FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Care for 5Dc

sushmit
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Care for 5Dc

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a 5Dc due to my limited budget but I have heard people having problems with it after a few months and some of them have needed CPS to change the sensor. I was wondering if there is any protection/warranty i could buy to cover such problems?

Thanks a lot

Oct 07, 2012 at 07:56 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Care for 5Dc

Where did you've heard something la this ? The only problem that appear in time is the mirror fall (a lot of owners and I mean a lot of them complained about this issue.).But beside this, is an incredible camera. Look for a responsible owner that wants to sell it and enjoy !!!

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:53 AM
sushmit
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Care for 5Dc

Thanks a lot gabimaster one of the fellow FM member bought a 5Dc with 4000 actuation and within 2 months it stopped working due to prior water damage to the sensor and CPS asked 1K for replacing it. This was 1 year ago though and would want to be protected from such a problem

Oct 07, 2012 at 08:59 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Care for 5Dc

sushmit wrote:
Thanks a lot gabimaster one of the fellow FM member bought a 5Dc with 4000 actuation and within 2 months it stopped working due to prior water damage to the sensor and CPS asked 1K for replacing it. This was 1 year ago though and would want to be protected from such a problem

Well then buy from a store that gives some sort of warranty on 2nd hand equipment.

Your 'friend' bought a camera that had water damage. So that's going to be classed a 'user damage' (even if it want you friend who damaged it) so no warranty you could buy would cover that .

But you have to think about what you are saying as well . In your OP you say that you heard of problems that needed sensors to be replaced. But then say your friend had a camera that had water damage. That's not a problem with the camera/s that need parts to be replaced . That's just a damaged item .

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:08 AM
EL_PIC

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Care for 5Dc

Water Damage is an Owner Problem not a camera problem and a stupid one at that.

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:19 AM
sushmit
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Care for 5Dc

Hahah I agree with you El_PIC but was just wondering if by paying a few bucks I could insure my camera then I would feel more comfortable buying it.

Thanks

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:32 AM
sushmit
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Care for 5Dc

Got it Ian Dobinson, I understand what you, EL_PIC and gabimaster have been saying, i was just curious to know if there was a third party insurance I could take after purchasing a 5Dc which would cover such costs (after prob an inspection)

Oct 07, 2012 at 09:34 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Care for 5Dc

Sushmit, just buy from a reputable seller and don't worry so much. I would make sure the mirror box has been fixed but otherwise there's no sensor issues with the 5Dc. There's no insurance inspections that are done on used cameras and if there were it would be a crock with someone trying to make money off people who worry too much ;-). Also, there's plenty of places online to buy used gear that comes with a small warranty. Just buy it, take delivery, check it out visually and if it works you got a great camera.

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:02 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Care for 5Dc

Cameras are a little bit more durable than we are lead to believe.

I didn't do anything special when I owned my 5D original.

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Sam tran
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Care for 5Dc

Cameras are a little bit more durable than we are lead to believe. - RobertLynn
Quite true. The 5Dc that I still have is a reason that I able to avoid the temptation of 5D-II or even 5D-III so far. If you can't depend on luck, then you pay for what you get, just use common sense and buy a from a trust party, even if it may cost little more. Come to think of it, for a "little more" you can get a new 5D-II now before the inventory ran out. You'll get peace of mind and a lot of good things from 5D-II.

Oct 07, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Care for 5Dc

My 5Dc is still going strong and I purchased it new. So is my 10D for that matter although it gets minimal use. More to the point I've been reading these forums for a long time and the issue of old cameras having problems is a rare one. If you buy a high milage one, the shutter does have a life time. The 5Dc mirror is covered under warranty so if you send the camera to Canon for clean and check they will fix the mirror if it wasn't already done. There is always risk when buying used gear, that is part of the reason it is cheaper.

I had to put $4K into mechanical repairs on my used Dodge truck this year. I said some choice words about it, but I'm still money ahead of where I'd be buying new.

Oct 07, 2012 at 11:38 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Care for 5Dc

Sam tran wrote:
Quite true. The 5Dc that I still have is a reason that I able to avoid the temptation of 5D-II or even 5D-III so far. If you can't depend on luck, then you pay for what you get, just use common sense and buy a from a trust party, even if it may cost little more. Come to think of it, for a "little more" you can get a new 5D-II now before the inventory ran out. You'll get peace of mind and a lot of good things from 5D-II.

Yeah it may be worth it to atretch the budge for one, especially a new warranty!

Oct 07, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Care for 5Dc

sushmit wrote:
I am planning to buy a 5Dc due to my limited budget but I have heard people having problems with it after a few months and some of them have needed CPS to change the sensor. I was wondering if there is any protection/warranty i could buy to cover such problems?

1) The 5D Classic is a reliable workhorse given ordinary reasonable care. There is no need to replace the sensor in greater numbers than other cameras. You may have heard about the mirror adhesive problems, but Canon fixes that for free even now, and you can check visually to see if it has been fixed anyway.

I have had my 5D Classic for over six years now.

The shutters are rated for "between 50K and 150K" actuations. Experience has shown that the upper end of the range is very realistic.

2) Buying a warranty or insurance for repairs is betting against yourself. It is not worth it in the long run. The only need for it would be to insure against total loss or catastrophic loss.

You get car insurance because the cost of replacing a totaled car is catastrophic.

The cost of replacing a camera from a line that is over seven years old is not catastrophic.

The warranty / insurance companies make a profit because they sell the warranty for more than the risk-cost (risk times cost) of fixing the cameras. There is a low chance of them needing fixing.

Look at it this way (figures approximate): Suppose you get a relatively low actuation camera (say less than 50K) for, say, $800. You may have, say, a 10% chance it will need the shutter replaced if you used it for 50K shots in five years. The cost of shutter replacement is maybe something like $400. That would be $8 (eight) per year chance ($400 / 10 = $40, and divide by 5 years = $8). You can be sure that a warranty would cost you a lot more than that per year.

Now, if scraping together $400 to fix a shutter would be catastrophic, then insurance can be good. But if you could put the camera on a shelf for four months to save $100 per month to get it fixed, that's not catastrophic.

Further, if you set aside $12 per month for three years, you'd have a repair fund ready and available after three years. That fund would be available to put toward purchasing another camera or would be the base for a repair fund for the next camera.

Don't worry too much. Buy from a reputable seller ( like http://KEH.com ) or with the help of an experienced photographer.

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:05 PM
sushmit
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Care for 5Dc

I love the answers given by all of you and i will go ahead with purchasing a good 5Dc

Oct 07, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Care for 5Dc

We save money by buying used but take on more risk as said gear is normally sold "as is." As other have mentioned, the only way to get a warranty is to pay extra and buy from a dealer with a return option and in-house warranty. Typically these are only 3-month warranties but if it's gonna break it usually happens right away. KEH is one of the best known used gear dealers but all the big houses like B&H and Adorama carry used stock.

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:07 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Care for 5Dc

Weren't there a recall fix on the shutter a while back? I think Canon still honors it.

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Care for 5Dc

M Lucca wrote:
Weren't there a recall fix on the shutter a while back? I think Canon still honors it.

We don't want to start another 5D rumor! The 5D shutter is normally fine and know to last longer than rated. The reflex mirror glue has been problematic and known to detach, especially in high humidity. Canon will fix the reflex mirror for free, gluing it back on and adding reinforcing strips along the edge.

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:35 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Care for 5Dc

sushmit wrote:
Hahah I agree with you El_PIC but was just wondering if by paying a few bucks I could insure my camera then I would feel more comfortable buying it.

Thanks

You can buy insurance for most anything. That is why they have insurance companies.

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:07 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Care for 5Dc

M Lucca wrote:

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Care for 5Dc

Usually they work for very very long time, except mirror problem (not that much problem, if you have both hands right), theres very few issues. If it had water damage before, then its more issue about "from who you buy that".

Any camera can die if its rusty from inside..

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.