Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's...

TMaG82
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Just took delivery of my new D600 today and I'm a little concerned about it not being new but a return.

If some of you guys that recently received yours, if you can comment on what I've found.

1. The LCD protector was already on the body, though it still had a sticker on it.
2. No sticker on the top LCD
3. Battery was already 50% charged.
4. 1 Plastic pouch was already opened, looks like it held the battery.
5. When I turned on the camera, it didn't prompt me to set a date/time. I know that this is disputed to whether you get a prompt or not.

Is there a way that I can check whether it's fully new or a return? Take a picture and check on flickr?

Thank you.

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

You can take a jpg and upload it to:

http://www.myshuttercount.com/

At least you'll know the shutter count - should be 1 I'd think.

#4 & 5 on your list do seem strange to me

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:43 PM
TMaG82
• •
p.1 #3 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Just did that, it said 3. I'll email Amazon conceirge about it but not sure if I want to go through the hassle of returning it. 3 doesn't seem like it's that high.

http://www.myshuttercount.com/Query?p=14d0bb2bed691ff2

Edited on Oct 09, 2012 at 11:52 PM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:49 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

I don't own one, but most of the time the battery has a half charge (on most electronic devices.)

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:49 PM
jonrock
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

There's also a possibility that someone opened the box but did not take any pictures.

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:50 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Also forgot to mention I've heard of brand new cameras coming with 50+ on the shutter count.

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:50 PM
TMaG82
• •
p.1 #7 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Looks like I'm being a little paranoid on this. I'll play around with the settings for a little bit and see. If it's just something like this I'll just keep it as is, but I did send an email to Amazon regarding this.

Oct 09, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

You should have had to set the language, time and date, immediately when the camera was turned on. If that stuff is already set, then someone was playing with it. There are a lot of other user selectable settings that should be at the defaults as well. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a used item or a return, especially with the extremely low shutter count.

Your description makes it sound like one of the stockboys was looking at it. No big deal, IMO.

Kerry

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:15 AM
nick53097
• • •
p.1 #9 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Check if you sensor have some oil spots, it can be a good reason for somebody to return this camera after few clicks
If no spots found and your lenses focus perfect, just keep the camera.
Both my D600 came with sealed accessories and 0 actuations, both have some dust on sensor (I just clean it)

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #10 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

1. The LCD protector was already on the body, though it still had a sticker on it.
Last 6 cameras I've purchased new (Nikons) have come with lcd protector on. Some don't come with a sticker (D800s all do not come with stickers none of mine have)

There is no sticker for top lcd

So far all Nikon's I have ordered new have come with Batteries partially charged

Was there tape on the plastic pouch? If not, the battery may have just slipped out.

5. When I turned on the camera, it didn't prompt me to set a date/time. I know that this is disputed to whether you get a prompt or not.

None of the Nikons bought this year D800s and D600 have prompted me to enter dates.

Your shutter count says 3 - this is the biggest indicator that it may have been used.

But its possible that you had take a few shots without a memory card in the camera?

Edited on Oct 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #11 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Kerry Pierce wrote:
You should have had to set the language, time and date, immediately when the camera was turned on. If that stuff is already set, then someone was playing with it. There are a lot of other user selectable settings that should be at the defaults as well. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's a used item or a return, especially with the extremely low shutter count.

Your description makes it sound like one of the stockboys was looking at it. No big deal, IMO.

Kerry

This is not true.
I have had 5 D800(e)(s) and none have required me to set date or time/zone

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #12 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

My D600 had a sticker on the top LCD screen and required me to enter language and date/time a soon as I put a charged battery in. Not sure I'd the battery it came with had one or not since I have a D7000 with extra battery already charged. I just used it and the new one went straight to the charger.

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:44 AM
montym
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

All you have to do is return it! IT's easy
Then order another one.

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:47 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

is it really worth returning and waiting for something that isn't broken?

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Kerry Pierce wrote:

Kerry

vchowdhary wrote:
This is not true.
I have had 5 D800(e)(s) and none have required me to set date or time/zone

How do you know that those weren't just retreads, with all of the problems the d800 has been having? I've purchased 2 new cameras this year and both were as I described, as were all of the new cameras I had previously.

Kerry

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:38 AM
bbvaj
• •
p.1 #16 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Everytime you turn on/off live view your shutter count increases by 1. So if you started live view couple of times before taking the first shot or fired the camera without a card in it. Both will count as shutter releases.

None of the five points to that its a used camera. If its 3.. most likely its brand new.

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Sweetf8

p.1 #17 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Kerry Pierce wrote:
How do you know that those weren't just retreads, with all of the problems the d800 has been having? I've purchased 2 new cameras this year and both were as I described, as were all of the new cameras I had previously.

Kerry

I've had 2 D800e, both at 0 shutter count, none had date and time prompt nor sticker on top LCD.

Which cameras you bought that had those Kerry? I don't mean to differ with you, I am just curious and would like to know.

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:58 AM
Sweetf8

p.1 #18 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Kerry Pierce wrote:
How do you know that those weren't just retreads...

Kerry

By the way, Nikon dealers can't sell those as new, they should be classified as refurbished. If they do, it's fraudulent.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:02 AM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

TMaG82 wrote:
Just took delivery of my new D600 today and I'm a little concerned about it not being new but a return.

If some of you guys that recently received yours, if you can comment on what I've found.

5. When I turned on the camera, it didn't prompt me to set a date/time. I know that this is disputed to whether
...Show more

It's your money so don't let others tell you what not to do. Next time order two instead. Hopefully just need to send back one.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:02 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #20 · Just bought a new D600 from Amazon, but I'm not sure it's new..

Kerry Pierce wrote:

Kerry

All had 0 actuations until I put one on them?

We can be paranoid and assume that someone is messing with the cameras, and believe me, I am paranoid about such things.

3 separate stores can't all be selling returned items.

2 of the D800s were from the first batch received by either Vendor Amazon and Samys

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password