Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Advice - Quick Stay in Iceland in July

another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice - Quick Stay in Iceland in July

I am going to have a chance to have a couple days layover in Iceland in July as part of a larger trip to Europe. I wanted to know both if that is a reasonable time to be shooting landscape subjects there, and also if there were any recommended areas we might want to try to hit given our starting location of Reykjavik and our limited time. I am assuming renting a car would be the way to go? Any additional info would be appreciated - thanks!

ML

Oct 16, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Sashi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice - Quick Stay in Iceland in July

Mikey

We have been to Iceland this July. Our trip was from 30th June through July 5th. Our trip was focused on the western coast of Iceland. We spent a day in Reykjavik and then drove up the coast to the Western fjords. We rented a car (please note that rentals are very very expensive and automatic transmissions cost extra), a very small one (Hyundai i10) which ran almost $100 per day. This trip was with me, my wife and our two year old.

We drove up to Latrabjarg (the western most point of Europe) and then drove across to the east a bit and then back to Reykjavik. Iceland is such a beautiful country that there are opportunities everywhere. Around Reykjavik, there are day trips to the nearby waterfalls.

July is about the best time to visit, since you have sunlight almost 24 hours, which also is useful for driving, since there are very few paved roads. Since you are from Colorado, I am assuming that you are comfortable driving up and down roads which hug the edges of the fjords.

The people are amazingly friendly. And do not miss out on the natural hot water springs that are always around the corner.

Also, look for posts by Helenica (username) in this forum, who is in Iceland.

PM me if you need more details.

HTH

Sashi

Oct 17, 2012 at 02:30 AM
helenica
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice - Quick Stay in Iceland in July

Actually I don't live in Iceland, but have been there a couple of times. If you have the chance to visit , I would certainly recommend it. Iceland is an incredible country. As Sashi said, car rental is expensive, but then you can go where you want. Bus trips are also expensive. If you want to get an idea of the Icelandic landscape take a look on my site http://www.helenica.nl/iceland.html. I have made a number of slideshows of each region of Iceland. That can be a help in choosing a region. The last one will be up by the weekend. (I have an exposition, so the site MUST be finished)

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM
another_mikey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice - Quick Stay in Iceland in July

Wow - thanks to you both for the great info!

Sashi - thanks for taking the time to make a detailed reply with such good information it is exactly the kind of help I was hoping to get with this post

Helen - I am familiar with many of your shots from simply hanging out and posting in this forum and I can honestly say my great desire to be able to go shoot in Iceland is partially based on seeing so many of your excellent shots from there! it is nice to meet you and to have access to your excellent online website and portfolio when trying to decide how best to utilize our limited time in country. Good luck with your showing - I am certain it will be a great success.

I will have to start serious planning now and I may avail myself of a PM if I have further questions. Thanks again!

ML

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:39 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password