Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

derbarrett
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

I love using off camera flash for bride/groom, family, and group portraits. In my current setup I use an Einstein E640 with the 37” Buff Octobox and a Cheetah stand. It produces beautiful light, but on a tight wedding day schedule it can sometimes take too long to setup/breakdown and can be very cumbersome to move around especially if I am working without an assistant. Anyhow…….. I was watching one of the Photovison videos today and saw the setup below. I think it may be just what the doctor ordered. Has anyone made anything like this? If so, would you please share how you did it. Thanks!

Edited on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:53 PM
MN_Migrant
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

I don't know... call me an amateur but this set up works way better for me:

3 x SB-900's
3 x Manfrotto speedlight clamp
3 x Cloud diffusers

I always carry a few light duty stands just in case. Obviously there are lighting limitations to such a set-up, but one of them is not mobility.

Oct 10, 2012 at 04:08 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

MN... thanks for your input!

Are there any other thoughs? After closer examination it appears that they modified a hand truck.

Oct 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

My thoughts are that it's a bit overkill for weddings. I use a very simple and lightweight setup. Two speed lights, one pocketwizard and an umbrella on a light stand. It can be easily carried in one hand.

If I'm close by my car and/or venue, I may pull out my Photogenics mono light, large softbox and Vagabond power supply.

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:07 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

I'm going to build one with a radio remote control.

Oct 11, 2012 at 01:46 PM
Marty Malicki

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

Blair Phillips sells something similar. It's a modified hand truck and I think he charges $299. I can't find the link right now, but Google is your friend.

Oct 11, 2012 at 03:22 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

Marty Malicki wrote:
Blair Phillips sells something similar. It's a modified hand truck and I think he charges $299. I can't find the link right now, but Google is your friend.

Yeah I saw that one (Light Rover Version 2) but it doesn't go high enough (max height is 5'7" I believe). Thanks!

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:21 PM
SAllem
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

I saw a hand golf cart modification on another popular forum. (Will not post link here) You can go to the Small Flash and Lighting section and search on "Golf Cart" and the thread will appear near the top.

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:38 AM
vuilang
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

how heavy is your light and battery pack?
if not too much, I would recommend the Cheetah Stand C8.

Oct 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

MN_Migrant wrote:
I don't know... call me an amateur but this set up works way better for me:

3 x SB-900's
3 x Manfrotto speedlight clamp
3 x Cloud diffusers

The problem with this is that it doesn't work in the middle of a field.

jcolman wrote:
My thoughts are that it's a bit overkill for weddings. I use a very simple and lightweight setup. Two speed lights, one pocketwizard and an umbrella on a light stand. It can be easily carried in one hand.

If I'm close by my car and/or venue, I may pull out my Photogenics mono light, large softbox and Vagabond power supply.

And using a lightstand with an umbrella is a whole different problem. It becomes a kite in moderate wind. Using a battery pack provides a weighted base. Having it on wheels makes it easier to mover around with a weighted base.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

If you're committed to using a lot of OCF for portraits in daylight, with the timeline and constraints of a wedding day, I really think you just need an assistant.

Use a Vagabond mini, with a http://www.vmlbracket.com/, mounted to a painter pole with Kacey adapter http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=447

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/506342857_w2wC2-XL.jpg

Oct 14, 2012 at 09:59 PM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

It looks pretty simple...there's not much more to it than a metal plate with a couple of wheels and a lip bent around the edge. Any sheet metal shop could cut and bend the plate...just add your choice of wheels, weld a post on the front and attach the center column from a light stand. If you're handy (or have a friend who is) it wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to build one...

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:23 AM
iShoot
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

Holy crap that's a Profoto 7B.

Oct 15, 2012 at 02:25 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

Found what I was looking for!!! I will try it out @ a wedding this weekend and let you guys know how it works out for me.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:35 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

please do share, I am always working on ways to come up with ideas like this. I just added wheels to one of my light stands, but it is only for indoor use. I have on occasion found ways to mobilize a light, but have not used it for a wedding in that way.

Oct 16, 2012 at 06:27 AM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

derbarrett wrote:
Found what I was looking for!!! I will try it out @ a wedding this weekend and let you guys know how it works out for me.

The center of mass in your rig is to high. It could be knocked down/get unbalanced easily.
You should put the battery on the bottom tray to act not like a counter weight but like a ballast.

Oct 16, 2012 at 07:29 AM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

sorpa wrote:
The center of mass in your rig is to high. It could be knocked down/get unbalanced easily.
You should put the battery on the bottom tray to act not like a counter weight but like a ballast.

Thanks for the input. It has not been completed yet.... I wll be adding a couple of sandbags

Oct 16, 2012 at 08:50 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

I just rigged up my "mobile studio"

Being alone and having the B&G wanting trail images there is no way I am going to lug a softbox or BD, lenses, cameras etc etc. I got a light Alloy dolly & a gun safe of all things. I bolted it on & have pvc pipe up top for lightstand with the vagabond sitting up top.

I'm pretty paranoid about theft (see a vancouver guy lost his kit last weekend), so I wanted a box that was lockable, this was the closest thing I could find to being perfect, I'll look a tad odd but I won't be breaking out in sweat lugging my gear around the trails

Sep 07, 2013 at 09:35 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

Talk about an old thread! Since I posted in here I've switched my set up. I now use a Cheetah light + umbrella/softbox. The Cheetah battery is clamped to the light stand. I can easily carry the whole thing in one hand. I use my camera backpack to weigh down the stand. Works like a charm.

Sep 07, 2013 at 10:40 AM
tonebag
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rolling Light Stand setup for on location shoots?

I realize this is an old thread but I just completed my own solution to the rolling lightstand problem and thought I'd share if anyone is interested. Basically took a welding cart and made some modifications to make it more compact. The weight of the cart and the VII keeps it stable enough and prevents it from going anywhere.

Some of the features include:
1. a small footprint to fit in the trunk of a car (handle is removable)
2. accepts a standard paint pole (removeable) as the stand - (you'll need a Kacey adapter to mount light adapter)
3. upper shelf to hold accessories (padded case from ebay on its way)
4. bottom supports protective soft case which holds Vagabond II & 1 large strobe with accessories (reflector, grids & cord) or VII and two large strobes with cords.
5. rear shelf which can support a couple of additional lightstands secured by bungee cords.

Not a simple DIY but easily done if you have the necessary tools and skills to use them.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7414/9710663539_1bdabb0cca_o.jpg

Sep 09, 2013 at 05:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.