Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Destination wedding tips.

awad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Destination wedding tips.

We just booked our first destination wedding in Hawaii. I'm wondering if any of you that have done destination weddings before could share any tips.

Did you add anything extra in your contract? We added in information about the travel arrangements and lodging, but that's it.

I've got a Think Tank Airport Security v2.0. I'm reading that should be fine for US carry on. Any experiences with that?

Maybe I'm just over thinking things.

Oct 22, 2012 at 01:35 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Destination wedding tips.

dont submerge your cards in salt water!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1158272

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:16 AM
azkaps
• •
p.1 #3 · Destination wedding tips.

I've done a couple. I have a Lowepro x200 Roller that I carry on with me. It has all my gear - I normally check in the light stands/umbrella/softbox in my suitcase. That's all you really need - treat it like a normal wedding otherwise.

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:21 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Destination wedding tips.

Planning makes all the difference. Write yourself a kit list of everything you're going to need and make sure you check it all off as you pack it.

You should be OK for the US but for other destinations make sure you check out visa/customs requirements. Add a clause in your contract as necessary. Check your airline carry on baggage allowance. In Europe it varies wildly, Lufthansa, Virgin etc allow 6kg of carry on baggage. British airways allow 23kg.

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:22 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Destination wedding tips.

bring a charger for your camera batteries. did a wedding in Hollywood 2 years ago. My cameras were turned off when putting in my bag. Got to Hollywood and they were on and all 3 cameras batteries were draining. I did not have a charger with me and only had 1 backup battery per camera. Luckily I went 2 days early and had my friend send me a charger over night for $85. I got all 3 batteries charged and ready to go 2 hours before the wedding. Thank god.

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:36 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #6 · Destination wedding tips.

Thanks guys. Good info here.

Oct 22, 2012 at 06:09 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #7 · Destination wedding tips.

I use Pelican 1510 case for all my gear carrying needs. Good thing about it is, it is carry-on certified so most of airlines will allow to carry it with you instead of checking-in expensive gear. Have enough time between event and when you reach the destination so just in case your flight got delayed or cancelled due to whatever reason you've some time to make it up. It happend once with me when I had to spent overnight at airport due to cancelled flight.

Oct 22, 2012 at 07:19 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Destination wedding tips.

mjoshi wrote:
I use Pelican 1510 case for all my gear carrying needs. Good thing about it is, it is carry-on certified so most of airlines will allow to carry it with you instead of checking-in expensive gear. Have enough time between event and when you reach the destination so just in case your flight got delayed or cancelled due to whatever reason you've some time to make it up. It happend once with me when I had to spent overnight at airport due to cancelled flight.

if I had to travel by air with gear, this is the case I would use (waterproof, crush-proof)

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM
minnigphoto
• •
p.1 #9 · Destination wedding tips.

+1 for the Pelican 1510. Indestructible and waterproof.
+1 for arriving VERY early. We shot a wedding in Hawaii and airline delays got us there 13 hours later that originally planned. (from the east coast)

Fogged lenses and cameras are another headache we see when shooting in tropical locations. Keep your camera in a camera bag when going inside or outside to help slow the temp change.... or we sometimes just leave one inside and one outside.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:36 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Destination wedding tips.

Research the venue to be sure it's not the sort that restricts who may photograph there. This is a bigger problem when leaving the country, but could be an issue at a destination resort or the like, even in Hawaii.

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Neddie Seagoon
• •
p.1 #11 · Destination wedding tips.

paparazzinick wrote:
bring a charger for your camera batteries. did a wedding in Hollywood 2 years ago. My cameras were turned off when putting in my bag. Got to Hollywood and they were on and all 3 cameras batteries were draining. I did not have a charger with me and only had 1 backup battery per camera. Luckily I went 2 days early and had my friend send me a charger over night for $85. I got all 3 batteries charged and ready to go 2 hours before the wedding. Thank god.

I'm sorry but this may be the funniest thing I've seen all day. You spent how much money to overnight camera equipment to HOLLYWOOD

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:38 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Destination wedding tips.

It's rude to pin all of another (local) photographers photos of the location to your pinterest board in order to discuss "ideas" for poses and locations with clients. (eyeroll) Sorry... just dealing with out of town photogs and their shenanigans today.

Make sure you don't need permission to shoot in certain areas, PLEASE! What happens around here is some places require permission to shoot there, in order to minimize getting run over by photographers every weekend. They look public, but technically are private. When photographers unfamiliar with the regulations come in and break all the rules, it leaves the locals holding the bag. So... just bear in mind that although you may never be there again, your actions may have future ramifications. Please and thankyouverymuch.

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #13 · Destination wedding tips.

Don't tell customs you're there to shoot a wedding

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:10 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #14 · Destination wedding tips.

If they ask about all the gear, tell them you're there to take a workshop.

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:27 PM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #15 · Destination wedding tips.

paparazzinick wrote:
Luckily I went 2 days early and had my friend send me a charger over night for $85.

for $85, I would have gone to a local camera store and bought a charger!
At least you would have a spare and can sell it on your return to recoup some of the costs.

That's what happened to me a few years ago when I went to europe.
I discovered I left my charger back home.
I just bought one locally.

Oct 31, 2012 at 09:49 PM
D Landin

p.1 #16 · Destination wedding tips.

I have shot a couple of wedding in Hawaii (Maui) over the past year. I basically carry on all of my lenses and bodies in my Lowe Pro camera pack and stuff it as full as I can and have never been challenged taking it as a carry on. I do check in my strobes and lighting in general baggage (pelican case) and have never had a problem. My carry on always contains 2 flashes that I can use if the main set of strobes is "misplaced" by the airlines.

One other thing I do in my negotiations is that I always try to incorporate more that just the wedding into my services. I do this mainly because I always arrive a day or 2 early and always try to cover my expenses for the entire trip as if every day is a working day. This past May I offered to photograph the Bride and groom at the family events in exchange for expenses! The wedding we shot in May we were able to travel to Molokini Crater, a formal Luau, Family beach BBQ and a volcanoe mtn bike trip with thte expenses paid by the client. They god an amazing photojournal of the trip covered with pro photography!!!!

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:39 AM
abadass
• •
p.1 #17 · Destination wedding tips.

kinda off topic. But if your wedding takes place on the island of O'ahu, there is a fabulous rental place called Hawaii Photo Rental just in case you forget something. The staff there are A+++++++++++++

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #18 · Destination wedding tips.

Let me add another question to this thread as we will be heading to Cancun next year to shoot our friends' wedding.

How to deal with customs? What to tell them so there is not too much explaining to do? I'm planning to travel light, but still - Pelican 1510 loaded to the max does rise questions.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:16 AM
DavidM5
• • •
p.1 #19 · Destination wedding tips.

G-Gore wrote:
Let me add another question to this thread as we will be heading to Cancun next year to shoot our friends' wedding.

How to deal with customs? What to tell them so there is not too much explaining to do? I'm planning to travel light, but still - Pelican 1510 loaded to the max does rise questions.

We did a wedding in Cancun this year and have done 4 there over the years.
At the airport, right after you get your bags and are on the way out, you have to get your luggage scanned.
You then get to hit a switch which either give you a green light or a red light.
Obviously you hope to get the green light as the unlucky ones that get the red light seem to have their luggage thoroughly gone through....

I would try to look touristy and not obviously carry lots of gear.
In your case, since you are doing your friend's wedding, you are essentially part of the wedding party so it's a piece of cake!

I usually fly with a TT Airport International so it doesn't even look like a camera bag..

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:54 AM
awad
• •
p.1 #20 · Destination wedding tips.

Thanks again for all the info everyone. I'm flying out in the AM. Hopefully I can post some photos when I get back.

I saw that the first leg of our flight to HI, was a commuter jet to DC. I figured there'd be no way they'd let me on with my Airport Security packed to the gills on such a small plane. So I picked up a Airport Commuter backpack today from calumet. Better safe than checked.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password