Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Million dollar highway.

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Million dollar highway.

This is hwy 550 in Colorado near Molas Pass just south of Ouray. I saw the color as I was driving and these are all hand held snapshot sort of images.

No matter, I think they work better than the reflection shot I just showed. Not sure why, if I am right, perhaps you guys can explain it to me. If wrong, well that helps too.

I am having some trouble figuring out the best way to present fall color and still have a few opportunities left.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens    40mm    f/8.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens    35mm    f/6.3    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens    33mm    f/8.0    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:45 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Million dollar highway.

The composition is better. A centered composition of the reflection image is visually static. (Top and bottom halves compete equally for visual attention. Occasionally a static composition can work, but for most landscapes less static compositions are better.) These images are about the mountains autumn foliage. The composition is one that makes it all about the mountains and the foliage. If the skyline was centered, the sky would dilute the message by competing for visual presence.

Oct 08, 2012 at 07:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Million dollar highway.

Thanks. Still trying to learn what to include in fall pictures. I always go for grand vistas but today I tried for single trees in addition to grand vistas. That's probably my limit on small scene stuff.

Oct 08, 2012 at 09:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Million dollar highway.

Ben,
I think these are beautiful captures.
I am with Karen on the feedback about centering, although I sometimes go for centering and symmetry plays as well.
I think each of these works as is, but here are some (useful?) nits.
1. I think the image is very nicely balanced, well-framed with the tall tree on the left. To me the "subject", which is a choice, is the yellows especially among the rolling hills in the bottom half image, predominantly on the left. It draws the eye with brighter values, warmer colors, contrast from the cool and darker tones, and with the visibly detailed terrain. If you were to crop just a bit from the sky the effect, for me, is to be drawn more fully into the scene rather than looking up to the sky and then down below. However I dont think this crop can then maintain the same format.
2. Just right. Great work!
3. Another beauty but the road detracts to a nitpicker like me.
Scott

Oct 09, 2012 at 12:44 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Million dollar highway.

Thanks Scott. Good info here. I wished I could have avoided the road as well, you know these places with great scenery and limited pullouts.

I suppose I could clone out the contrails in #2 as well. I agree on the first one about a crop.

Oct 09, 2012 at 02:06 AM
IndyFab
• • •
p.1 #6 · Million dollar highway.

Great set.

Oct 13, 2012 at 04:13 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password