Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

http://www.carryspeed.com/products/mogopod-monopod-stabilizer

What do you guys think? I will call up Tim on Monday and see if I can get a sneak peek at the item w/release date and pricing info.

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

i'll see them at the end of the month at Photo+. interesting toy.

Oct 06, 2012 at 07:47 PM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

Lots of new toys to look at, at PDN Expo this year

Oct 07, 2012 at 05:28 PM
1KIND
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

sjms wrote:
i'll see them at the end of the month at Photo+. interesting toy.

Same here. I have to go there for work related stuff. Been reviewing Carry Speed stuff and I've been talking to Tim and his PR people. When its available, I think they going to send me one to review.

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:27 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

Tim called me back and offered me a special preview price on the MoGoPod. I will go there to check it out tomorrow or Wednesday. What do you guys think this is worth?

This will be on sale starting next week or the week after apparently.

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

well since they and you are close to each other have fun.

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:54 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

Anything in particular you/anyone wanted to check/ask?

Oct 15, 2012 at 06:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

i'll see it on the 25th of this month. my time inbetween time will be spent on a mental health holiday in California.

Oct 15, 2012 at 07:04 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

looking for new monopod.. was going to replace my Gitzo with an RRS just because... but I like how quick this one sets up...

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:06 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

I would like to know the unextended length and weight... important stuff like that.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

Yup, planning to ask that.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

Tim says 60" maximum, too short for me!

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:00 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

I suppose you can get another 5-8" (not sure) with the stabilizing foot.

Oct 16, 2012 at 03:01 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

So I went by CarrySpeed HQ today to look/buy the prototype. Unfortunately the prototype is different from the actual retail model in 2 major ways:

1) The length markings are on the lower leg section on the prototype compared to the middle section in the retain model

2) The prototype did not have a mounting plate on the right side up, and meant I could only use the 1/4" adapter on the other side meant for GoPro and P&S cameras

I thus did not buy the prototype and was promised the 1st retail model once they get them from China. Quick thoughts on the MoGoPod:

1) Ridiculously light, maybe 1.5 lb or so at max. I was able to compare it to the Manfrotto 561BHDV-1 side to side and it makes the Manfrotto look huge in comparison

2) The leg sections are decently sized, but smaller than the ones on the Manfrotto.

3) I was able to load a 70-200 IS II on the side with the screw using a small Benro B1 ballhead and it was very stable

4) If enough pressure was put on either end, the monopod would collapse into the folded stage. One drawback of having the quick unfolding step. It took a lot of pressure though, and I think it should be able to handle a 500mm f/4 II lens at least. Again- this is the prototype and the retail model seems to be better looking at their schematic designs.

5) The stabilizing foot accessory was not available to take a look, but I did handle 2 other accessories for the MoGoPod. One is a phone holder than screws in the lower end to take pictures/videos from phones and similar sized devices. The other is a friction arm with 2 ball joint sockets for free motion of devices such as a GoPro and anything else that takes in a 1/4" (or 3/8" with a thread bushing) screw.

6) Retail version will be sold at Photoplus and online from the next day, at $65 each for just the monopod. Accessories extra.

7) First gen is mostly catered to GoPro/P&S shooters although I think it is plenty strong to handle most DSLR kits.

8) I will have my hands on the retail version soon (before Photoplus as per Tim) and will be able to give a good review then.

Overall thoughts: Very impressive, great potential so far. I will see if version 1 is good enough for me. Tim keeps upgrading his products so buying immediately could be a double-edged sword. He is already working on the FS-Pro mark II sling! I am glad to report he is very seriously considering a Manfrotto/Arca Swiss universal release mounting plate design now. Other things he would not tell me

P.S. Tim does not allow pictures inside his HQ (for reasons I totally understand) so I have no pictures for you guys- yet!

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

If any of you want the 1st ever MoGoPod (the prototype), let me know and I will buy it for you next time I go.

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:21 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

think it will handle the 400 2.8L IS and a 1DX... it's my main lens/cam combo I have a monopod for.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

For the prototype I handled? I would be pretty careful. It may be too much.

Not sure how much better the retail model will be. The impression I kept getting is that if you have a supertelephoto, you would be better off waiting for the next generation.

Unextended length is quite big, comparable to a 3 section, series 3 tripod I would say at ~27". I did not have a tape measure but this is something I will be checking with the retail version.

Extended length is about 66-68" comparing it to my height which is pretty decent once you have a ballhead and the camera on top. It is VERY easy to get the desired height, I can't stress this enough. I, for one, am pretty interested in getting one for myself. Note: You need to extend the monopod yourself, it won't extend automatically by unlocking the twist lock just in case that was the impression you got the video/gif.

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

i appreciate the objective stance you are taking. i was sort of looking at it in the video and thinking that since it is 3 sections (needed to do its thing and limited to it) that iit would be a size limited thing. 27" is getting to be quite the nightstick to have to carry around. i knew it was a push pull setup and not pring loaded. i will look at it but i think i will nd up staying on the traditional path

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

I will get proper numbers next time round, but I doubt the retail version is that much different. The only changes I was told was a mounting plate on top, the length markings on the middle section and the legs being a bit stronger. No change in overall design.

Incidentally, the prototype was designed and made in USA by the same company (he would not say which one) that makes prototypes for Bogen. The prototype was only to get funding for the retail versions which are bulk manufactured in China. This is common practice I would guess but was interesting to see

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · CarrySpeed MoGoPod

i saw it at the show. interesting piece but they did soft sell it for HD use. its not a real hard corp piece. its got a few polymer parts in places where i don't want it. pricing is low in the $70 range. its great for Hero camming and such. not quite my interest area

Oct 28, 2012 at 02:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password