Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Backstreet Portsmouth

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Backstreet Portsmouth

I must confess.
I have also posted this on BW but I find I get different kinds of feedback on different forums. I occasionally post to other forums first when I feel confident the image is at least very solid. Usually I end up tuning things more after feedback here.
So, I feel this image is very solid but that hardly means there isnt more to learn.
While I have specific questions I much prefer seeing what the feedback is before sharing that.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Oct 15, 2012 at 01:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Backstreet Portsmouth

The image draws me from center outward ... in two different directions, due to the subject matter / lines. I want to see where the door leads to, and I want to see what's "down the hall" to the right.

Kind of the typical "no clear subject" ... only now I'm being drawn in opposite directions thanks in part to the right angle architecture sitting in the middle of the image ... almost dividing it into two separate images butted together.

From what I can see of it, the shelving unit, can, scale, etc. provide the most intrigue/interest for me. Combination of distortion and keystoning isn't helping things. I think this is a case of trying to do "too much" ... maybe better served in the "divide and conquer" realm that Chuck used to advocate, or at least moving it off center so that the left vs. right is rebalanced to guide the viewer more.

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:02 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Backstreet Portsmouth

RustyBug wrote:
The image draws me from center outward ... in two different directions, due to the subject matter / lines. I want to see where the door leads to, and I want to see what's "down the hall" to the right.

Kind of the typical "no clear subject" ... only now I'm being drawn in opposite directions thanks in part to the right angle architecture sitting in the middle of the image ... almost dividing it into two separate images butted together.

From what I can see of it, the shelving unit, can, scale, etc. provide the most intrigue/interest for me. Combination
...Show more

+1 total agreement

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Backstreet Portsmouth

An interesting, paradoxical image - and in these political times, why not?

For me, the door, and what is beyond, guided by the lines and floor tiles are initially more inviting than the grounded objects to the right which, without intentional study, reduce to visual clutter.

Maybe this is also biased for my intense dislike for scraping paint and subsequent sanding - and reminder of projects that remain unfinished.

Processing nicely fits image adding the 'antique-like' atmosphere.

Regards,

Bob

Oct 15, 2012 at 04:54 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Backstreet Portsmouth

So, thanks for all the feedback.
The other input I have had either echoes the feeling that the image is too split symmetrically or divides too much into different subjects rather than working as a coherent image, or that the image is just fine, with intrigue as to what lays in the shadowy stairwell.
Shooting the image I did want to capture a bit of the outside clutter with its aged look and to hint at another direction to explore, after soaking in the textures of the doorway. The doorway textures are what grabbed me first.
Here is the OOC image if anyone wants to play with distortion correction, alternative crops, processing.
Looks like my efforts at distortion correction complicated the problem, bowing the door.

Scott

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #6 · Backstreet Portsmouth

Although the image is cluttered and I would like to see both sides of the image the image while being split, oddly works for me. I like the processing and would be interested in seeing any additional images from the shoot but would like to see the perspective corrected.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password