Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

Phocus
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

I am getting a 5D MKII and will need an L-plate. My ballhead is a Markins M20 with the screw clamp. Since I could possibly replace the clamp on my Markins with an RSS lever clamp, or perhaps add another RSS ballhead in the future, is there any reason to not get an RSS L-plate over the same brand as my ballhead (Markins)? Just trying to keep my options open and these plates are expensive. Looks like the Markins and RSS L-Plate are the same price.

I guess another question would be which plate brand do you prefer, regardless of the ballhead - Markins or RSS?

And, do all the arca-swiss style plates fit equally well across different manufacturers clamps?

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:11 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

Two or so years ago I tried a Markins lens plate, and it moved around freely in my (3) RRS lever clamps. I've used many Kirk plates in my RRS lever clamps, and they fit just as well as RRS' own. I've also used Hejnar's lens plates in my RRS levers without issue.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:05 PM
AlphaValues

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

I can't speak to the questions around Markins, but when I was researching L-brackets it was made abundantly clear on this and other forums that not all arca-swiss brackets fit all plates.

FWIW, I didn't have a prior investment in a ballhead, so I went with the RSS kit and I'm thoroughly pleased with it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

dcains wrote:
Two or so years ago I tried a Markins lens plate, and it moved around freely in my (3) RRS lever clamps. I've used many Kirk plates in my RRS lever clamps, and they fit just as well as RRS' own. I've also used Hejnar's lens plates in my RRS levers without issue.

With his screw clamp, this will not happen.

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

When you have a screw clamp (Markins) there will not be any problem using any of the main brand L-plates. If people have problems with the fitting it's with lever clamps

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:52 PM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

I highly recomend the Really Right Stuff L plate for the 5D2. You can likely get one for less than $100 on the Buy and Sell area or from eBay if you want to consider a used one. Just take a little time to understand current pricing, and you can end up with a good deal. And an RSS L plate is one thing you will have no need to worry about condition, because the only possible issues would be cosmetic.

If you ever decide on an RRS lever clamp in the future, you will have the right L plate to begin with.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:03 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

I too recommend RRS 110%.. although I did have to skimp and get a sunwayfoto for my 1DX because RRS is out of stock at the time. Now I see they are in stock...so I need to order up.

Oct 19, 2012 at 07:49 AM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

I own rrs, kirk and markins brackets and use a markins ball head as well as a wembly. For my 5dII the only one that was in stock at the time was kirk, i use a extended battery holder and got the L bracket and it's as good as the others that I have on my other cameras. In other words you can't go wrong with any of the above, it's just price and what's in stock when you need it. I kept the screw clamp on my markins, had the lever and did a "stupid", my fault so went back to the screw, just works for me.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

Stick with the screw, it keeps all your options open for plates.
I have a used RRS L bracket, works great.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM
thirtyfivefifty
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

Agree with previous comments. Stick with the screw clamp. A lever will give you issues with mixed plates. It's just better to stick with one brand of plates though. I am thinking about getting a Markins L-plate.

Edited on Oct 27, 2012 at 01:31 AM · View previous versions

Oct 26, 2012 at 03:03 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

I am a firm believer in Really Right Stuff lever quick release clamps, which is part of why I recommended above that you go with a RRS L bracket now, since you mentioned you may want to change to a lever release clamp in the future. With you at this stage in your collection of Arca Swiss items, it is so easy to go with RRS for the L bracket, and stay with RRS or Wimberley for plates, and keep fully open the RRS lever release option. And in practice, the RRS lever clamps actually clamp on to most any plates you throw at it, but a few are not clamped as securely as they should be.

Also, RRS is starting to address the plate compatibility issue to include even more plates and brackets, with their most popular lever clamp style now rated to clamp most anything. See the following link, and look down to the part in red text:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=B2-AS-II-1/4-20&type=3&eq=&desc=B2-AS-II-clamp-with-1%2f4-20-screw&key=it

It is not clear when or if this improvement will find its way to their other sizes and types of lever clamps, but my guess is that it will.

Oct 26, 2012 at 09:49 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

Yes the RRS L-plates are great

Oct 27, 2012 at 01:07 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · L-Plate Recommendation for 5d MKII?

I've had both RRS and Kirk plates, and I don't think there is a significant qualitative difference. The RRS ones are much more elegantly cut than the Kirk plates.

Oct 28, 2012 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.