Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

Anyone care to share their experiences?

http://lumopro.com/product.php?id=25

At only $180, I'm considering getting them instead of more used SB-900's for $350 each or new SB-910's at $549 + tax.

I don't care about the lack of TTL- I'd be using them to light reception halls at weddings and would set them manually. But I've read that they have an annoying high-pitched noise while they're recycling. Not so bad during dancing w/ music playing to drown it out, but it might be an issue while someone's toasting the bride/groom.

It'd also be nice to know if there are any tungsten gel filters available for them.

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:36 PM
LumoPro

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

We've tested this, the LP160 does work on the TT5 as long as it is programmed in a configuration setting with no TTL signal transmission.

It does have a high pitched capacitor charge. There are gels available for it. The Rosco Strobist Collection works as does the Rogue Universal Gel Kit from ExpoImaging.

Feel free to contact us with any questions!

Cheers,

Kevin
Product Manager
LumoPro

Oct 09, 2012 at 05:15 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

Kevin, welcome to Fred Miranda. Good to have another manufacturer/distributor on board.

(Any word on that bare-bulb flash gun we talked about a few years ago?)

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:39 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

I have 3 of these that I run as off camera flashes during receptions. I'm incredibly impressed with them. Super easy to use, very powerful, backlit LCD, and better build quality than my SB-900. All for less than half of the LP160. I recommend giving them a go.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

Kevin,

Thanks for the feedback. When I checked earlier today & didn't see any responding posts, I threw in the towel & just went ahead and ordered two based upon feedback I've heard from other sources. Depending on the results, I may order 2 more.

Great to see that they're not only cheaper, but also don't have the overheating issues of the SB-900 & SB-910. Nothing's worse than culling through & seeing an otherwise terrific reception pic with great expressions ruined because only some of the off-camera strobes fired.

Two suggestions for improvement:
-Put in + and - signs for the batteries like on the SB-900/910's.
-Put in a battery life remaining gauge like on the Metz AF 58.

LumoPro wrote:
We've tested this, the LP160 does work on the TT5 as long as it is programmed in a configuration setting with no TTL signal transmission.

It does have a high pitched capacitor charge. There are gels available for it. The Rosco Strobist Collection works as does the Rogue Universal Gel Kit from ExpoImaging.

Feel free to contact us with any questions!

Cheers,

Kevin
Product Manager
LumoPro

Edited on Oct 10, 2012 at 01:43 AM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:37 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

I've heard/read about these Yongnuo's as well, w/ many people claiming results similar to the rim lighting in your Strawberry Fields post.

But there were also some people who complained about quality control issues with them. Guess it just depends... maybe this is China's way of replicating American cars that are built on Monday mornings.

mikethevilla wrote:
I have 3 of these that I run as off camera flashes during receptions. I'm incredibly impressed with them. Super easy to use, very powerful, backlit LCD, and better build quality than my SB-900. All for less than half of the LP160. I recommend giving them a go.

Oct 10, 2012 at 01:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

The nature of the human beast. Just because someone/few have a problem doesn't mean quality control issues. Every product has a few bad apples. Lexus, BMW, Jag, GM, Honda, Ford, etc ALL have had recalls of some type this year, last year, the year before.....Do all of these have QC issues?

Oct 10, 2012 at 02:14 PM
LumoPro

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

@BrianO- Thanks for the welcome! I intend on trying to be more active on FM forums, I can't be there for every lighting question, however if I see something that I can inject a quick answer in- I fully intend to. I'll also be keeping a look out for any questions about my company's products!

@Nikon_14- Glad to hear you ordered them! If you look on the interior of the battery compartment, there are symbols to indicate battery direction. I'll admit- they aren't that easy to see and need improvement. The battery indicator you mentioned is also something we've been looking into. We're in the development stages of something new- I can't say anything because honestly not much is set in stone. But we look forward to hearing anybody's input to make our product better.

To all on the YN-XXX flash units. I don't want to create a large debate about this, but just to point on the price on them is low for a reason: "you get what you pay for" Our flash units hold 2 year international warranties and is put through serious QC, our light stands guaranteed against defect for 5 years. I stock significant quantity of replacement parts for nearly every product we carry and often repair stuff myself. If anybody has any problems, questions, comments, or input about my product- I'm all ears, I love to listen to new ideas and help develop products not for the sake of industry standard, but for those who actively use our products.

Cheers,

Kevin
Product Manager
LumoPro

Oct 10, 2012 at 04:57 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

LumoPro wrote:
our light stands guaranteed against defect for 5 years.

Well, given that the ProMaster I had was defective after <2 years of use, I'm glad that you mentioned that you make lightstands. Is MidWest Photo Exchange the only dealer for them?

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:02 PM
LumoPro

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

Our lightstand are available at 3 of the 4 world wide dealers:

US- Midwest Photo Exchange: www.mpex.com
EU- CameraTools: www.cameratools.nl
China- Shanzhuoboshi: www.shanzhuoboshi.com

Oct 10, 2012 at 05:15 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

I've heard about issues with the original 560s, but not so much with the version IIs. I've dropped mine from 4 feet three different times now and had no problems. I will say though that LumaPro's warranty and support looks excellent.

Looks like it's hard to go wrong with either option really. Long live competition.

Nikon_14 wrote:
I've heard/read about these Yongnuo's as well, w/ many people claiming results similar to the rim lighting in your Strawberry Fields post.

But there were also some people who complained about quality control issues with them. Guess it just depends... maybe this is China's way of replicating American cars that are built on Monday mornings.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:48 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · LumiPro 160 & PW TT5 on Nikon- any experiences?

The Yongnuo's are fantastic. I've got the 560, a 565EX, and various triggers. They have never let me down.
My Nikon SB600 died last week. That was my last Nikon flash. I won't be buying any more when I can get a cheaper, more powerful Yongnuo 565EX

Oct 11, 2012 at 08:10 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password