Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

I am seeing:

Anything Nikon mount (Nikkor, Zeiss ZF, Voigt) - easier conversion
Some Leicas - how are they to convert?
Some Contax - tricky conversion

What about other lenses?

Do Rokkors require conversion? For ex. 58/1.2?

What would a nice, not-too-$$$ alt setup for Sony A99 include?

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:04 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

http://leitax.com/

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:06 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

The Rokkor 58/1.2 requires a custom made mount, I think I paid $70 for mine. It's a quick, easy 2 min job to switch mounts. Results are awesome.

Sep 24, 2012 at 05:23 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

ricardovaste wrote:
http://leitax.com/

That's where I started, too. They don't cover lenses like the Rokkors, etc. though.

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:14 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

mortyb wrote:
The Rokkor 58/1.2 requires a custom made mount, I think I paid $70 for mine. It's a quick, easy 2 min job to switch mounts. Results are awesome.

Where did you find the mount?

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:15 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

you can use any m42 -> alpha mount adapter, but you will need to drill your own holes and find some mount spacers.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3160/2990633133_572ba5e5d6_o.jpg

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:37 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

I will dig up the link tomorrow. The one I got you just switch with the original mount, no surgery needed.

http://www.rharris-images.com/lens-adapters/

Sep 24, 2012 at 06:57 PM
aman74

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

Subscribing, because there's no subscribe button here.

Sep 24, 2012 at 08:55 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

@Morty, thanks for the link! Lots of good info there. Looks like there's a possibility I could adapt my much loved OM50/1.2.

@Jim, the lens looks very nice on that body!

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:14 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

mortyb wrote:
I will dig up the link tomorrow. The one I got you just switch with the original mount, no surgery needed.

Pete Ganzel's name pops up a lot if you do a search on the subject, but I pmailed Pete at PBase a couple of times with no response and it doesn't seem like anyone's purchased one lately. He may not be making them anymore.

Thanks for the link to Richard's website. That's interesting that he's advertising reversible OM conversions. I'd heard that wasn't possible for some of the more popular lenses.

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:26 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

@FLM - TY You gonna be here for Fall colors this weekend?? They are raging.

Sep 24, 2012 at 09:53 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

I wish, but no, unfortunately. Sorry, I forgot to PM you. I got volunteered to play tour guide for a couple of shooters from South Africa. They want to see RMNP to "try and find some elk" (their words). I told them if we had to expend any effort aside from driving in the right direction, there's something seriously wrong with the elk population.

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

freaklikeme wrote:
I wish, but no, unfortunately. Sorry, I forgot to PM you. I got volunteered to play tour guide for a couple of shooters from South Africa. They want to see RMNP to "try and find some elk" (their words). I told them if we had to expend any effort aside from driving in the right direction, there's something seriously wrong with the elk population.

Oh well, back to stalking Jacob, I guess - every Jane, Dick, and Spot with an I-Phone will be on the roads taking pictures this weekend...

I am going to try to hit the Hot Air Balloon Festival at Mancos - good times!

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

If I was shooting A99, my lenses would be:
Rokkor 58/1.2
ZA 135/1.8
ZA 85/1.4
ZF 35/1.4 or 35/2 with Leitax
ZA 24/2

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:13 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

i quick tested the A99 with the Sony 50mm in MF peaking mode on photokina,
the results were perfect sharp.
For me the peaking mode in A99 is the best way to focus.
much˛ better, easier than with my (s)old 5D with LEICA split screen.

i wish the A99 were born a few years earlier.
r

Sep 25, 2012 at 05:36 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

If you have a problem focusing fast glass with the M screen on the a900 you probably need your eyes testing :-).

That is a nice suggestion Wayne. The Rokkor draws very differently to the ZA stuff, so they can't really be used alongside each other in the same series, but it can be supplementary of course as it gives a very unique look. I upgraded to ZA glass in July. 16-35, 85 & 135 have been balancing together wonderfully. My only wish is for something shorter and fast, something like a 35/1.4ZA... I've not much interest in the new 50 in honesty. The Rokkor owns that.

mortyb wrote:

I've never linked here before as I feel it would be a bit advantageous, self promoting, if I did so myself, but 'Richard Harris' is me, if anyone hadn't put two and two together. I've been making these for I guess 3 or so years now. As the page mentioned, handmade, made to order... so I don't have a huge stock or anything like that. I simply turn the lathe on and get going as and when. It is completely non destructive, reversible and of course gives you FF + infinity focus, so I think the attraction is obvious, but still this lens is not for everyone. Some people just can't focus is well enough (patience, skill, eye problems), and often that combines to people calling it 'soft' or 'useless at 1.2'. I have experienced some that have a glow at 1.2, but the detail is still there, but of course I personally prefer glow-less as it's just a cleaner picture that way.

Example of real life photo at 1.2 on a900. Very detailed all the way to 12x8. I rarely print such images above that, but it will easily go above.

http://www.rharris-images.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Kim__Jason_Pre-Wedding_56.jpg

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:05 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

Hey Richard, that's awesome, I never knew until now. Both the buying process and the quality and fit of the mount was absolutely perfect, I can recommend Richard's mounts wholeheartedly.

Sep 25, 2012 at 06:22 AM
joychris
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

Richard, just bookmarked your page. I'm very close to buying a A99 myself and I use Rokkors as my primary video lenses.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:46 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

ricardovaste wrote:
If you have a problem focusing fast glass with the M screen on the a900 you probably need your eyes testing :-).

The M screen is awesome, every bit the best OVF focusing experience on a DSLR today.

For focusing fast glass, the A99 is even better.

Sep 25, 2012 at 07:53 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What alts work on Sony A-mount?

Hey Richard, very cool that you make the lens adapters!!! Kudos & thanks for posting about it on this thread.

You SHOULD promote yourself, esp. in the alt community. I had no idea these adapters could be made.

Awesome!

Sep 25, 2012 at 08:32 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.