Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

TehKimchi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

Hey guys,

I've searched a lot online but couldn't find much results: I'm trying to find grids for Elinchrom Octas (the Deep Octa and the El Octa 74"), I don't really care if it's third party or anything, as long as it does the job.

The only find I got was there: http://www.lighttools.com/subgrouping.htm?cat=32317

But seeing how the prices are even higher than the octas themselves, I wouldn't really consider it.

Does anyone know of any other places where to find them? If I'm patient enough, I might consider trying to make one, but I'm aware it'll take a lot of time to craft it.

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:19 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #2 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

Lighttools is the only game in town as far as I can tell. Fabric Octa grids are difficult to make so they don't sag and work correctly.

What you might try is getting some grid panels for fluorescent light fixtures and use light stands to support them in front of the Octas. You can stack them to increase the grid angle. It looks like a big scrim panel and would be cumbersome to move, but cheap.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:28 PM
TehKimchi
• •
p.1 #3 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

Thanks tedwca!

I've been looking at www.honeycombgrids.com/diy-grid-panels, seems that they may be able to provide the material prepared and, at best, do the cut as well. I've sent them a mail, hopefully they'll be able to provide something for the size needed... at a much cheaper price than Lighttools, obviously.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:18 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

Can you actually attach a grid to an Elinchrom? Does it have a lip and velcro? Yeah, Octa grids are crazy expensive but if you gotta have one you gotta have one. Lighttools makes great stuff. If you can put a grid on, you may want to check out Photoflex to see if that'll work but they're probably not as well made as the Lighttools version. This is partly why I'm still using square softboxes....because every box I have I also grid it and I don't currently feel like spending almost a grand on a setup. That's 3 Chimera softboxes for me!

Oct 19, 2012 at 03:16 PM
TehKimchi
• •
p.1 #5 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

Not at all, the outer diffuser is on the edge so adding a grid has to be done externally. I tend to shoot indoors nowadays with lower ceilings and closer walls and hate the spill.
I would never spend a grand on a grid - with the help of patience, scissors, velcrocs and decent craftmanship, I can probably make a decent grid that does an okay job, under 100$. Hopefully.

Oct 19, 2012 at 06:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

400d
• • •
p.1 #6 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

I have the DO 40 degree grid, it's worth the price, it's well built, very robust and it can take some abuses. If you are using it indoor, then a DIY metal/plastic honeycomb grid will be fine. Take a look at Chimera's grids, their price isn't any far off. Here's a thread as a reference for those who are interested in buying one: http://bit.ly/OPKlQw

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM
nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

Thanks, 400d. You must have a robust archive.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #8 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

I have the 30' lighttools grid for the DO. Yes, the price makes you want to cry. But when you receive it, holy mackerel.... it's like how it should have come from the factory. Worth every penny.

Oct 26, 2012 at 07:07 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Honeycomb/grid for Elinchrom Octas?

TehKimchi wrote:
Thanks tedwca!

I've been looking at www.honeycombgrids.com/diy-grid-panels, seems that they may be able to provide the material prepared and, at best, do the cut as well. I've sent them a mail, hopefully they'll be able to provide something for the size needed... at a much cheaper price than Lighttools, obviously.

wow! I'd love to hear more about this!

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password