Upload & Sell: Off
| p.2 #10 · D800 left focusing problem - is it going away? |
I've got one on its way with same - 6006 start - so that may make mine older than yours though they only just got it in so who knows - but seems UK numbering is different. Hoping mine will have no problems though the majority of my work is tripod mounted and focussing manually....
Will be interesting to see how you get on with yours then.
The test I used was as follows:
- 3 Simens star focus charts stuck to my living room wall to ensure they are all on the same focal plane.
- D800 with 24mm f1.4 and 14-24mm f2.8 tripod mounted 5 - 6ft from the wall.
- Starting with the centre AF point, rack the lens completely OOF, used Live view (contrast detect) focus on the chart and take shot. This acts as reference shot.
- Disable live view. With camera set to 3 second exposure delay, rack the lens completely OOF, focus and take shot.
- Repeat this 3 times to ensure results are consistent each time.
Then follow this for the left and right AF points. Camera was set to ISO 100, 1/500 second, f1.4 (or f2.8 when using the 14-24mm) using manual exposure mode.
Because the focus charts are all on the same focal plane, each time you do this test you should see all 3 focus charts in focus.
However, when I use the left AF point, with Live view disabled the focus charts are hurrendously out of focus. With Live view enabled all 3 focus charts are perfectly focused when using the left AF point.
This has been the same result with 3 D800 bodies so far. I am very interested to know how you get on with you tests so please report back when you can.