Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need some advice

andrewho
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some advice

I shot a wedding a couple weeks ago for an older couple and just a few weeks after I sent them their pictures and received an email of how nice the images were. They were really happy with them and asked if there were any more pictures of random group shots that we took that they could have salvaged for their own album. An album wasn't in the contract.

I replied and said no there were no additional random group images other than the ones they had asked me to take after the ceremony. I even ask in my pre wedding questionnaire asking for a list of group shots. Instead they wrote down something else in that field that had no relation to my question. Okay sure.

After a few exchange of emails they wrote a nasty email saying how They only received eight random group pictures and did not feel my coverage for the day was acceptable. And now they're seeking compensation for this fact.

It also states in my contract that I don't work from "shot lists" which they may have misinterpreted to mean group shot lists even though I explicitly ask for them in the questionnaire following the contract. That clause was to prevent me from working on specific angle shots and whatnot.

Furthermore, my contract states that each photo is taken at my discretion and I'm not responsible for any missed coverage.

I would have taken group shots happily if they had asked for some or if they approached me on the day of. I can't read their minds.

What do you guys think?

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:09 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some advice

Just need to get them on the phone. Explain to them that you are not holding out on images and would have no reason to do so. If you're anything like me, you simply don't go around asking people to get together for group shots because that's not in alignment with your shooting style. As you said, I only do those group shots as I'm asked to (beyond the family formal stuff, which I also have them create a list for).

Oct 21, 2012 at 04:53 AM
andrewho
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some advice

Exactly and I told them that. I'm not withholding any images that would otherwise deem the set to be incomplete. Those shots are simply setup shots or people are blinking, oof, whatever it may be.

I did however let my ego get the best of me since they had provided me a vendor meal though my contract states I should be fed what the guests are eating and I pointed this out to them, but I let it slide on the day of. Its when they had blatantly accused me of not living up to my contract even though they had apparently made a verbal agreement that I was supposedly getting a vendor meal.

So there using that sore point as their dagger thinking I'm using that reason to put the blame on them for not doing a good job on their wedding.

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:07 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some advice

You just gotta be honest with people. It's like, look, do you *honestly* think I would purposefully shoot differently because of what I am or am not fed at a wedding? How professional would I be if that actually would have an impact?

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:52 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some advice

How does your coverage compare to previous wedding sets they've seen of yours? If they'd seen heaps of group shots from your previous weddings, they may have been looking for that style of coverage.
However if that's not the way you normally work, then they should expect the style of coverage that you delivered
- agree that you can't be expected to read their minds

It's a good idea to find out who all the 'important' people are (i.e. close friends and family) and make a point of getting plenty of shots of those people (though you probably already did this)

Tough situation; it does sound like you did all you could to get their input, and you have a written pre-wedding questionnaire to support your position.

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

scottam10
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some advice

andrewho wrote:
I did however let my ego get the best of me since they had provided me a vendor meal though my contract states I should be fed what the guests are eating and I pointed this out to them, but I let it slide on the day of. Its when they had blatantly accused me of not living up to my contract even though they had apparently made a verbal agreement that I was supposedly getting a vendor meal.

So there using that sore point as their dagger thinking I'm using that reason to put the blame on them for
...Show more

Agree that it was a mistake to bring this into it. It's not really related, and it's better not to be dragged down to their level if you can help it. Oh well, learning point for next time.

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:16 AM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some advice

i would have them indicate exactly where on your portfolio/blog you advertise such kinds of photos. push the fact that you probably should have left those group shots out based on your portfolio, not included more.

Oct 21, 2012 at 07:20 AM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some advice

i would have them indicate exactly where on your portfolio/blog you advertise such kinds of photos. push the fact that you probably should have left those group shots out based on your portfolio, not included more.

Oct 21, 2012 at 07:20 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some advice

TTLKurtis wrote:
I only do those group shots as I'm asked to (beyond the family formal stuff, which I also have them create a list for).

+1

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:36 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some advice

It is little things like your vendor meal issue that set the tone for the whole job. I can't believe anyone would ever mention that.

Oct 23, 2012 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password