Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Quadra Ranger ?

Jay Connor
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quadra Ranger ?

Hi

I had a ? re power levels from this flash

From the manual
"Flash power range outlet A J (Ws) 25 - 400
Flash power range outlet B J (Ws) 8.2 - 132"

So if I am using both A and B together I get a fixed power ratio of A/B of 3/1

My ? is using both A and B on maximum output how many Ws do I get from A and B individually ?

Thanks in advance

Jay

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Jay Connor
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quadra Ranger ?

Taking a guess and answering my own question

I would say for A 2/3 x 400 = 266 Ws

and for B 1/3 x 400 = 133 Ws

Oct 02, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quadra Ranger ?

Using the A channel alone you get 400 WS or 100% of the power. Using B only you get 33% of the total power.

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:23 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quadra Ranger ?

Jay Connor wrote:
Taking a guess and answering my own question

I would say for A 2/3 x 400 = 266 Ws

and for B 1/3 x 400 = 133 Ws

Yes, the ratio is 2:1 not 3:1. 400 Ws with A alone, 267:133 with A and B. Slightly more power and slightly longer duration with the standard S heads compared to the action A heads.

Brian A

Oct 02, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Jay Connor
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quadra Ranger ?

Thanks Brian

Ah yes -- 2:1 not 3:1

Since these are for portraits not concerned with flash duration but thanks for pointing that out

The reason I posed the question is b/c I was setting up some clamshell lighting in which I would normally have a 3:1 top:bottom ratio

I tried a couple of test shots at 2:1 and they looked ok

But if I wanted a 3:1 ratio, and I wanted to knock down the brightness of the bottom light (and maintain its distance from the subject) does anyone have any suggestions other than using a neutral density gel on the bottom light

Thanks again
Jay

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:05 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Quadra Ranger ?

Jay Connor wrote:
The reason I posed the question is b/c I was setting up some clamshell lighting in which I would normally have a 3:1 top:bottom ratio

I tried a couple of test shots at 2:1 and they looked ok

But if I wanted a 3:1 ratio, and I wanted to knock down the brightness of the bottom light (and maintain its distance from the subject) does anyone have any suggestions other than using a neutral density gel on the bottom light

It depends on how are you define a 3:1 ratio. Using the old portrait lighting ratios system, fill at half the power of key would have been classed as 3:1 logically and mathematically incorrect though it may have been.

If you are trying to replicate something that claims to be 3:1, and it is working out, then this may be why.

Brian A

Oct 02, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Quadra Ranger ?

It wouldn't be that simple anyway to get the ratio you want. Especially if you are not using the same light modifiers top and bottom and the exact same distances. You really need a light meter if it's that important to you.

Oct 03, 2012 at 01:42 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Quadra Ranger ?

Jay Connor wrote:

I can't think of any scenario where I would want to have my lighting ratios fixed in this way with any pack system. Each channel should be capable of being set to whatever was needed and not fixed in any specific ratio.

One solution would be to buy another pack.. which sort of defeats the idea of having a two head kit. Having to use ND filters is perhaps the only solution immediately available.

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:06 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Quadra Ranger ?

Jay Connor wrote:
...if I wanted a 3:1 ratio, and I wanted to knock down the brightness of the bottom light (and maintain its distance from the subject) does anyone have any suggestions other than using a neutral density gel on the bottom light...

The Jule rating indicates the amount of power going into the flash tube (more-or-less), but it doesn't indicate the amount of light falling on your subject.

As others have said, it depends on what modifiers, reflectors, etc. are mounted. If your top light is in a high-output beauty dish and your bottom light is in a double-diffused soft box the ratio on the subject will be very different than if both lights were in standard reflectors.

You can eyeball test shots to get the look you want, but as was also said, if you want precise ratios a flash meter will be essential.

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:32 AM
Jay Connor
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Quadra Ranger ?

Thanks Brian

Jay

Oct 05, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Quadra Ranger ?

I did the same thing with a Profoto Acute pack and two lights. Beauty dish up top and small soft box below. I do not remember the ratio now but I remember needing the light a stop less on the bottom than I could get. I just clamped a collapsible one stop diffuser on the soft box with two 99 cent A clamps.

Oct 10, 2012 at 09:25 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password