Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Fred Miranda wrote:
Update: Bryan at the-digital-picture.com <a target=_blank href=http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx>just posted a review</a> on the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II lens. (Part I)

Thanks Fred. It's a glowing review. Glad I got one.

I plan to put it through the paces tomorrow. The guys at the Camera Repair Centre were very impressed today by its focus speed. It's the fastest they've ever seen, bar the SMCP-FA* 24/2 IF AL that I showed them a few years ago

Sep 27, 2012 at 07:56 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Very interesting. Looks like they have some early QC issues?

Sep 27, 2012 at 08:24 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Fred Miranda wrote:
Update: Bryan at the-digital-picture.com <a target=_blank href=http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx>just posted a review</a> on the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II lens. (Part I)

Copy issues? At this price point? This is very disappointing. And I was hoping it's a non-issue after reading Roger's test.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM
jonbrach
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

glowing review?He had to use 3 different copies to write the review and while he found each lens to have outstanding performance at different focal lengths etc he didnt find one that was outstanding and consistent throughout...i value Bryans reviews very much but if I am buying a 2300 dollar lens this review does NOT give me any confidence!

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

jasonFTW wrote:
Thanks! Ordered. Let's hope they really are in stock. Cancelling Adorama pre-order now.

Watch out. If PC Nation needed to verify you as a first time major purchaser they let other people slip ahead of you and they sold out before they got to verify anyone despite the email verification system making it sound like you were in the clear. So you may think you have a copy on the one but it may be back ordered in reality.

They should have at least held your place in line while they got around to calling you back to verify payment CC, a little poor to bump your spot in line, even if given a delivery date with expedited shipping, all the way down until stock was gone, just because they hadn't had time to call and verify your order yet. By the time I found I was bumped I had to pay for speedier shipping elsewhere. Oh well. Again lesson if it need something never rely on web orders just call and speak to a real person so you know what is up on the spot and can get any potential issued handled right away, another silly mistake on my part.

Kenmore did have them for real though. Very friendly place with honest in stock listings.

Edited on Sep 28, 2012 at 02:03 AM · View previous versions

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM
risedal

p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

thw2 wrote:
You seem like a highly frustrated Canon user: having problems with their sensors, cameras and lenses. You are better off with any other brand.

I have Canon, Nikon, Leica, Hasselblad , Sinar
any suggestions?

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

risedal wrote:
any suggestions?

Yeah, they all have problems.

EBH

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM
risedal

p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

of course, but some does not admit or denial that their own bellowed equipment can have problems

Ps Claus at photozone.de was also little bit confused about 24-70mk1

It should be mentioned that the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 USM L is a bit of a personal nemesis. A couple of years ago I tested the lens on the old EOS 350D (APS-C) and it took me 4 (f-o-u-r) samples of the lens to get a good one - please note: "good", not a "great" sample. The first three variants showed rather hefty centering defects which spoiled the results quite a bit. Actually I didn't really want to test this lens anymore but we were able to get our hands on the "good" sample again so ...

Edited on Sep 28, 2012 at 12:29 AM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

jonbrach wrote:
glowing review?He had to use 3 different copies to write the review and while he found each lens to have outstanding performance at different focal lengths etc he didnt find one that was outstanding and consistent throughout...i value Bryans reviews very much but if I am buying a 2300 dollar lens this review does NOT give me any confidence!

it is a touch worrisome, if you pay 2300 for this sort of lens it darn well better be 2300 glass

i wonder how LR got so many copies so fast (where they all tested to have super little copy variation and were superb across the range), maybe all from Canon, did they tune each copy before shipping to him just wild speculation probably without merit

StanJ posted some amazing samples from his copy though.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Invertalon
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

http://www.flickr.com/photos/invertalon/sets/72157631617263281/

Some samples from my 24-70 II... All full resolution. Just click and peep away.

Loving the detail and sharpness end to end with this lens. So awesome.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Invertalon wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/invertalon/sets/72157631617263281/

Some samples from my 24-70 II... All full resolution. Just click and peep away.

Loving the detail and sharpness end to end with this lens. So awesome.

Wow, looks great!

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

risedal wrote:
any suggestions?

Dump the ones like Canon that cause you grief. Then, you won't be so full of angst.

PS: I hear the Nikon D800 left side focusing problem is giving many owners lots of pain. Wonder if you were affected. If so, you should dump Canon and Nikon. Hopefully, Leica, Hasselblad and Sinar produce perfect out-of-factory products that suit your needs. Then, you'll be one happy camper. Why suffer?

Sep 28, 2012 at 01:59 AM
risedal

p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

thw2 wrote:
Dump the ones like Canon that cause you grief. Then, you won't be so full of angst.

PS: I hear the Nikon D800 left side focusing problem is giving many owners lots of pain. Wonder if you were affected. If so, you should dump Canon and Nikon. Hopefully, Leica, Hasselblad and Sinar produce perfect out-of-factory products that suit your needs. Then, you'll be one happy camper. Why suffer?

yes I have trouble with the left AF point and 3-5 m away and have no problem to admit there are a problem

I use my iPhone instead

Sep 28, 2012 at 09:16 AM
jasonFTW

p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Thanks for the info. It looks like I indeed got shafted by them as my order is now listed as 'backordered'. I am waiting to call them as soon as they open to find out what is going on. Of course, they were quick to put a hold on my CC for the full amount that I now need to wait a few days to clear.

Sep 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM
R. Eisenberg
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

skibum5 wrote:
Wow, looks great!

Very promising indeed!

Sep 28, 2012 at 01:27 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

risedal wrote:
yes I have trouble with the left AF point and 3-5 m away and have no problem to admit there are a problem
I use my iPhone instead

That's awesome. Cheap (relatively) and reliable. Should just dump all your photographic gear and stick to camera phones. Less pain, less stress.

Sep 28, 2012 at 01:43 PM
elbeasto
• •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

I don't get why there aren't any samples at 24mm wide open, it's more of a true test of this lenses ability. Almost any zoom is going to look good at f/9.

Sep 29, 2012 at 06:57 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

elbeasto wrote:
I don't get why there aren't any samples at 24mm wide open, it's more of a true test of this lenses ability. Almost any zoom is going to look good at f/9.

1. 24mm is used stopped down quite often by many
2. it is FAR from true that all lenses are the same at f/9, not even close, compare a zeiss 21 or a 24 T&S II or a 24 1.4 II or the 24-70 II 24 samples at f/8 to ones from a 24-105 and there is a world of difference (on FF).

Sep 29, 2012 at 07:43 AM
elbeasto
• •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

I didn't say they'd all look the same at f/9, please don't put words in my mouth.

I said that any zoom would look good at f/9, meaning that it will be a better looking sample compared to one at f/2.8.
Hence my wish to see a sample from the reviewed lens at 24mm f/2.8

Sep 29, 2012 at 09:37 AM
misterOphoto

p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II reviewed by Photozone

Sample @ 24mm wide open:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmogden/8008232551/in/photostream

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM
       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell