Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List
  

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!
  
 
Marcus Watts
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


I'm just stumped as to why that question bothered you. I'm not sure it was worth needing a vent.

There are so many different ways photographers are doing business right now and people are not mind readers so if they assume something wrong so what, set them straight.

I thought Kurtis response was the best so far.



Oct 05, 2012 at 08:57 AM
Eric_M_Klein
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


Let her know that your reputation for quality depends on the quality of the prints. Educate her that you are not willing to sacrifice quality to save a few dollars. If it is important to keep the bride happy, discount your price from your provider to give you 50% of your usual profit.


Oct 05, 2012 at 09:19 AM
sherijohnson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


I would inquire what size canvas she would like to order and give her a price for the canvas, ignore the part about buying the digital image.


Oct 05, 2012 at 10:26 AM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


Conradp04 wrote:
and to your luck she comes in here and reads the thread ....good advices all around though!



I hope she does.



Oct 05, 2012 at 12:42 PM
canerino
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


Look for the best in people until they show you their worst.

A well meaning family member of one of your clients seems confused. Just be nice.



Oct 05, 2012 at 01:11 PM
TheGE
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


paparazzinick wrote:
Like... I just emailed her this.


In lieu of another such "cost based solution" or "deduct this from that" solution, and even though you wrote her back already, here's a thought:

A third alternative. What if you were to offer a more customized solution?

Because when you do that, you can charge more than just for a file. Because it's no longer just a file. It's a file custom made for her situation. It has added value to the one it's customized for.

If you were to say to her something like, "hey cool you wanna make a canvas yourself, ok... I've got a lot of experience creating images on canvas so they come out looking awesome, so how would this be, if I finish the file, you know get the resolution for best printing on canvas, and do it specifically optimized for the size you want, sharpen it for output on canvas, get the composition aligned so it sits just right on the frame and looks good, all that... and it's $150." I'm using $150 purely to illustrate.

Now, maybe the price of your canvas less its cost is the same, also $150. Assume it is. Which way of getting to that $150 do you think a customer might justify spending more on for a file?



Oct 06, 2012 at 01:32 AM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


TheGE wrote:
In lieu of another such "cost based solution" or "deduct this from that" solution, and even though you wrote her back already, here's a thought:

A third alternative. What if you were to offer a more customized solution?

Because when you do that, you can charge more than just for a file. Because it's no longer just a file. It's a file custom made for her situation. It has added value to the one it's customized for.

If you were to say to her something like, "hey cool you wanna make a canvas yourself, ok... I've got a lot of experience creating images
...Show more

That is a good suggestion. I will keep that in mind for the next person tat asks the same.



Oct 06, 2012 at 03:23 AM
Cincy Bruce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


paparazzinick wrote:
I hope she does.


Consider it another photography lesson taught by a nice guy.



Oct 06, 2012 at 01:32 PM
jared_irl
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


this is all it takes to get under your skin?

I don't get it. She's asking to buy something from you, and you're mad about it... I'm not sure i've ever had this reaction to that problem.



Oct 07, 2012 at 05:03 AM
Inku Yo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


Part of the reason I don't even offer canvas wraps anymore. People can get them really cheap elsewhere. Groupon probably has a deal for them every other day.

I offer other custom framed products than don't seem as cheap as wraps.

In your situation, I'd offer to sell her the high res file for $150.



Oct 07, 2012 at 04:29 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



DmitriM
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


...some of you need to stop taking photo workshops and start taking "customer service workshops".


Oct 07, 2012 at 06:30 PM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


So its been a few days. Still haven't heard from her. I know she got the message because someone mentioned to me she was pissed that I wouldn't just give her to file for free. HAHAHA Sure I love working for free and giving things away for free. I also don't like to eat or pay my bills so sure I'll give her the file for free.

Seriously!!! Screw her.



Oct 07, 2012 at 11:19 PM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


DmitriM wrote:
...some of you need to stop taking photo workshops and start taking "customer service workshops".


Or the customers should stop thinking they are shopping at F'n Walmart and give us a little more respect.



Oct 07, 2012 at 11:20 PM
canerino
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


grrrrrrrrrrrr. you're the boss!


Oct 08, 2012 at 01:57 AM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


jared_irl wrote:
this is all it takes to get under your skin?

I don't get it. She's asking to buy something from you, and you're mad about it... I'm not sure i've ever had this reaction to that problem.



There is a whole history behind it. The short version of the story. This person said she bought a camera because she thinks its cute and fun to take pictures and she thinks if its fun then anyone can do it. She wants to start her own business because it is so easy. She also made the comments multiple times about people being over priced and expensive when everyone knows they can get a 4x6 for 10 cents at walmart and places like it. Then I get an email from her wanting one of my photos for cheap because she said hers sucked from the wedding and she wants to get a canvas made for the bride as a gift. Which she will probably try and pull off as her taking the photo and it is all her. She knew from day 1 that I offered canvas prints. It was part of a conversation we had in person.

So yea, this kinda pissed me off a little when I get the question from her. So you never heard of someone getting mad from a client trying to take advantage of them and being cheap? Really? Never? So you're telling me if you were in the same situation you wouldnt get mad and you would just hand over the files and let her have at it? Highly doubt that.



Oct 08, 2012 at 02:22 AM
Scott Mosher
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


paparazzinick wrote:
So its been a few days. Still haven't heard from her. I know she got the message because someone mentioned to me she was pissed that I wouldn't just give her to file for free. HAHAHA Sure I love working for free and giving things away for free. I also don't like to eat or pay my bills so sure I'll give her the file for free.

Seriously!!! Screw her.









Nothin but love for ya



Oct 08, 2012 at 02:48 AM
DmitriM
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


paparazzinick wrote:
Or the customers should stop thinking they are shopping at F'n Walmart and give us a little more respect.

To avoid Walmart clients you need to stop being a walmart photographer...
You aren't getting "respect" because something in the way your business is setup or the way you behave tells them they should respect you...
In this case the issue is YOU and not the client. You got a simple request and you flipped. Do yourself a favor and stop blaming clients and start looking at yourself dude.Wedding Photography is highly customer oriented job and obviously it's not for everyone. Luckily pretty much all of us work 9-5 somewhere else....



Oct 08, 2012 at 04:00 AM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


DmitriM wrote:
To avoid Walmart clients you need to stop being a walmart photographer...
You aren't getting "respect" because something in the way your business is setup or the way you behave tells them they should respect you...
In this case the issue is YOU and not the client. You got a simple request and you flipped. Do yourself a favor and stop blaming clients and start looking at yourself dude.Wedding Photography is highly customer oriented job and obviously it's not for everyone. Luckily pretty much all of us work 9-5 somewhere else....



Last time I checked $6500 wasn't a walmart client based wedding. Im pretty sure 10 years and booking solid, this is for me



Oct 08, 2012 at 07:12 PM
BKphotography
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


If your pulling in that sort of scratch for taking photographs for a living... WHY you bitching?




Oct 08, 2012 at 08:15 PM
paparazzinick
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!


BKphotography wrote:
If your pulling in that sort of scratch for taking photographs for a living... WHY you bitching?




Because it pisses me off



Oct 08, 2012 at 08:44 PM
1      
2
       3       end




FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password