Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Senior portrait help

harland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Senior portrait help

Hi Everyone,
I was just looking for some help. I have done a few senior shoots before but they were all with girls. My co-worker has asked me to shoot senior photos for his son. The girls all loved to be in front of the camera so it was reasonably easy. Anyone who has done both, any tips on working with the guys vs. the girls? Any ideas are appreciated.
Darryl

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:45 AM
evillemperor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Senior portrait help

I shot some with my friends, and I agree, guys are harder to shoot. I feel like they need to be more serious, and you need to make them look strong. Shoot chest and higher, and position them so their arms and shoulders look bigger.

Oct 21, 2012 at 06:53 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Senior portrait help

Why not see what sports/activities they like and go with that
Some great images can be made and the guys will love them...

Oct 21, 2012 at 08:35 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Senior portrait help

Guys are more difficult at the surface, but some of them secretly enjoy it. But if your subject really doesn't want to be there and is only doing it for mom, that is pretty rough.

Bottom line is that you have to make a connection with him, make him comfortable and establish some trust that you aren't going to make him look like a chick in his shots. Keep up the humor so you can get a few laughs out of him. Be ready to shoot right after you just shot, so you can catch a little spontaneity. And as suggested above, see if you can incorporate something he is in to - his guitar, car, football, etc. I've shot quite a few guys and not one of them has ever been displeased with his photos. Once you get rolling and show him a few where he looks pretty cool on your camera's viewer, he will loosen up.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM
twags

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Senior portrait help

Great advice already. I've only shot a handful of guys. One of which was incorporated into a family session and he was absolutely miserable in the shots of just himself. Another boy wasn't too happy about having to do it, but I joked with him and spent a lot of time just talking about his future plans, his mom stood behind me making faces. I finished him up in half an hour and he ended up having a great time and was really happy with the shots. Stone walls and urban settings are usually my go-to spots for guys.

Oct 21, 2012 at 01:29 PM

sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Senior portrait help

Interesting comments. To me guys are MUCH easier to work with. They are less picky about how they look, generally have better self esteem, and are easier to pose and make them look natural. Guys just want to look like guys, not so much like GQ cover models. The girls usually are extremely picky about how they look, even down to the placement of a an earring. They want to look cute and attractive, and at least 10lbs thinner than they are.

Split lighting makes guys look rad.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM
harland
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Senior portrait help

Thanks for the replies everyone. Did part of the shoot today. It went really well. This lad actually did a great job in front of the camera. Thanks,
Darryl

Oct 25, 2012 at 06:50 PM
natesphotos

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Senior portrait help

Get a good joke and make him laugh. They'll come off more natural.

Jessica
http://nathanpetty.com

Oct 26, 2012 at 04:12 AM
G Ric
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Senior portrait help

do share. most of them are looking for cool tough looking shots. i do mix it up for the mom and get some smiles, candid in.

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:08 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password