Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A.S. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back edition

SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · A.S. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back edition

A.S. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back edition - ( A.S. = aspiring san jose/bay area second shooter)

Got a chance to shoot with DavidCz again this weekend and it marked my second wedding as a second shooter. He has been awesome about giving me a shot in low pressure environments, he is also letting me post this way early so that I can get some quick feedback before my next wedding!

For various reasons, I cannot post the first wedding, but I feel like this was a bit of a step back. Consistency was a struggle, and I had some issues with the pixel king triggers I was trying to use for the reception (ettl on one stand, manual on the other).

I am trying to get better, so please please please rip me to shreds. The stronger the C&C the better!

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

18)

19)

20)

21)

22)

23)

24)

25)

26)

27)

28)

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:45 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · A.S. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back edition

fantastic coverage throughout
nice processing... strong ... but not overdone

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:02 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #3 · A.S. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back edition

hardlyboring wrote:
fantastic coverage throughout
nice processing... strong ... but not overdone

Thanks... got any critiques/criticisms for me?

Oct 02, 2012 at 10:29 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · A.S. One Step Forward, Two Steps Back edition

Alrighty. You asked for it. Here we go!

Love the colors and perspective on 1, but needs some work compositionally. Not bad at all, but I'm sure there's a stronger composition to be made here.

2. Why? There's nothing special/eye-grabbing here. If you have a killer detail shot, post it alone, otherwise I think these kind of shots work better in a story-telling series/compilation. Good detail shot though.

Good shots for 3, although skin tones see just a bit iffy to me. Normally I wouldn't comment on that (they're good, not great), but I know how big you are on this. Except for 5, they look a little off all the way through 9.

You shouldn't be showing images like 4. Good lighting, but they're clearly looking at your primary. You have faces blocked, feet chopped, etc... If your primary wants you to be shooting off to the side during portraits that's fine, but you shouldn't be showing these images for your own work - they just demonstrate compromise and the fact that you're not taking on your own weddings.

5a is ok. Somewhat boring. b/c are excellent.

Great composition on 6. Crop out the red in the bottom corner. This moment does nothing though as we can't see what's going on. I would've asked her to look at the camera after the moment passed.

Get him out of the middle of the frame on 7. Excellent otherwise. 8-11 are all great story-telling images.

12 goes in your portfolio. Excellent combination of lighting/moment/composition.

13-18. Nothing stands out here. Solid images, nothing special. Processing seems a bit sloppy - again surprising coming from you.

19. Good detail shots. These are the kind of things I like to see from a second shooter.

20-22 are all great. No complaints here.

23 and 24 are excellent. Such great captures. You only need one though, having both lessens the impact. Pick your favorite. I prefer 24 as it's a more layered composition that tells more of the story.

25-27 are great, although the smaller images in 26 are really too small to be useful.

28 is a great moment, but the photo is very meh - sloppy cropping, perspective, etc... I'm assuming it caught you by surprise and you just shot as soon as you could. Even so, I probably wouldn't show it (although the client will love it).

Hope that helps!

Oct 03, 2012 at 08:39 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password