New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Looking for a Canon flash for travel

Nozzleforward
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a Canon flash for travel

So after my trip last weekend resulted in shooting a family event in poor light, I've decided I need to get a flash for travel use. I'm shooting a 5D right now, and I've been looking at the 430EX as its 1) Smaller and lighter 2) less expensive than the 580ex series.

My question is this: For (non-pro) event pictures and family photos, are there any other flash units I should be looking at?

Also, if you are in a similar boat, being known as the photographer in the family, what lighting equipment do you take traveling?

Oct 11, 2012 at 06:41 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a Canon flash for travel

I have been using 430 ex with my 5d mk2, I am very happy with that combo.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:44 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a Canon flash for travel

I have a 580, 580II. a 430II and a Nissin Di866 MKII. I think that the Nissin is a great value. Power of a 580 and the price of a 430.

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:55 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a Canon flash for travel

Gwaww, Thanks for the tip on the Nissin, I'll look into it.

Ravis, thanks for that too.

Oct 11, 2012 at 09:28 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a Canon flash for travel

Nozzleforward wrote:
...being known as the photographer in the family, what lighting equipment do you take traveling?

If I know I'm going to be doing some serious family pictures -- at a reunion, for example -- I'll take at least one light stand and at least a soft box, plus a tripod, plus my usual camera pack that holds several lenses, three Speedlites, flash meter, etc.

If I'm traveling for my own pleasure, I usually take the tripod and the pack, but will leave the big lighting gear at home. (I always try to take the tripod so I can get in my own pictures if I want to, not to mention the usual tripod benefits.)

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:02 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.