Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · notebook suggestion

Ripolini
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · notebook suggestion

Dear fellows,
my notebook died this morning (it doesn't switch on anymore ... )
I never liked its monitor colors, even after calibration with ColorMunki.
I wonder if notebooks with a good monitor (at least similar to my LaCie photon20vision II) do exist.
Have you any recommendation for a portable PC with a monitor suitable for proper post-processing of images (I use NX2 and CS4)?
Is Apple the only choice when accurate color reproduction is concerned?
TIA.

Best,

R.

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · notebook suggestion

HP makes the "DreamColor" laptop
Lenovo has the W530
Dell has the Precision series

These all have full gamut screens (or at least 95%) with the "DreamColor" being around 120%. I've used both the Lenovo W520 and Dell Precision laptops, but not the HP. My preference for the monitor between the Dell vs. the Lenovo is for the Dell Precision.

Sager also has a full gamut option now, but I've no experience there either.

I've tried to find info on Sony's gamut but never did get solid info on their offerings. Their CS & website info was abysmal with people not even knowing what gamut is, but given Sony's involvement in the industry I'm hopeful that they might have a wide gamut option (I haven't checked for a while at their display offerings) as well. But, Sony doesn't seem too progressive at making machines with large RAM capabilities like the HP, Dell, Lenovo & Sager and multiple drive options ... i.e. very consumer oriented rather than scalable performance oriented.

The HP, Dell and Lenovo's best in class machines are not some cute little sleek super thin lightweight ultraportable notebook. They are performance machines (which generates heat, which requires cooling, which makes things bigger, i.e. heat sinks/fans, etc.). I mention this in case you are hoping to find performance and small size and great display. The best displays are only found on the best performers ... as far as I've been able to find.

HTH

Sep 30, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Ripolini
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · notebook suggestion

Thanks HTH.

RustyBug wrote:
These all have full gamut screens (or at least 95%) with the "DreamColor" being around 120%.

Are you referring to sRGB?

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · notebook suggestion

Not restricted @ sRGB ... i.e. aRGB, NSTC capable

Read about Dell's "PremierColor" at the bottom of the page. Check out the "side by side" comparison tab also @ %.
http://content.dell.com/us/en/business/d/help-me-choose/hmc-precision-lcd

Here's the link for the Latitude lineup, notice in the "side by side" comps that nothing comes close to 100%.
http://content.dell.com/us/en/business/d/help-me-choose/hmc-latitude-e-series-lcd

Pretty much the same story @ HP & Lenovo ... the full color displays are only available on the top of the line mobile workstations. For most consumer web viewing and business applications 60% or 72% is plenty as this encompasses most of sRGB and web color. Very few people really need 100% gamut such as we might aspire for, so it get relegated to top end machines only. It might be starting to open up a little bit, but this is the most I've found so far.

Edited on Sep 30, 2012 at 04:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 30, 2012 at 03:58 PM
Ripolini
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · notebook suggestion

Thanks for links.

Best,

R.

Sep 30, 2012 at 04:07 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register