Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · I know I am crazy but...

ryan21
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I know I am crazy but...

I just turned down a nice six digit salary from HP this morning. They wanted me to work in their graphics art division, particularly printing. After a long discussion with my wife, family, friends and God we turned down the opportunity. When I told them our decision the guy seemed shocked, I guess I just value being an entrepreneur more than the corporate grind. There is something so rewarding about going on a shoot and then coming home and playing with my kids and wife. Money is not a motivator for me, personal and family development is.

Have any of you guys turned down similar offers in the past? How did it turn out for you?

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I know I am crazy but...

Nope, and I don't know if I would. But I applaud you for doing what makes you happy, not just what makes you money.

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:22 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I know I am crazy but...

It's nice that you were in a position to do that. I've had a coporate position the last 12 years, and left it last year to pursue photography full-time. So while I haven't had any offers like that, it's only because I haven't pursued it. I get calls from headhunters from time to time, no interest.

I haven't replaced the salary yet, but I'm enjoying that I have time to walk my kids to school and simply spend more time with them.

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:25 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I know I am crazy but...

No, definitely not crazy. If you've got something that satisfies your own personal hunger, continues to challenge you, and sits well alongside your personal life then I think you're in a pretty good place :-).

And no, I've never turned down a 6 figure salary . But then I don't call myself an 'entrepreneur' either, perhaps that's where I'm going wrong ;-)

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Swaggart
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I know I am crazy but...

Yes and it's totally rewarding! I'm going on almost 4 years at home and I wouldn't trade it for anything-and I've been offered lots to go be in an office-this was my reasoning:
Money can be replaced, easily. I will never have a second chance to see my kids walk for the first time, utter their first words, potty training and all that! My kids are 4 and 2 and I've been here every step of the way with my kids and no amount of money can replace that.

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:34 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I know I am crazy but...

Wow...that would be really, really tough for me to do. Glad you made the choice that works the best for you. For me (never having made near that amount), the increased income would relieve a lot of stress and pressure that I feel to provide.

Oct 12, 2012 at 03:58 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I know I am crazy but...

Life is what you make it; people often forget about family and self. Great for you.

Oct 12, 2012 at 04:02 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I know I am crazy but...

Let me paint a clearer picture of this job... it was a 270 hr/month job traveling from home 3-4 times a week. Not my cup of tea. For others that may be the cat's meow, but I really love being with my family. In many ways it challenged me to create business that provided the same income but allowed me to maintain my lifestyle. So with renewed effort that is going to be my direction for the next five years.

Oct 12, 2012 at 04:05 PM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I know I am crazy but...

congratulations! I'm in the boat of having a good day job, and trying to build my photography business over the weekends/evenings; which it has been slow process but has been getting busy lately!

one thing i learned from working these 2 jobs is that i really value the time i do have with my family and i really wish i had more time for them. So, i think you made the right decision; especially with the travel you mentioned. I'm just in a position where i can't give up my day job, and i'm not willing to give up photography, so it's been difficult (missed swimming classes, late nights editing) but i make it work

end of the day, family & my kids are always going to be my priority, so i really applaud your decision

Oct 12, 2012 at 04:17 PM
ChinhPhan

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I know I am crazy but...

Very admirable, Ryan. I think you made the right choice.

Oct 12, 2012 at 05:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ryan21
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I know I am crazy but...

Appreciate your thoughts thanks!

Oct 12, 2012 at 05:34 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I know I am crazy but...

ryan21 wrote:
Let me paint a clearer picture of this job... it was a 270 hr/month job traveling from home 3-4 times a week. Not my cup of tea. For others that may be the cat's meow, but I really love being with my family. In many ways it challenged me to create business that provided the same income but allowed me to maintain my lifestyle. So with renewed effort that is going to be my direction for the next five years.

well...knowing those details, I am sure you did make the right choice.

Oct 12, 2012 at 06:24 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I know I am crazy but...

Yeah over 60hrs a week, no thanks, and traveling that much when you have a family... That's being a corporate slave.

Now a full-time normal position locally, sure I'd be all over it.

Oct 12, 2012 at 07:24 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I know I am crazy but...

That's being a corporate slave.

That's what my wife said lol.

Oct 12, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I know I am crazy but...

Not crazy. Heck, my business isn't really running, and the consulting gig I'm on is coming to an end due to lack of budget, but they DO have budget for part time. We are talking about doing that, and then I can work on shooting, and the machine shop etc

Oct 12, 2012 at 07:42 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I know I am crazy but...

ryan21 wrote:
I guess I just value being an entrepreneur more than the corporate grind.

Your wife must have a good job.

Oct 12, 2012 at 08:15 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I know I am crazy but...

Given that HP's only clear business strategy these days is firing employees to try to remain profitable, I would say you shouldn't feel too bad about turning them down.

Really, it is impressive how many significant corporate cultures the execs and board members of HP have destroyed over the years (the original HP, Compaq, Dec, Palm, EDS) and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Oct 13, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I know I am crazy but...

The good thing is that as a self employed person you can determine how much you make and 6 figures isn't out of the question just because you turned down the job.

Oct 13, 2012 at 02:57 AM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I know I am crazy but...

The good thing is that as a self employed person you can determine how much you make and 6 figures isn't out of the question just because you turned down the job.

I absolutely agree!

Oct 13, 2012 at 03:01 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I know I am crazy but...

Some of the responses to this are a good reminder of how a lot of people really buy into the mistaken belief that money is the key to happiness. I walked away from a job in which I was excelling at a computer corporation 11 years ago. I just could not see myself doing the corporate thing forthe rest of my career. After doing a year of missions and then some social work I fell into teaching and I have never once regretted leaving the corporate life behind even with all the financial opportunities. sounds like you made a solid decision.

brad

Oct 13, 2012 at 03:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password