Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

This weekend I went to Mount Assiniboine with my oldest son and we hiked to Nub Peak and Windy Ridge. This time I went soft and stayed at the lodge so I would not have to carry my tent or sleep with the mice in the cabins.

Here are my best shots from in front of the lodge. These are looking up to where Vern Dewit took his pictures, last week.

Incidently - Mt Assiniboine is apparently named after the Assiniboine (another name for Stoney) indians. When it was first spotted it had a cloud that looked like a teepee with smoke coming from the top, so it was named after a similar sight.

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 4

1 of 4 - After dark lit by the Moon - with Zeiss 25 f2

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    25mm lens    25mm    f/2.0    4s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 of 4 - After dark lit by the Moon - with Canon 85 f1.2

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF85mm f/1.2L II USM lens    85mm    f/1.8    4s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 of 4 - Early Morning Light to the East above the Naisett Huts

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF85mm f/1.2L II USM lens    85mm    f/8.0    1/3s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

4 of 4 - Early morning from Down by the Lake

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    24mm    f/16.0    1/5s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 03, 2012 at 12:56 PM
nwadventurer7
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

awesome fotos scott...sorry we didnt get together on tonquin valley. i did the 22 kilometers in with my 20 year old son and his buddy..about killed me..we hiked in partly at night after a 10 hour drive from seattle Sept 20 and came out sept 24. incredible weather. i miss assiniboine this year ...maybe next. bill

Oct 03, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Super photos Scott, I particularly like #2 and #4.

Rob

Oct 03, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #4 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Great light and composition. Like 1 and 2 the best. Like those tight mountain shots like we see in 2.

Oct 04, 2012 at 12:03 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

#1 for me Scott - really like the composition and stars in the shot.

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:13 AM
briangg
• • •
p.1 #6 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Always enjoy your posts Scott. You have a very attractive style and way of doing things.

Brian

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:37 AM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #7 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Great stuff Scott ... brings back memories of last year! The clouds coming off of Assiniboine are really cool.

Did you get up to Niblett or higher?

How was the new lodge?

Don

Oct 04, 2012 at 02:54 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

nwadventurer7: Hey Bill - I look forward to seeing your caribou. Hiking with 22 year sons is tough for me too. Next time you and I can go slowly. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Rob Tillyer: Glad you like them. I was too tired on the two evenings after many much elevation to go far from the lodge. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Rob: Amazingly, this was taken a couple of hours after sunset in the dark with only moonlight. I was hoping for no moonlight but sometimes you have to work with what you get. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Vern Dewit: Glad you like it. I can only dream of hiking up to the stars - unlike you. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

briangg: Thanks for the high complements - after living with 4 teenage children - its been a long time since anyone said that they like my style. Much appreciated. Scott

dwa652: Glad the pictures brought back memories. I chickened out from hiking the nibblet in the dark for sunrise because my two potential hiking mates backed out (son and another photographer). But I will be posting from the top of Nub shortly. The new lodge was great - food was good and the service was even better. You need to come visit next year and stand in the dark with the bears with me. Much appreciated. Scott

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:24 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Hey Scott,

#4 is my favorite here, it looks the most natural. #1 and 2 are interesting, I prefer #2 the most, but in both of them they seem too bright to me for being night shots. Just because we can make a night shot look like a daytime shot doesn't mean we should... I would suggest darkening them up, so it actually feels like you were there at night shooting and not just a daytime shot with stars pasted in.

Jim

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:48 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #10 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

I've got to get up to this lodge. Love the pictures from this area. Thanks for posting.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark Cronin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

These are a real treat Scott,

Mark

Oct 04, 2012 at 04:16 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Wonderfully done. I can even see the footbridge in #1, which is my favorite.

Oct 04, 2012 at 05:20 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

JimFox wrote:
Hey Scott,

#4 is my favorite here, it looks the most natural. #1 and 2 are interesting, I prefer #2 the most, but in both of them they seem too bright to me for being night shots. Just because we can make a night shot look like a daytime shot doesn't mean we should... I would suggest darkening them up, so it actually feels like you were there at night shooting and not just a daytime shot with stars pasted in.

Jim

Thanks Jim for the specific suggestions. I was debating the same question - darken or not. Here is a darkened one. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF85mm f/1.2L II USM lens    85mm    f/1.8    4s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:20 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

NCAndy: Glad you like the pictures. It is a fantastic place with very few people owing to the 26km hike to get to this spot. And the last weekend in September is even better. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Mark Cronin: Glad you like them. It is my favorite spot in the southern (canadian) rockies. I am planning to go back in the winter and shoot with some snow. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

treebeard: The moon was full and it was amazing how much light it put out. It even caused shadows. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:24 AM
Mfevans
• •
p.1 #15 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

One of my favorite spots to hike. Great shots

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:37 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Mfevans: It is one of my favorite spots as well. Glad you like the pictures. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.Scott

Oct 05, 2012 at 03:41 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

More beautiful work Scott. You really have been producing some stunning work

Tim

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Dan Heitman
• •
p.1 #18 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Fantastic pictures Scott, 1,2 and 4 for me. I'll bet staying in the lodge best last years experience by a mile.

Oct 06, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Mount Assiniboine - From in front of the Lodge

Tim Kuhn: Glad you like the pictures. Thank you very much for the encouragement. I am getting pickier and pickier over time and not posting sometimes because I think they are falling short. So its nice to hear you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Dan Heitman: Dan I missed your company on this hike for the 2nd year in a row. That job of yours is getting in the way. The lodge was great and the service was greater. After last years snow with Harland (and my snowy July visit) it was great to have a roof over my head. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Oct 06, 2012 at 06:16 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password