Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Price for web only rights?

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Price for web only rights?

I had a company contact me looking for a price for web only rights to one of my images. I just have no idea what the going rate for this is, and I don't want to overcharge and lose the sale, nor undercharge and leave a bunch of money on the table. I was thinking $30-50, but I honestly have no idea what the right price here is.

Oct 18, 2012 at 03:33 PM
cineski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Price for web only rights?

Is $30-50 worth it to you? Personally if someone approached me with this kind of price I'd hope to lose the sale. Start by adding another 0 on the end depending on several factors. How big will the image be used? How much traffic does the site get? Are they selling erasers for 50 cents a pop or expensive cars? How much value does your image have (is it easily duplicated or a once in a lifetime photo)? How much value do you place on it? Since it's web, assume they want to use it as long as their website is up.

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:38 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Price for web only rights?

Charge whatever makes you feel good. Don't get too caught up in squeezing every dime from them. If you feel $100 is fair, ask for it. I'd say $250 is a good price and be done with it.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:20 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Price for web only rights?

One thing to note - I'm not a working pro, which is part of the reason I really dont know what the going rate is. The image in question is a decent image, but not one I'd put in my very best images. It is an interior shot of the Ohio Statehouse, and thus could likely be reproduced by most anyone with an ultra wide and decent processing skills to match what I've done with it.

This would be for use on an association website posting public notices, not a for profit advertising site.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cineski
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Price for web only rights?

Many working pros don't know what the going rate is for usage, nor do many of them even know about usage which is partly why usage is disappearing. The misinformation of the current photographic industry is staggering. But this doesn't matter, nor does it matter that anyone with an ultra wide and decent processing skills can create this. You created this with your ultra wide and your processing skills. It's special because you did it. If a company or government entity or non profit wants to use your image, they simply need to pay you because they can and they have money. I would just quote them the use of the image, web only on the single page you mentioned, unlimited time period, non transferable to anyone else for $300 and see what happens. If they balk at it, just simply ask what their budget expectation was. If they say zero, then it's up to you wether you value your work on not.

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:12 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Price for web only rights?

Jman13 wrote:
I had a company contact me looking for a price for web only rights to one of my images. I just have no idea what the going rate for this is, and I don't want to overcharge and lose the sale, nor undercharge and leave a bunch of money on the table. I was thinking $30-50, but I honestly have no idea what the right price here is.

You can quote them different rates for different usage durations. And you want to charge them big bucks for longer durations.

Oct 23, 2012 at 07:19 PM
dankopp
• •
p.1 #7 · Price for web only rights?

I was just on the other side--we bought 10 photos from a pro for my company's web site. We paid $2,000 for unlimited rights to the 10 images on the internet for perpetuity. He was quoting $250 for each one, but we got a volume discount.

Nov 03, 2012 at 03:56 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password