Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

kazinvan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

Travelling there soon, just wondering on the general safety and acceptance of photography in the area. I'm not sure if walking around with a big SLR and lenses is a good idea, not something you can just tuck in your pocket if needed. If anyone is familiar with the city I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:06 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

If you can avoid the thieves and beggars, then it should be an enjoyable trip. Expensive camera? Well maybe this link can help you make up your mind.

http://jacobbmurphy.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/india-day-6-train-to-mumbai-my-first-day-in-mumbai/

Oct 14, 2012 at 01:27 PM
kazinvan
• •
p.1 #3 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

Not sure how easy it is to avoid people in a country so densely populated. I have a D800 but considering buying something small for the trip like an RX100.

Thanks for the link. Interesting and great photos.

Oct 14, 2012 at 03:59 PM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

You should be fine, I am from India and have been to Mumbai many times. You have a bigger chance of being cheated and misled than getting big lenses stolen. Get a reliable local guy asap though.

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:59 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #5 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

You have a bigger chance of being cheated and misled than getting big lenses stolen.

Well, that's a lot more reassuring!

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

Comes with the territory

But if you haven't ever been to the subcontinent, the risks are nothing compared to the experience. Just get a trusted guide and you should be ok.

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:12 PM
kazinvan
• •
p.1 #7 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

Thanks for the info. I'll look for a guide online or through my hotel once I get there.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:27 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

borderlight wrote:
If you can avoid the thieves and beggars, then it should be an enjoyable trip. Expensive camera? Well maybe this link can help you make up your mind.

http://jacobbmurphy.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/india-day-6-train-to-mumbai-my-first-day-in-mumbai/

that was an amazing 'photo story', really powerful at some points

Oct 17, 2012 at 07:07 PM
docfrank
• •
p.1 #9 · Anyone Been to Mumbai (Bombay)?

When in Mumbai, i had to get some cash. The hotel sent me with a guard although just 50 feet from the hotel.

Oct 17, 2012 at 09:11 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password