Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

Anyone else have this problem? Wondering it could be heat related? Need to check today to see if the fan is coming on like it's supposed to...

Oct 04, 2012 at 01:29 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

sent this in to CRIS, the USA repair center for elinchrom/manfrotto and was told that it is on parts hold awaiting parts from europe which will be an approximate 4 week wait time. With shipping, total time without my 3 month old flash unit is 1.5 months!

Sigh...

Oct 24, 2012 at 09:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

Ouch ... are they providing you with a "loaner" while you wait?

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:43 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

no but I think I'm going to sell the whole kit when I get the repaired unit back.

Oct 25, 2012 at 01:23 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

Now I'm being told that it could be 7-8 weeks before I get it back. I have emailed the customer service manager to see if there is some alternative to such a long turnaround time which seems to be excessive, particularly on such a "young" piece of gear of this caliber.

Oct 25, 2012 at 05:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

That's a kinda scary thought. I realize that some will argue against certain mfr's stuff being made better or worse than others. Meanwhile some will cite great customer service.

I had one unit quit working on me earlier this year. The unit was nearly two years old, so it was still under warranty. Of course, it could have just as easily been out of warranty had it developed a problem a few months later.

But, despite the problem ... the customer service department "cross-shipped" a loaner to me. I could have had it overnighted, but I wasn't pressed for it, so it was two days to get me a loaner from the time I called. The repair took about two weeks turnaround ... but with a loaner, no biggie.

That being said, my preference of course would be that the unit didn't have a problem, but 7-8 weeks turnaround makes me take notice of the value @ "cross-ship" loaner. I guess it pretty much falls into the category of you get what you pay for, i.e. entry level price = entry level components ... regardless of which continent it is made on.

Oct 25, 2012 at 07:37 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

yeah, but at $565 for this unit, it hardly qualifies as entry level. I have heard that buff has a 48 hour turnaround on repairs so that's something to take into consideration.

Oct 25, 2012 at 07:40 PM
Dave Jr
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

Didn't you used to have Einsteins?

Oct 26, 2012 at 03:37 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

Dave Jr wrote:
Didn't you used to have Einsteins?

He did. Next (and final) stop in this tour is Profoto.

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:27 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

i had einsteins for 2 days. I got 2 of them in along with a cyber commander, 2 CSXCV and several CSR+ units (the latter of which to use with my AB lights)

I found the cybersync useless outdoors in the sun and the CSR+ wouldn't work with one of my AB lights so I returned the 2 einsteins and the accessories.

If I bought them again, I'd seriously consider using pocketwizard. Still not sure it's worth selling the elinchroms and switching to AB but 6-8 weeks for a repair is pretty bad and is making me give it some thought.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

cordellwillis wrote:
Whaaaa Regardless of the price of a product, if a part is not currently available AND it's in a different part of the world there is a wait. I don't see the difficulty in understanding that.

Instant gratification is a funny and sad thing. A 7-8 week wait is what it is. I'm sure Elinchrom or whomever would have things done faster if they could. I'm sure no one is sitting at their desk playing with themselves just to put people on hold.

Nobody said otherwise. The point is just that. A DATA POINT. Whether 7-8 weeks inhibits your particular workflow is subjective. Fortunately, I have backup lights. However, from a pragmatic standpoint the data point that stands out is:

Buff: 1 week turnaround time
Elinchrom: 6-8 week turnaround time

Whether that's something important to you is another point.

There are good and bad things about buff and there are good and bad things about elinchrom. I'm not willing to spend $1k / light to go profoto so at this point I'm glad I have backups but I don't see anything wrong with discussing pros and cons of the gear. That *IS* the purpose of this forum, eh?!?

Oct 26, 2012 at 01:24 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #12 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

jzucker wrote:
Now I'm being told that it could be 7-8 weeks before I get it back

Now you know why there are stories about Manfrotto's crappy service
There are some good ones too, but in general, it's not great. I've had emails ignored from them as well (griping about their crap tripod fliplocks that gouged off a piece of flesh)-:

FYI, Hensel has slow service as well...really nice gear (like their Porty Lithium and light beauty/ring light combo modifier) though...

Oct 26, 2012 at 02:31 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

kenyee wrote:
Now you know why there are stories about Manfrotto's crappy service
There are some good ones too, but in general, it's not great. I've had emails ignored from them as well (griping about their crap tripod fliplocks that gouged off a piece of flesh)-:

FYI, Hensel has slow service as well...really nice gear (like their Porty Lithium and light beauty/ring light combo modifier) though...

yeah, I had some bad experiences with manfrotto customer service when I had a gitzo tripod that kept falling apart. Unfortunately, parts for that were prohibitively expensive and several times, calls and emails went unanswered. However, they seem to have farmed out their repair to CRIS Photo in AZ. This may be part of the reason the service is now so slow...

Oct 26, 2012 at 02:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

+1 @ data point ... adding that it is only ONE data point, but I was caught off guard by the magnitude of the deviation, and wondering if your experience is an outlier or the norm for them.

+1 @ backup lights

Oct 26, 2012 at 03:11 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ data point ... adding that it is only ONE data point, but I was caught off guard by the magnitude of the deviation, and wondering if your experience is an outlier or the norm for them.

+1 @ backup lights

What CRIS told me is that if the parts are in stock the item can usually be repaired in 2 weeks but in my case, parts were needed from europe.

I agree that it's just *ONE* data point but it's an important one. I had posted in an earlier thread what I thought the pros and cons of elinchrom and einstein were. If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably buy einstein but there's not a clear winner because I like certain features of both. The biggest disadvantage of the buff line IMO is that the cybercommander is so horribly designed from an ergonomic point of view. Very hard to see the screen outside and it's just a UI disaster. I've said many times that buff should make a cheaper "lite" version of the commander that just supports 4 groups and utilizes push buttons and slider switches like elinchrom does. Something like that could sway me to buff.

I like the pocketwizard transmitter for buff but it's pretty expensive.

Oct 26, 2012 at 03:33 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #16 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

If I had trouble reading the CC's screen in a bright surrounding I'd try with a hood.
www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-200

Oct 26, 2012 at 04:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

jzucker wrote:
What CRIS told me is that if the parts are in stock the item can usually be repaired in 2 weeks.

Reasonable, compared with a month or 7-8 weeks ... still, I gather there's no "loaner policy" in play.

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:01 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

I emailed the head of their service department jhon salazar 5 days ago and never heard back from him.

Oct 30, 2012 at 01:36 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #19 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

jzucker wrote:
I emailed the head of their service department jhon salazar 5 days ago and never heard back from him.

Maybe he transferred to their tripod support group

Oct 30, 2012 at 03:59 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Elinchrom BXRI-500 modeling light cutting out

pretty sad that despite 2 calls and emails to the head of their service department, I can't get a reply. Pretty horrible customer service.

Nov 01, 2012 at 11:13 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password