Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

I typically shoot about ~2000 RAW images during a 12-hr wedding day.. A couple has requested the option to buy all unedited full-res images from the day.

I have my own pretty strong opinions about whether or not to even offer this option, but to not cloud the discussion, I'll disclose my own thoughts a bit later this thread instead - for now, what are your thoughts about something like this?

This is the 2nd time I've been asked about this in the past year - which is to say it doesn't happen THAT frequently to be honest, but does happen enough for me to think about my approach on the matter..

Thanks in advance!

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:35 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

My general answer is no. However if they are willing to pay for it I suppose I'd offer the raw culled files for a large fee. I would under no circumstances deliver every single image I shoot.

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:38 PM
camerausername
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Do they want the RAWs? They don't get those because there is no guarantee they will even be able to open them. Full-size jpgs will meet any of their needs.

Do they want ALL images, even the bad ones? They don't get those because the bad ones don't even exist. The images you deliver to the client are the only images.

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:39 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Sounds like a good way to end up as a topic on Good Morning America with the couple sitting there showing the horrible photos their wedding photographer gave them.

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:41 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

They want all the high-res jpgs from the wedding day, not the RAWs

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:49 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

No
Never

Oct 02, 2012 at 08:49 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

kaycephoto wrote:
They want all the high-res jpgs from the wedding day, not the RAWs

That's just a simple no.

When you buy a computer, do you ask them to also give you all the components that weren't up to spec that they came across when building your computer?

If you commission a painting, do you ask the artist for a video of the entire process and every sketch they may have done leading up to the painting?

There are some things that the answer is just plain no for.

They are asking because there is a trust issue here. One which should be easily settled by saying 'You need to trust that I will show you everything worth showing. I didn't get a good reputation by not delivering photos that my clients care about.'

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Not a chance in Hell.

The closest I'd get to their request would be to deliver the images after I'm done running my LR4 import preset and culling out all the trashers. And they'd pay an exorbitantly high fee for that. The kind of fee that would strongly encourage them to reconsider their request.

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:01 PM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Simple . No. Deliver your best stuff nothing less.

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:31 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Hell.
No.

Oct 02, 2012 at 09:57 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Thanks for the various considerations FM!

Glad everyone's on the same side of the fence - when it was discussed, I kinda felt like a dick but basically I was of the opinion that it didn't really make sense for anyone involved. Couples should definitely be hiring me for my vision & trusting in my abilities to present only the best images.. Considering that I already present a relatively large # of images for couples to select from, I didn't really understand why the bride was so interested in having the outtakes that my assistant or I might normally delete right off the bat in-camera. I'm also definitely not in a position where I feel I need to "work" for additional bookings by sacrificing my principles..

At this point, the only compromise I'd be willing to make would be to try & shoot more photos on the day of, present a slightly larger # of proofs (not full-res) than I typically guarantee (I already over-deliver on each wedding commission as is) for a higher price.. Or, present all of these proofs as full-res images for a much higher price. To me, there's just absolutely no reason why anyone needs more than 1000-1200 photos from a standard length wedding day..

Now, on to writing them an email where I hopefully put that sentiment politely enough that I don't offend anyone haha.. at times I hate how opinionated I am, but I also definitely wouldn't be where I am today without that fire/passion.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:09 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

Shoot less, not more. Go for quality vs quantity. And never tell the client how many shots you typically take or delete -- only the results. Focus on what they are getting.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:17 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

lindabrowne wrote:
Shoot less, not more. Go for quality vs quantity. And never tell the client how many shots you typically take or delete -- only the results. Focus on what they are getting.

Thanks for that advice.. I think I've been making that mistake in my consultations. I love providing full disclosure, but in this case I think it is hurting my presentation in that it is distracting some couples from what is actually important - the quality of the finished work they are getting.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:22 PM
spink
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

hardlyboring wrote:
No
Never

+1

best analogy I've heard is "a baker wouldn't hand over raw ingredients without baking them first". Not sure who said that, but I identify with this, 100%. I don't shoot and burn, ever.

Spencer

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:29 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

I would...for the right price. Hell, i would sell almost anything at the right price. I have my artistic integrity, but I also have bills. If I could double or triple my wedding income by unedited jpgs, I would do it. My exposures are not perfect, but I keep them pretty close. I would, however, have an additional contract for them to sign which clearly states that they acknowledge these are unedited...just for protection.

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:54 PM
asparkes
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

I've turned this kind of request down outright twice now. Just seems odd to me.

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:06 PM
samwise
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

My first year of shooting I was asked 3 times for this because they wanted to make sure they didn't miss anything... so I took the low res ones that didn't make the cut in photomechanic, burned it as a DVD and told them to let me know if there are any shots they want edited and I will add them to the gallery for them to keep. Never heard back from either of them.

SInce I have put it in my contract that the selected photos are final, and explain the scenario above when I am at my meetings, it's all about trust.

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Jwock

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

You don't want to end up being Gary Fongs next cause

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:09 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

asparkes wrote:
I've turned this kind of request down outright twice now. Just seems odd to me.

i think i struggled to verbalize why i felt it was such a weird/unnecessary request until i solicited some additional perspective on FM.. but yes - it just felt altogether weird, both times I've been asked for this option.. first time, i bluntly blurted out "no - that's not something i do" without really realizing why i didn't agree with it - couple still hired me, ended up loving their photos. at tonight's consultation, I tried harder to explain why I felt how I felt, but don't think I put it into words well..

hopefully i've now addressed my considerations both fairly & clearly to the couple in the email i'm about to send.

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:22 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Couple wants ALL unedited full-res images, thoughts?

$5k

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.