Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

sherijohnson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

I had something happen yesterday that never happened to me before..... SO in hopes of not dropping anything, I welcome ideas of how to prevent this from happening again. For several years now I have been shooting with 2 bodies and just recently acquired a new body & lens (70-200). Yesterday I noticed the body with the 70-200 lens was displaying 0.0 f stop, I knew something was up, but thought it was some kind of error message, my thought was to remove battery and reinsert and also do the same with the memory card. In the process of turning the camera, the lens basically came off the body and I apparently had mistakenly made contact with the lens release button while holding the camera. I know many of us wedding photographers shoot with two bodies at the same time..... so how do you prevent this from happening? I was very glad I had my hand on the lens when it came off.

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:40 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

I'm unclear as to how this happened.. it sounds to me like your lens wasn't locked on.. which was why it was displaying 0.0 f stop.

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

I find using 2 cameras simultaneously with 70-200 is kinda hard. I rather use 1 body and pouches to change lens. I like 2 bodies and 2 primes better.

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:47 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

I have had the same thing happen. I use two rapid r straps o both cameras. The camera with the 70-200 has the strap attached to the lens and not the camera.

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:49 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

RichardLavigne wrote:
I'm unclear as to how this happened.. it sounds to me like your lens wasn't locked on.. which was why it was displaying 0.0 f stop.

it was working just fine, but somehow I think I bumped the button that releases the lens without realizing it, trust me, at first, I was way confused as to what was going on. I have never had my camera turned on when there wasn't a lens attached, so I never saw that before. of course I was determined to get things working right when I discovered the lens was coming off.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:00 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

jcolman wrote:
I have had the same thing happen. I use two rapid r straps o both cameras. The camera with the 70-200 has the strap attached to the lens and not the camera.

somehow I knew I was not alone, so did your body fall to the ground or floor?

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:01 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

sherijohnson wrote:
somehow I knew I was not alone, so did your body fall to the ground or floor?

No because I had my hand on the camera. The strap was around my neck so the lens didn't fall.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:12 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

if you have zoom on the cam you can just duct tape the lens to the body.
one friend of me have sewed of lens release button to make it less protruding.
i never had issue with that if it is locked in, aside from situations where lens fellt down because i (being nervous) was playing with lens release button.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:14 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

jcolman wrote:
No because I had my hand on the camera. The strap was around my neck so the lens didn't fall.

lucky

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:32 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

just got everything out and toyed with a different carrying plan.... gonna have to test it out on a shoot though to see how everything goes.... though I welcome any and all ideas

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #11 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

just make sure you hear and feel a click when you put a new lens on - that was your issue most likely. Ive done the same thing - we get used to moving quickly that we sometimes end up failing to do the basics and make simple mistakes

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:02 PM
coreymatthew
• •
p.1 #12 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

I use this http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-RSD-1BB-Double-Strap-Black/dp/B003KIIQYG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1349730427&sr=8-2&keywords=rapid+strap+dual and love it.

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:07 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

Had this happen a few times, but only when I shot Canon. Its scary for sure.

I used dual r straps in the past but since moved to shooting primes and 1 body only. I just go back to my bag and swap cameras with different lenses attached now. I have a few friends that love the r straps and swear by them. Try them out.

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:09 PM
fotojennik
• •
p.1 #14 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

Spider Dual Camera System for me, couldn't imagine it any other way.

http://www.spiderholster.com/dual-camera-system.html

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:17 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

If you don't change lenses it makes sense to support a large lens by the lens. Why not put the strap to the tripod mount on the lens instead of the body?

Gordon

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:25 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

flash wrote:
If you don't change lenses it makes sense to support a large lens by the lens. Why not put the strap to the tripod mount on the lens instead of the body?

Gordon

I was wondering about this and what kind of strap to try with the lens, I know I saw some kind of strap recently that actually supports the lens and you still use a neck strap too.... but that probably won't work when carrying two cameras.

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:30 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

fotojennik wrote:
Spider Dual Camera System for me, couldn't imagine it any other way.

http://www.spiderholster.com/dual-camera-system.html

you like that? doesnt feel weird running around all day?

Oct 09, 2012 at 04:53 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

I love my new dual Custom SLR straps. Under a suit coat it is very inconspicuous, and even after 8 hours, it was still very very comfortable.

Oct 09, 2012 at 05:17 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #19 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

I've had this before where you have a mild panic attack thinking something's wrong with the camera when you just didn't turn the lens all the way on.

I just wing it with regular op-tech straps over each shoulder, and I use the 70-200 very little so it's not much of an issue but it is an awkward lens and so much heavier and larger than my other lenses. I should eventually look into a dual-strap harness or something but so far this has worked fine for me. I honestly hate straps and usually fashion the strap around my forearm/wrist when shooting or just let it dangle down. I hardly ever put a strap around my neck when I shoot.

Oct 09, 2012 at 07:33 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Ideas about carrying 2 cameras at one time...

I've been carrying 2 cameras for the past 4 years at every wedding we shoot.... I've used normal straps, rapid straps, the dual rapid strap and now spider holsters... never had a problem like this.

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:03 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password