FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Colorado CJ
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Howdy all, first post here a the Fred Miranda Forums.

I spent the last four days visiting Yellowstone National Park. I passed through the Grand Teton National Park on my way there (stayed in Jackson over night). Here are a few photos taken with my new D600 and 50mm F1.8 G lens. It was very smoky most of the day, but I got a decent shot earlier in the morning.

These were converted using the Nikon software. I'm not familiar with it and it is very limiting compared to Adobe's Camera Raw, so I didn't do hardly any post processing as I usually would. I can't wait for ACR to update for the D600, these images would be much better.

28-Sept-2012-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

28-Sept-2012-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

28-Sept-2012-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

As a side note, I LOVE this D600! Images at 100% are outstanding in detail and sharpness, even at 200% there is really no noise and very little loss of detail.

I'm really going to like using this camera.

Oct 01, 2012 at 02:41 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Welcome to FM Andrew. I like these shots, particularly the first one. When I was there a few years ago the forest fires in Idaho threw smoke all over the Tetons - most frustrating. Enjoy the D600
David

Oct 01, 2012 at 03:09 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Hey Andrew,

Welcome to FM Landscape!

It's nice to see these shots from the D600. I love my D800, but I am thinking on getting the D600 as a backup to it. I like #1 the most, I would clone out that bit of dead brush in the lower left though.

Jim

Oct 01, 2012 at 05:27 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Welcome. Great shots. I was there two weeks ago for three mornings. The range was only visible on two days due to smoke.
Harsha

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Very nice images. The smoke adds a bit of depth and mood which is nice!

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:33 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Very nice, welcome aboard. The first is my favourite.

Rob

Oct 04, 2012 at 03:48 PM
fcomisar
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

I really like number 1.

Oct 04, 2012 at 09:18 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Welcome. I like the subtleness that the smoke brings to the landscape - but it sure can make it challenging too. I prefer #2.

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:13 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

All are very nice!

Little things might be the little bit of brush in number 1 that Jim mentioned. But the one that bothers me is the stalk sticking up dead center in number 2. You might try your hand in removing that. Content aware fill works well sometimes...

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:28 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Nikon software certainly makes a LOT of their own code so there's nothing to apologize for, they look GREAT! Very "photorealistic" if I do say so, not the typically overcooked processed look so many seem to favor. Nice. Having been there many times it is very representative of reality to me

Oct 05, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

Thanks everyone! I might go back and post process these now that ACR works with the D600 files.

The D600 is a keeper for sure. The best IQ in any camera I've ever used (although, I haven't used the D800 yet).

Oct 05, 2012 at 07:09 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

What Nikon software? I find NX2 isn't really limiting compared to anything else, but it is slow and takes a bit to learn. Nice shots... makes me wanna get a 600... which I don't need right now as I am gonna beef up my jeep instead. lol

Oct 05, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

daskibum wrote:
What Nikon software? I find NX2 isn't really limiting compared to anything else, but it is slow and takes a bit to learn. Nice shots... makes me wanna get a 600... which I don't need right now as I am gonna beef up my jeep instead. lol

I was mistaken, my camera shipped with Nikon's View NX2 software, not Capture NX2. I've been reading up and watching videos of the Capture NX2 software and it looks like a great tool.

I tried a few photos using ACR and wasn't happy with it, they look washed out. I am going to buy Capture NX2 and try it out (downloaded the trial last night but haven't used it yet).

Oct 07, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

I really like what you were doing with #3 and I feel like it's a bit too bright. Some minus exposure and plus contrast may really add some depth to the stacked mountains

Nice job!

Oct 07, 2012 at 03:09 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

I went back and re post processed the 2nd photo using the Capture NX2 trial that I downloaded. Although it is much different than ACR, it is a pretty powerful tool. I'll definitely have to buy it and start working with it.

Anyway, I did a little more to the photo before converting it to a jpeg. I then opened it in Photoshop and took out the stick in the center of the image (thanks for the tip), using the spot healing brush tool and content aware. It worked excellent! You wouldn't be able to tell where I cloned it out even at 100%, that content aware is an excellent update to CS6.

Here is the photo. I'm going to go back to doing the same with the other photos.

28-Sept-2012-2b by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Oct 09, 2012 at 09:53 PM
Colorado CJ
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Smoky Grand Tetons -- D600 Photos

And here is the first photo. I reprocessed it in Capture NX2 and removed the grasses in the bottom left of the frame in Photoshop.

28-Sept-2012-1b by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Oct 09, 2012 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.