Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

dougstroud
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

I currently shoot weddings w/ a D3s and D700. I am considering upgrading my bodies to D4 or D600. Anyone shoot wedding w/ the D600? Currently I use an on camera SB900 w/ ISO 2000-2500 on D3s.

Thanks!

Doug

Oct 12, 2012 at 07:15 PM
JR PhotoNY
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

My wife and I shot a wedding this past weekend. I used my D700 and she used the D600. Without a doubt the image quality is better on the D600. It also beats my D700 in high Iso noise as well.

Oct 12, 2012 at 08:17 PM
Swaggart

p.1 #3 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

I shoot D3x which would likely be an extremely similar or same image quality. The much older D3x is fantastic, you'll immediately notice finer details I'm sure when compared to the D700 (I did). The resolving power should be immediately noticeable, although the D700 always produces clean and pretty images so it won't be a drastic change in image quality if that's what you're looking for.

Oct 12, 2012 at 08:22 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #4 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

1) Which would have better AF?

2) If you rated the D700 as having "clean" ISO 1600, with noise at ISO 3200 being "tolerable", how would the D600 compare?

JR PhotoNY wrote:
My wife and I shot a wedding this past weekend. I used my D700 and she used the D600. Without a doubt the image quality is better on the D600. It also beats my D700 in high Iso noise as well.

Oct 12, 2012 at 08:42 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #5 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

I'm also interested in the AF of the D600.

Oct 12, 2012 at 08:44 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #6 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

Kevin Kubota's blog had a wedding review:
http://www.kevinkubotablog.com/kubota-blog/2012/10/10/nikon-d600-vs-d800-hands-on-review-and-tips.html

He and Benjamin Edwards tested the camera.

Oct 12, 2012 at 09:21 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #7 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

I won't use D600 for a wedding without testing it myself in multiple situations first. I am mostly concerned about the low-light AF ability of D600.

Oct 12, 2012 at 09:45 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #8 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

Highly informative link, w/ lots of relevant insight. Thanks.

HappyCamp wrote:
http://www.kevinkubotablog.com/kubota-blog/2012/10/10/nikon-d600-vs-d800-hands-on-review-and-tips.html

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM
JR PhotoNY
• •
p.1 #9 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

Nikon_14 wrote:
1) Which would have better AF?

2) If you rated the D700 as having "clean" ISO 1600, with noise at ISO 3200 being "tolerable", how would the D600 compare?

1. I have not used the D600 alot myself to be able to compare the AF. The only thing I don't like is that focus points are too close together and not spread out enough like on the D700. I'm sure it's not a big deal. But I'm use to my D700.

2. D600 at 6400 ISO I would consider to be "clean". This camera is awesome in low light.

Oct 13, 2012 at 03:45 AM
JR PhotoNY
• •
p.1 #10 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

Here is an image i found as i am editing this past wedding. I uploaded the pic to flickr. All i did was fix the WB a bit. No sharpness or Noise reduction added.

@6400 ISO using a Nikon 35mm F1.4

Oct 13, 2012 at 03:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dougstroud
• •
p.1 #11 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

JR PhotoNY wrote:

Here is an image i found as i am editing this past wedding. I uploaded the pic to flickr. All i did was fix the WB a bit. No sharpness or Noise reduction added.

@6400 ISO using a Nikon 35mm F1.4
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8331/8081659948_87c23efc7e_b.jpg

This looks fantastic!

Oct 13, 2012 at 07:36 AM
drpeters
• •
p.1 #12 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

HappyCamp wrote:

After reading the above review I just assigned the Fn Button to quickly change from FX to DX as suggested. Wow. What a great idea. I'm shooting with two D800 bodies and this instant 50% extra reach will help a lot. WooHoo!

dp

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM
dougstroud
• •
p.1 #13 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

drpeters wrote:
After reading the above review I just assigned the Fn Button to quickly change from FX to DX as suggested. Wow. What a great idea. I'm shooting with two D800 bodies and this instant 50% extra reach will help a lot. WooHoo!

dp

My understanding of a cropped sensor is that you are "Not" getting more reach, you are just cropping your frame.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM
drpeters
• •
p.1 #14 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

You also get zoom, thus a 200mm lens acts like a 300mm lens on a DX body. Sure, I could keep it in FX and crop later, but that takes time. It is much faster to press a button, twiddle a knob and BOOM!, instant zoom.

dp

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:46 PM
dougstroud
• •
p.1 #15 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

drpeters wrote:
You also get zoom, thus a 200mm lens acts like a 300mm lens on a DX body. Sure, I could keep it in FX and crop later, but that takes time. It is much faster to press a button, twiddle a knob and BOOM!, instant zoom.

dp

I think this is a slight misunderstanding- you are not getting a zoom by a DX sensor- you are just getting a crop factor that makes it look like you are zoomed. If you took the same image both on FX and DX and then cropped the FX in post you would have the same result. When I first started l was under the same understanding... it was a little while before I got my head wrapped around this subject.

Oct 13, 2012 at 01:49 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #16 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

dougstroud wrote:
I think this is a slight misunderstanding- you are not getting a zoom by a DX sensor- you are just getting a crop factor that makes it look like you are zoomed. If you took the same image both on FX and DX and then cropped the FX in post you would have the same result. When I first started l was under the same understanding... it was a little while before I got my head wrapped around this subject.

I don't think you are understanding him. He is saying the same thing. It is like he is saying the value of 2+2=4 and you are saying. No, 2+2=4

Oct 13, 2012 at 03:16 PM
fabiocamandona

p.1 #17 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

sorry guys, i'm thinking about 1 d600 and 1 d3s:
when you go on DX you make a crop or you make a moltiplication ?
In practice if I shoot with a 50mm fx near a face I enlarge the face, understand. Well, if I put the DX on D600 is like i shoot with a 75mm or is just a crop of a 50mm picture ?

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:31 PM
dougstroud
• •
p.1 #18 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

HappyCamp wrote:
I don't think you are understanding him. He is saying the same thing. It is like he is saying the value of 2+2=4 and you are saying. No, 2+2=4

You are not adding anything at all- you are not getting more reach so the analogy of 2+2=4 is not applicable. In my understanding.

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:51 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #19 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

dougstroud wrote:
You are not adding anything at all- you are not getting more reach so the analogy of 2+2=4 is not applicable. In my understanding.

Did you read what he said? Last time I'm going to comment on this particular issue. He mentions that he could "crop later", just like you are saying that you could crop in on the FX shot. He isn't saying that he magically is getting more pixels or anything. Just that by switching into DX mode he gets the crop done automatically for him, when needed. Saving time in post-processing.

I still believe you are both saying the same thing of how DX mode works

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:55 PM
drpeters
• •
p.1 #20 · Anyone shot wedding w/ D600?

HappyCamp wrote:
Did you read what he said? Last time I'm going to comment on this particular issue. He mentions that he could "crop later", just like you are saying that you could crop in on the FX shot. He isn't saying that he magically is getting more pixels or anything. Just that by switching into DX mode he gets the crop done automatically for him, when needed. Saving time in post-processing.

I still believe you are both saying the same thing of how DX mode works

You got it HappyCamp, we are saying the same thing.

So, I got a chance to use it at yesterday's wedding and it was pretty fabulous. When I twiddle to DX, I can still see the full-frame image thru the viewfinder, it just includes a DX sized rectangle overlay. Sometimes it was a smidge difficult seeing the rectangle overlay in the darkened reception room, when gunning for crowd reaction shots, but fortunately it blinks red when the shutter button is halfway pressed. Boom! Nicely framed pics of people laughing, smiling, clapping, toasting... without having to crop in post. Yesssss!

dp

Oct 14, 2012 at 06:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password