Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My D2H died today...

84FJ60
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My D2H died today...

Friends:

Looks like something went wrong with the shutter. This has been a trusty backup since the D300 arrived many years ago. I've used this body in recent years for outdoor action and events when file size didn't matter.

For the past year or two, the first photo fired in a series on the D2H had been black, and then everything would work fine. Today, I got an ERR message on firing that will go away when the shutter button is depressed a second time, but no image is taken. It just cycles through this ERR message with the shutter locked closed. I tried the two-button reset, but the problem still persists. It only has 101,000 shutter actuations, so it is well short of the advertised shutter lifespan.

I doubt that it is worth it to get the body fixed, considering how little these things are worth today. Anyone have any ideas that I may have overlooked?

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:25 AM
KABeach
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My D2H died today...

Just the usual, check the lens, make sure it is mounted correctly - if it is an older lens with an aperture ring, make sure it is locked - clean lens contacts.

I still use a pair of D2h for newspaper work (big enough files for what I need). I've had the black first frame on both of them since they were new.

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:42 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My D2H died today...

I would either send it to Nikon or replace the D2H.
They will give you a free estimate.
I've had many D1-4 cameras including 2 D2H
One went over 1 million activations and another had the shutter fail before 100k.
I never had the black first frame thing or I would have returned the camera as defective.
98% of the time the first shot is the one I use.

Edited on Oct 09, 2012 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:49 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My D2H died today...

well, its never been a better time to pick up a used D3, maybe its a sign!

on a side note, it must suck to have a camera fail on you. *knock on wood* it hasn't happened to me yet. I know the D2h was an awesome camera to use, I never got to use it in its prime

Oct 09, 2012 at 01:56 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My D2H died today...

BenV wrote:
well, its never been a better time to pick up a used D3, maybe its a sign!

on a side note, it must suck to have a camera fail on you. *knock on wood* it hasn't happened to me yet. I know the D2h was an awesome camera to use, I never got to use it in its prime quote<<<

All the D series have been awesome!
A D3 will totally blow away the D2h in all ways but one.
Reach.
It was a truly revolutionary camera.

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ints1978
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My D2H died today...

mine has a same problem with first frame issue with D2H.

but, I just need to press one more time and it works well.

hmmm ...

Oct 09, 2012 at 03:15 PM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My D2H died today...

Thanks everyone!

The problem persists no matter what lens is mounted (G or D - with locked aperture ring). I like having this camera around just because of its small file size, so I may just bite the bullet and send it in for service.

Sincerely,
David - a Colorado Nikonian

Oct 10, 2012 at 04:20 AM
fishfilm
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My D2H died today...

Well known issue with the D2h(s). (That Nikon never copped to...) Mine went out about 30k years ago. Fix was $250.

Oct 10, 2012 at 03:10 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My D2H died today...

Check with APS (nikoncamerarepair.com) and see what they think it will cost for a repair. Getting ready to send my D300s in to them for some work, too.

Oct 11, 2012 at 02:15 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My D2H died today...

I am deeply sorry to hear..... my D2h (which belongs to someone else) died about a year after I sold it to my friend. It was a sad day, as I loved that camera.

Oct 11, 2012 at 04:16 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password