Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

M635_Guy wrote:
Just buy Lexar Pro instead...

Or Transcend for half the price

Oct 14, 2012 at 07:10 PM
kodakeos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

I bought the Lexar because of the 1000X write speed for the 5DIII. WAY faster than any of the Sandisk extreme's I have around here.
I really prefer Sandisk but they seem to have topped out and forgotten their pro users. They used to always be first with the fastest read cards, now its been years since they updated their cards (they had just announced the new pro 90mbps when i visited the Photo Expo in Oct 2009..with the 1DIV)

Oct 18, 2012 at 02:29 PM
greggn
• •
p.2 #3 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

>> According to Lexar UDMA 6 maxes out at 133 MB/s and UDMA 7 maxes out at 167 MB/s.

> All brands that I have tried and tested

How did you test the difference between UDMA6 and UDMA7 ?

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

greggn wrote:
>> According to Lexar UDMA 6 maxes out at 133 MB/s and UDMA 7 maxes out at 167 MB/s.

> All brands that I have tried and tested

How did you test the difference between UDMA6 and UDMA7 ?

I have many cards in both versions. As an example, the Transcends 400x and 600x cards that they sell today are UDMA 7 cards. The same cards that I bought a year ago are UDMA 6 cards. And they look exacly the same except the UDMA 7 writing on the cards. Other brands also have similar upgrades of their cards. And sell their cards in both UDMA 6 and 7 versions.
And the new UDMA 7 versions of those cards have a huge improvement in speed. Even if the still have the same 400x and 600x labels on them
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1137133/0#10893319

Oct 20, 2012 at 04:29 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

kodakeos wrote:
I bought the Lexar because of the 1000X write speed for the 5DIII. WAY faster than any of the Sandisk extreme's I have around here.
I really prefer Sandisk but they seem to have topped out and forgotten their pro users. They used to always be first with the fastest read cards, now its been years since they updated their cards (they had just announced the new pro 90mbps when i visited the Photo Expo in Oct 2009..with the 1DIV)

Transcend have also released their 1000X cards. I'm not sure if you can buy then today, or you have to wait a couple of weeks. But I have seen them in sizes from 16GB to 128GB at the Transcend website. And Amazon take orders for them also. A lot lower priced than Lexar 1000X cards.
Yes it's very strange that both Lexar and Transcend have their 1000X UDMA 7 cards out. And Sandisk don't even have the 600X UDMA 7 cards yet !!!

Oct 21, 2012 at 05:11 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Or Transcend for half the price

Transcend is the Sirui of the card world

Oct 22, 2012 at 01:07 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

M635_Guy wrote:
Just buy Lexar Pro instead...

I'll never use one again, 3 different cards, 3 different failures in less than 6 months. I've been using my Transcend cards for a good 2 years now. Actually just purchased 4 32gb cards to replace my 16gb ones for an upcoming trip. I'm excited.

Oct 22, 2012 at 02:22 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

M635_Guy wrote:
Transcend is the Sirui of the card world

If you refer to tripod brands I would call them Gitzo or RRS.
And I have bought & used more than 100 Transcend cards without any failure in the last ten years. Still own about 70 Transcend cards. And the speed are among the best you can find whatever you pay...

Maybe you don't remember when Lexar made faulty cards that didn't work in Canon camera's

Oct 22, 2012 at 05:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

we diverge from here. transcend is not my answer for truth in performance. each time i have tried their product it has fallen short on its promise. yes lexar has had one or two issues but they are consistant performers and push the level that other want to attain. i myself had only one issue with one card back in their humble beginnings. they made good on it too. but then that was on a nikon body. i never had an issue on my Canon bodies that canon hadn't created themselves

Oct 24, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

So what CF cards have you tried ? Have you used any of their UDMA 7 cards ? Because they perform better than the Sandisk cards.

Oct 25, 2012 at 05:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kodakeos
• • •
p.2 #11 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

I expect fully to see new faster cards from Sandisk at photoexpo.

They have not had a product refresh in some time. They were the leader a few years ago. I think their growth has hurt them.

Oct 25, 2012 at 04:47 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

kodakeos wrote:
I expect fully to see new faster cards from Sandisk at photoexpo.

They have not had a product refresh in some time. They were the leader a few years ago. I think their growth has hurt them.

I also expect to see new cards from Sandisk. They have to come out with 1000x (or similar) when all the competition have done that. And upgrade their current line to UDMA 7.

Oct 25, 2012 at 05:00 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

Lexar has their own fabs and ownership of the whole process. That has benefits.

Also, I sent an e-mail to them at a generic link on their support site about something that come up on my blog, and they responded in less than 48 hours with a pretty detailed e-mail, and commented that they were aware of the threads I'd (very generally) referenced.

Transcend seems to be a no-name budget brand, but that is just my opinion.

Oct 26, 2012 at 01:42 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

M635_Guy wrote:
Lexar has their own fabs and ownership of the whole process. That has benefits.

Also, I sent an e-mail to them at a generic link on their support site about something that come up on my blog, and they responded in less than 48 hours with a pretty detailed e-mail, and commented that they were aware of the threads I'd (very generally) referenced.

Transcend seems to be a no-name budget brand, but that is just my opinion.

It's obvious that you don't have a clue about the things or companies you write about.

Transcend is a huge company in Taiwan. And one of their top companies. Ranked 62 globally in Business Week's Infotech. They have been on the stockmarket for more than 10 years.
Transcend has offices in the United States, Germany, the Netherlands, United Kingdom, Japan, Hong Kong, China, and South Korea. And their own fabs in a lot of different countries.
And they where ranked as world's third largest manufacturer of Flash Drives behind Toshiba and SanDisk, with 9 % global market share. Way ahead of Lexar
They have also been around since 1988 and existed a long time before Lexar.

And you say they are a no name brand

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:19 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

Lars Johnsson wrote:
It's obvious that you don't have a clue about the things or companies you write about.

Transcend is a huge company in Taiwan. And one of their top companies. Ranked 62 globally in Business Week's Infotech. They have been on the stockmarket for more than 10 years.
Transcend has offices in the United States, Germany, the Netherlands, United Kingdom, Japan, Hong Kong, China, and South Korea. And their own fabs in a lot of different countries.
And they where ranked as world's third largest manufacturer of Flash Drives behind Toshiba and SanDisk, with 9 % global market share. Way ahead
...Show more

I'm screwing with you a bit. I actually read a bit about them before posting. You spend so much time stomping in Sirui based on a minimum of experience that I was having a little fun.

That said, I have heard somewhat spotty things about them here and elsewhere. Not a lot, but enough that I wouldn't buy them. I've always owned Lexar cards, never had a problem and like that they tend to show the fastest performance (at least in Rob G's tests).

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:42 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

You didn't know anything about Transcend (just like you didn't know about Sirui) And what have tripods to do with this thread ?
And I actually own 3 Lexar 128GB cards

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:58 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

sjms wrote:
they are being slipstreamed in

Oct 26, 2012 at 06:09 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

Lars Johnsson wrote:
You didn't know anything about Transcend (just like you didn't know about Sirui) And what have tripods to do with this thread ?
And I actually own 3 Lexar 128GB cards

Don't get upset - you don't know any more about Sirui than I do. In fact, I'd say I know more since I've actually met and talked with people from the company.

My point is you have an opinion about Transcend, and that is all it is. While they may be a large company, I think it is fair to say they aren't a well-known brand. My opinion about them isn't especially positive or particularly negative, but I rate SANDisk above them and Lexar significantly above them. (but it is just an opinion)

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:00 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

They are way ahead of Lexar as a well-known brand in most countries around the world. You are from the USA and because of that your own companies will be more known for you. World wide I would rank these companies as 1. Sandisk 2 Transcend 3 Lexar (and Lexar way behind the other two) Lexar Media is a fairly new company/brand as it is today, after being bought by Micron Technology 4-5 years ago

Oct 26, 2012 at 05:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Sandisk CF cards not UDMA 7

please, i have been all over the world (sorta difficult not to in my day job and to many places i rather preferred not to go). transcend is a second tier company in most countries i have been to. they are concentrators of product. they will produce per order from parts available as an OEM. yes i do agree that lexar is smaller but well ahead of the curve and product generally exceeds their specs. i can't say that about my experiences with transcend.

i have used their product and never got too excited about it so i sold it.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password