Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

So I shot this rockin wedding in Vegas a few months ago. Bride loved it, parents loved it and guests loved it. So I met this one girl at the wedding and she was asking me all kinds of stuff. Basically she wants to be a photographer one day, so naturally she asked me all the questions. Being the nice guy I am at weddings, yes I am nice believe it or not I answered her questions and told her were to go to find answers and get help. I even told her to come on here and look around.

So today I get this facebook message from her asking if she can purchase a thumbnail from me because she wants to buy the bride and groom a canvas from somewhere. This is after she said how awesome my work was and she loved all of the photos. OK great she saw the photos so that means she was on the link I gave the bride and groom which is my store where you make purchases.

I am half tempted to just tell her to go fly a kite, but it is the grooms sister so I guess I will be nice. I am thinking of totally ignoring her entire message about buying a file and just send her a link to where she can get her canvas done through me.

Basically her message reads to me like this.... Dear photographer. My photos are so shitty that I can not get a good photo from the wedding to make the bride and groom a canvas. Yours are awesome and I would love to give them a canvas with your image on it. But I do not want to pay you for the canvas so I am going to be cheap and go somewhere else and get it done, even though it might suck and I know you can do it. Regards

OK done bitching...

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:09 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

Quote her the price minus your cost (for the canvas) for the file.

Edited on Oct 04, 2012 at 04:13 PM · View previous versions

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:12 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

Or maybe she doesn't realise you can organise a canvas for her. Why not send her a price for that instead.

Gordon

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:13 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

I would think giving her the option to either 1) Buy use of the image to have the canvas print done herself, or 2) buy the printed canvas image through you directly would be better than just ignoring her entirely. Still gives you the chance to make some cash off the deal anyway.

I didn't know how this stuff works until I got into this site, so she's probably in the same boat I used to be... Not in the know.

And you're probably right, your images are most likely far better than hers. All the more reason she should be buying them from you.

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:16 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

ckhagen wrote:

I would be afraid to quote that low. She is going to go to the lowest cost canvas place and give the bride and groom an inferior product.

I would think it would be in your interest to price it so that it was ~the same cost or cheaper for her to go through you..... if you offer it at all.

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:21 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

Send her a price for the Canvas... or send her a price for the file.... charge $100 for the file.

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

unless you still do traditional pricing where people must buy prints (including b&g), I dont see what the problem is.

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:24 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

SloPhoto wrote:
I would be afraid to quote that low. She is going to go to the lowest cost canvas place and give the bride and groom an inferior product.

I would think it would be in your interest to price it so that it was ~the same cost or cheaper for her to go through you..... if you offer it at all.

How is that low? It's going I cost her $50 to get a cheap canvas someplace. He still deserves to make the profit off his art. She could get 10 of them printed somewhere else. Should the local steakhouse lower its price to that of a Big Mac for fear that people might go to McDonalds instead?

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:28 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

do the B&G have the files?

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:37 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

ckhagen wrote:
How is that low? It's going I cost her $50 to get a cheap canvas someplace. He still deserves to make the profit off his art. She could get 10 of them printed somewhere else. Should the local steakhouse lower its price to that of a Big Mac for fear that people might go to McDonalds instead?

I was saying to price the file only option HIGHER. (his online store cost - el cheapo print shop cost) instead of subtracting his nice print shop costs.

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:37 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

I have had this before and in my case they didn't realize I offered canvas and so I told them actually I can do it for you it will be this much. They bought it.

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:41 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

you answered your own question if it was one

"one day I want to be a photographer just like you big smiley"

Here's the first lesson that I didn't teach you earlier, photographers EAT so the file costs $ whatever that may be

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:42 PM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

Robin Usagani wrote:
do the B&G have the files?

x2

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:17 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

paparazzinick wrote:
So I shot this rockin wedding in Vegas a few months ago. Bride loved it, parents loved it and guests loved it.

End of story.

Move on...

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

I haven't seen anyone mention it but it seems to me that there is a high probability that she isn't just going to make a canvas of your shot - she is going to apply her mad Photoshop skillz first. I am envisioning a soft-focus HDR with selective color and a nice, white vignette.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:20 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

ckhagen wrote:

Like... I just emailed her this.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:26 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will let you know what she decides. I doubt I will hear back from her.... To answer the other guy. Yes the bride has the files. This girl wants to give the canvas as a gift so i doubt she would ever ask for the file from the bride.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:28 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

paparazzinick wrote:
Like... I just emailed her this.

this seems fair.

understand that she might "want to be a photographer", but likely hasn't put a lot of thought into the nuances of pricing, etc. she may very well not have the cash for a canvas, and thinks she can both satisfy you by offering to pay for the file and satisfy herself by saving money on the final product.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:48 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

goosemang wrote:
this seems fair.

understand that she might "want to be a photographer", but likely hasn't put a lot of thought into the nuances of pricing, etc. she may very well not have the cash for a canvas, and thinks she can both satisfy you by offering to pay for the file and satisfy herself by saving money on the final product.

Thats a good point. Something I didnt think of. She might think she is doing me good to pay for the file.

Sometimes we need to think like a customer.

Oct 04, 2012 at 08:58 PM
Conradp04
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Just need to vent... Damn customers!!!

and to your luck she comes in here and reads the thread ....good advices all around though!

Oct 04, 2012 at 10:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.