New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

rennocneb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

Im in the process of ordering strobes. Previously ive always used hot shoe flashes off camera shooting into or thru umbrellas. I have been able to acheive some pretty good results but looking for more power. The ability to turn day into night at times and the like. Also the ability to better light a bigger scene in daylight. Finical reasons have me looking at an Alien Bee setup. Portability including power is a must for me. Their vagabond mini seems decent and for the price the AB800 doesnt seem to be a bad head. thinking about two of these with their PLM series umbrellas and the vagabond. That puts me right about 1000-1100 dollars which is roughly what i have to spend. Is there any other options that i really should look at? is a single strobe enough? ive always shot with two in the past

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:52 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

As every man knows: one is okay, two are better.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:08 AM
rennocneb
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

is there anything else other than alienbees to look at? if i go single id assume go with more light? if i went single i could probably do 1 einstein versus 2 Ab800's how about Flashpoint from Adorama they are cheap but are they any good?

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:26 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

If you're looking in that neighborhood price wise of AB units (I'm highly recommending that also) I would just pop the extra bit and do the 2 Einstein with a CC unit and be down with it.

The 2 will give you flexibility for rim and main. That will take a while to master and get all you can out of that combo. And being as this unit will not be going away soon, and it upgradeable with firmware, hardware etc.. It's a good bet.

And if it all falls to crap, the resale on this stuff is outta this world.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:37 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

I'd buy the better now and add another in future, if needed.
That said, for outdoors one source will do (for main or fill lighting). The same for indoors when you add a reflector panel (for fill light).
The Flashpoint are okay for the price (IMO a large dealer like Adorama would otherwise have abandoned them by now) but I suppose buying from a source with very good, responsive customer service is more favourable in the long run.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:44 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

As Peter suggest, I would suggest you buy only one light right now; Einstein or AB1600. Why do people immediately believe 2 or more is better? This is especially true if portability is important to you. You can do a lot with 1 mono, a reflector, and the hot shoe flashes you already have.

~ If the 1 mono is your main you can easily use the hot shoe flashes for rim lights or fill.
~ If the 1 mono is your main the sun can be used as rim light.
~ If the 1 mono is your fill to the sun you don't need much else, or add rim with your hot shoe flashes.

These are only a few examples AND the benefit is your still keeping things portable by not having the other mono to deal with.

As for Adorama's FlashPoint lights, I had one several years ago. It was well built and very nice. However, they are not as small as the AB/Einstein offerings of similar power. In other words, the FlashPoints are larger...and this is the only reason I sold them and went with an AB1600.

I also went with PW ControlTL system because it controls my (Canon) hot shoe flashes and my AB1600.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:56 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

I would also recommend the White Lightning products, but for a cheap strobe, you could check on the Interfit lights. I have one for a background light and it seems to be nicely built and gives nice light. My only dislike on it is that it has an audible beep that you have to turn off every time you turn it off and on if you don't want it to beep(which is very annoying). It is also a bit larger. I think two or more lights are important in a studio situation, but if you are trying to shoot in the sunlight(fill flash type thing) then you can be fine with one light.

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:05 AM
rennocneb
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

a lot of my photo work is of a senior picture type and a lot of the girls in my area really are into the look of overpowering the sun and making day into night. Im just concerned about one light being limiting and if i go to monolights one of my hotshoes is going away. Would a single sb700 have a prayer of being fill to an einstein for example?

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:06 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

Over powering the sun doesn't require two or more lights; it depends on the power of the light source (including modifier). It also depends on "which sun" you are referring to. High noon is different than sun setting light. In either case an Einstein or AB1600 can do it even with a modifier; that's part of the love that many have with PLM system, though I can't say for sure because I don't own any PLMs. It's especially easy if you are shooting only one or even two subjects. Get your light as close as you need to get it done. Use a silver surfaced modifier if it doesn't work against you, etc, etc.

I've overpowered the sun with two Canon 550EX flashes in a 24x24 silver interior softbox. I've photographed couples for engagement shoots and models with the same gear. Don't get me wrong, hot shoe flashes overpowering the sun can be a challenge at times. The key was to get the light in close. I purchased AB1600 because I wasn't always able to get the light close or I needed a larger light source for other reasons.

A single SB700 can be used as fill to an Einstein because it's only "fill" and doesn't need as much output. Again, it depends.

I think things can be made simpler by starting out with less. When you factor in more than one light you can end up working harder.

1 - Expose your ambient the way you want it to look (EG sun).
2 - Decide on your main light (let's say mono).
3 - See if the ambient (sun) can rim your subject.
4 - #3 may or may not work. If not a hotshoe flash can easily add rim light.

These steps are with one light. Of course if you want a different look one light can do that too Lighting the scene as you put it is properly lighting your subject after deciding on your ambient light....or at least that's easiest for me

My main reason for pushing this whole one light thing is because you mention "Portability including power is a must for me."

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
rennocneb
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

How limiting would one strobe be? Then which big strobe einstein or xl1600

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:07 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

How about used? Also, you might have a look at a pack & head setup.

For location work, I much prefer a pack, which keeps most of the weight on the ground, with relatively lightweight heads. That also allows you to carry much lighter stands than for a monolight.

Personally, I would look at a Profoto Acute used. If funds are too tight, you might also look at Dynalight. They can also run off of a portable inverter.

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:21 PM
rennocneb
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Strobe Advice needed ordering very soon

Ive looked used without much luck. The real reason im buying from buff is its an american compqny with good support from what i hear

Sep 25, 2012 at 09:47 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.