sides of the PW camp. I am the first to admit I am on the left side of the learning curve when it comes to the ControlTL. Another factor that I didn't mention to begin with is I also want my wireless system to trigger a combination of speedlights and my AB's for studio work. Which is why I ditched the Cybersync's to begin with once I bought my 580's. I also tried, and hated, the Canon ST-E2 garbage due to the line of site restrictions. Basically I want one system to do it all. TTL when I want it, manual, speedlights, and AB's, and above all reliability that the darn things are going to fire when I want them no matter what. I think I may be dreaming.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · PWs at reception

From my POV, for reception lighting, nothing comes close to Phottix Odin's.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · PWs at reception

Gene Schilling wrote:
TTL when I want it, manual, speedlights, and AB's, and above all reliability that the darn things are going to fire when I want them no matter what. I think I may be dreaming.

You're not dreaming at all. I use this combo for weddings and model shoots. I have several 550EX flashes and AB1600 that I can use in combination: TTL for speedlights, Manual for speedlights, Manual and TTL with speedlights and AB. PW ControlTL system works, it's just that out the gate they were crap because of the interference with Canon's flashes. People were, and still are frustrated because the "gold standard" unexpectedly failed. It is well documented and options with the system are available. Since corrections have been made I have not had one fail that I can recall. Again, I went with what I learned that works. Others gave up on PW and went in different directions as noted.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:54 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · PWs at reception

seriously man.. why do you want TTL for off camera flash? It will not be good AT ALL especially if the off camera flash will be within your frame (back lit for example), it will mess up the flash reading because the camera thinks you are getting a lot of light.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:54 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · PWs at reception

Phottix Odn's rule because you can use them in manual mode (which I like) but control the power from the camera position. Seriously, they kill the other solutions I've used and they've been into the trenches this season and come out smiling.

Oct 23, 2012 at 01:55 PM
sn805619

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · PWs at reception

Phottix Odins + Stratto II's = awesomeness.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Gene Schilling
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · PWs at reception

Since corrections have been made I have not had one fail that I can recall. Again, I went with what I learned that works.

What corrections did you make? The "glove" ?

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:35 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · PWs at reception

Gene Schilling wrote:
What corrections did you make? The "glove" ?

The 'corrections' he made were using different flashes.

The 'glove' and all that stuff made no difference when using the 580s.

Oct 23, 2012 at 02:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password