Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

SamHenry
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

I found the Ee-D screen, but it says it's for lenses slower than 5.6. I shoot lower than that often, so is there one that can be used for faster lenses? Is there a way to get one made? I have a real bad problem lining up my shots

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/402202-REG/Canon_0829B001_Ee_D_Grid_type_Focusing_Screen.html

Oct 03, 2012 at 05:30 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

Not sure about the odd description from B&H, but I used that same screen for a few years in my 5Dc and it worked great with all my glass (all f/4 or faster). I also use the equivalent screen in my 1Ds2 and 1D2n, so I'm sure you'll have no issues.

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:31 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

SamHenry wrote:
I found the Ee-D screen, but it says it's for lenses slower than 5.6. I shoot lower than that often, so is there one that can be used for faster lenses? Is there a way to get one made? I have a real bad problem lining up my shots

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/402202-REG/Canon_0829B001_Ee_D_Grid_type_Focusing_Screen.html

That description is utter nonsense... there are no Canon lenses slower than f5.6.

The Ee-D screen is the correct one for your camera, and will work just fine with any Canon lens.

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:42 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

"...maximizes viewfinder brightness and is optimized for use with f/5.6 EF lenses and slower."

Had one in mine also, and used it with every lens I had from F/1.2 to f/5.6. Oh...BTW, re-read the bolded words, and make the correct deduction. If it's optimized and works well @ f/5.6, it'll work just as good or better at faster and brighter apertures...Worked Great!!!

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:50 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

reno.peterson wrote:
If it's optimized and works well @ f/5.6, it'll work just as good or better at faster and brighter apertures

Yes, but it may not work as well as the stock Ee-A, or the Ee-S, which was designed for fast lenses. Specifically, it may not show shallow depth of field or permit accurate manual focussing other than relying on the AF assist. For sure, each has its own setting in the 5D's custom function, which is consistent with the f/5.6.

So you might prefer to modify an Ee-A or Ee-S.

Several people on the OM mailing list successfully scribed guidelines in their stock screen using a Stanley knife and straight edge. I wasn't one of them, but I have handled screens from both OM and EOS, and they appear to be very similar plastic.

Be very careful. The plastic is very easy to marr. You will need something like satin fabric under your straightedge (steel ruler) and under the screen to prevent damage. Don't touch the surface either. I can tell you the plastic on the Ec-S is soft, because mine has a blemish from a piece of grit.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:16 AM
SamHenry
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

I'll give that screen a whirl, if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out. Thanks guys!!

Oct 04, 2012 at 06:46 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

It's perfect for fast lenses, I have them on both my 5Dc's. It means that it isn't as optimised for manual focus as the EE-S screen that they want you to buy as well but as a grid screen for use with AF the lens brightness has nothing to do with it.

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:27 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gridlined focusing screen for 5Dc?

melcat wrote:
Yes, but it may not work as well as the stock Ee-A, or the Ee-S, which was designed for fast lenses. Specifically, it may not show shallow depth of field or permit accurate manual focussing other than relying on the AF assist. For sure, each has its own setting in the 5D's custom function, which is consistent with the f/5.6.

So you might prefer to modify an Ee-A or Ee-S.

Several people on the OM mailing list successfully scribed guidelines in their stock screen using a Stanley knife and straight edge. I wasn't one of them, but I have handled screens
...Show more

Why bother trying to modify an Ee-A screen? The Ee-D is the same screen, except with grid lines already etched on it...

Oct 04, 2012 at 07:32 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.