Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Proper printer maintenance

cjwhitsett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Proper printer maintenance

Hey all,

I've decided I'm going to pull the trigger on a printer within the next week. Unless someone proposes a really compelling alternative here (don't hesitate from sharing!), I'm going to get an R2880 (it was between this and the 9500 MkII). BTW, this forum has been SO HELPFUL in helping me decide.

While I'm for sure interested in the 2880 (again barring any proposals you may have), I'm still a little concerned about Epson's reputation for clogged print heads. Some people mention that Epson has seemed to largely overcome their clogging woes on the 2880 and the printers that have come out since then. Is this true? I saw a post on this topic from a year ago... but I think it's worth getting an update... for those of you with Epson 2880s, how are they holding up for you? Any major issues?

At this point, I don't foresee myself having things to print every week. Since I wouldn't be using this printer all the time, what can I do ensure it doesn't develop clogs?

Thanks for your input!

Collin

Oct 14, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Proper printer maintenance

Hi Collin, guess I'll give my 2cents here. I haven't used the R2880 but have had the 3800 for a long time now. It has served me very well with VERY little clogging until just a couple weeks ago because I let it sit for quite awhile without printing. That was my fault and really ' I think ' all you need to do is print 1 small print every week or two and you won't have problems.
Well thats my view from using the 3800 and have fun printin'
Mike

Oct 14, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Proper printer maintenance

keep the printer on and it wont get clogged beyond regular auto clean. also make sure it does not stand near heating and that the room it self is not really dry (is anyway not healthy). One big office flower does all clima a printer need :-)
Print a test muster once a week or when you can, not because you have to, but because 100 muster prints are cheaper then one cleaning and clean office paper also takes dust and rests of the art papers with it.
cover it in plastic cover against dust
if you use cartridges for long time, take them every half year out and shake them, then put back in.
epsons are made for work, they usually dont like to sit around, but 90% of issues is by just thinking that something so precise and using so thick ink can be placed near heating and left drying out without power for weeks. It cannot work.
and yes, when you have some jets clogged, dont just manically start cleaning. Each pixel (point to be precise) is printed several times over and have so high resolution that unless 2-3 nearby jets are clogged you should not see it on photo print.

Our printers sometimes sit few weeks without use and wont get clogged. Biggest clogg we had was a spider though.

if you anyway get some messy clogg, then look again at prices of inks for small printers and forgive and pet your printer with love

Oct 15, 2012 at 09:27 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Proper printer maintenance

1. Keep your printer area clean; dust frequently; best to keep pets/animals out of the area.
2. Vacuum media and media dust (mostly from rolls)
3. Monitor humidity levels to ~40-60%; avoid dehumidifiers and a/c if it drops humidity below 40-60
4. Regular printing helps. I shut my printer off at the end of the business day. It allows the printer to do various checks/cleans as needed when the printer is turned on. The use of ink is minor. If not using your printer for prolonged periods, try a printer utility program called www.harveyheadcleaner.com It allows scheduling nozzle check prints to keep ink moving in the heads, lines, and capping station moist.

ken

Oct 15, 2012 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password