Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              60      
       62              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.61 #1 · p.61 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Well, just had a play with the demo version, and two Sigma files—it's a very nice interface and much more intuitive than SPP. Too early to say, but if this can handle the Foveon and X-Trans files, we could have a winner here.

Jan 17, 2013 at 05:10 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.61 #2 · p.61 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Only for Mac' s

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:08 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.61 #3 · p.61 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Jede wrote:

Here's the scene which I intentionally edited to "unrealistic" look.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8383347869_e2bc2b9f2d_c.jpg

Smoke

what a great image!

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:12 PM
cjrpostma
[X]
p.61 #4 · p.61 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
to cjrpostma, from the BHPhotovideo ad for the MeFoto:

An Arca-Swiss style quick release plate is included.

I cannot guarantee this, and someone else might be able to confirm, but I believe the RRS bracket is the same width and profile. A quick email to B&H should confirm this.

P.S., the titanium finish is the only one I'd be comfortable with, and it's the one I have.

Thanks, Kit. I saw that on B&H and did some searching but didn't come up with a definitive answer. It certainly looks like it will work based on the pictures. If I can be happy with the MeFoto it will save me a lot of money compared to the other option that has my eye, a Gitzo with a Really Right Stuff ball head.

Thanks again for the response.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.61 #5 · p.61 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Can someone point me to where SPP's "Fill Light" is explained? SPP's Help files are—well, they feel like they are written to protect the IP rather than to help the user actually use the software! For example, I have noticed that if there are over-exposed areas in the image, adding Fill Light pulls these back (this to me is hugely counter-intuitive; adding light would worsen this problem, you'd think), but clearly Fill Light does more than fill.

TIA, KL

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.61 #6 · p.61 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

to cjrpostma: try their Live help; it works well if the time zones suit.

Jan 17, 2013 at 07:15 PM
neilvan
• • •
p.61 #7 · p.61 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Some frozen grass near a slough from today...(sharing online at these resolutions just does not do this camera justice!)

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VyoPxM0_fVU/UPjIf2GeyYI/AAAAAAAADpI/NYT_vXYxt6g/s1000/_SDI0265.jpg

Jan 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.61 #8 · p.61 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Playing more with Iridient: compared to Aperture and SPP, the shadows tool only provides a small fraction of the adjustability of most other Raw developers. There is no equivalent to SPP's 'Fill Light' (and I would love someone to explain to me what this does, or point me to a place that can). More to come (if I can make the time tomorrow, I will take difficult file and run it through SPP and Iridient).

Jan 18, 2013 at 02:52 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.61 #9 · p.61 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yes, i also noticed this behavior. When you're opening the shadows, you're simultaneously pulling back the highlights. I wonder if the highlight slider does anything...it doesn't seem to have any effect.
I don't think any raw converter will be able to provide SPP's fill functionality.
It looks like customized for Foveon, with an understanding of the sensor behavior. It really seems to do much more than pull the shadows and highlights.

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Can someone point me to where SPP's "Fill Light" is explained? SPP's Help files are—well, they feel like they are written to protect the IP rather than to help the user actually use the software! For example, I have noticed that if there are over-exposed areas in the image, adding Fill Light pulls these back (this to me is hugely counter-intuitive; adding light would worsen this problem, you'd think), but clearly Fill Light does more than fill.

TIA, KL

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Kibsgaard
• •
p.61 #10 · p.61 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.61 #11 · p.61 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

neilvan wrote:
Some frozen grass near a slough from today...(sharing online at these resolutions just does not do this camera justice!)

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VyoPxM0_fVU/UPjIf2GeyYI/AAAAAAAADpI/NYT_vXYxt6g/s1000/_SDI0265.jpg

Would you please share a bigger better file. It must be amazing to see the ice in detail. Thanks.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:42 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.61 #12 · p.61 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

First light on my new foveon sensor....

WSM by Jeaunse23, on Flickr

No adjustment in SPP just conversion to TIFF and export to LR4 for a few tweaks.

Jan 18, 2013 at 05:25 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.61 #13 · p.61 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Playing more with Iridient: compared to Aperture and SPP, the shadows tool only provides a small fraction of the adjustability of most other Raw developers. There is no equivalent to SPP's 'Fill Light' (and I would love someone to explain to me what this does, or point me to a place that can). More to come (if I can make the time tomorrow, I will take difficult file and run it through SPP and Iridient).

Hi Kit,

From what I can see, SPP processing has lot to do with what most folks associate with the foveon look - perhaps even moreso than the sensor. Below are some example crops comparing SPP with Raw Developer (Iridient Developer).

Basically, it appears that SPP automatically clips the deepest shadows in order to hide noise that would otherwise be pretty noticeable. It also applies a highlight mask and increases local contrast in both the highlights and mid tones. This effect is what most people associate with the foveon look I think. Anyway, there is a lot of processing going on which probably helps explain why SPP is so slow compared to other raw developers.

Default SPP processing:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/sigmadef.jpg

Defualt SPP on left, Iridient on right. Note the shadow clipping and enhanced contrast of SPP. Iridient processing looks more natural:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/sigmacompdefshadow.jpg

Same area but adjusted to extract as much detail as possible out of each. Note SPP still clips shadow detail that Iridient will show, along with noise:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/sppprocessing.jpg

Highlight masking and local contrast enhancement in SPP, on left. Iridient on right.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5540407/sigmacomphigh.jpg

Edited on Mar 05, 2015 at 07:48 AM · View previous versions

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.61 #14 · p.61 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

I´ve this very odd question and really would like your opinions because I love this work and this type of focal view.
I never ever used a wide lens as I mention before and would like to understand if this is achievable with the DP1M (28mm) or if I need a wider lens.
20, 21, 25 or 28m? What´s your opinion friends? How were these nice images made?

Here is the link:
http://marcatkins.com/parisandlondon/ParisandLondon.html

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:21 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.61 #15 · p.61 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

They aren't all done with the same focal length, I think, but most of them are done with something quite wide, maybe 21mm or 24mm, I would guess. 28mm would give you something similar in a pinch, but from what I have read here, I doubt the Sigmas would make great street cameras.

Jan 18, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.61 #16 · p.61 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yes, I think it´s more on the 21, 24mm range, maybe 20mm (there´s a Voightlander; an example). Two cities maybe different cameras and lenses.
I don´t think it´s a zoom.
28mm isn´t that wide as some of those photos are?!

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.61 #17 · p.61 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

To Tariq: brilliant—and saves me doing it. Very clear—and a strong argument for continuing to use SPP.

Do you know what the Fill Light does or how it works, by any chance? The most interesting explanation I found over at DPR (this from Kendall Gelner):

Fill light is really different, because it draws values in from the extreme edges of the histogram (incidentally reducing high-end clipping in a number of cases in the process) while drawing values in from the high and low end to meet in the center.

That really does seem to sum up what I see, but do you have anything to add?

Re. the lovely marcatkins images: They could be made with a 28mm equivalent, I feel, but the Sigma DP1M would definitely not be my first choice. I use a CV 12/5.6 on a Fuji X-E1 (18mm EFOV) for this kind of work and it is surely a case of "ƒ8 and be there" (with the manual distance scale set to 1–1.5m). And that lens on the X-E1 is spectacular.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.61 #18 · p.61 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Hi Kit,

That sounds about right just based on what I'm seeing. The X3 Fill Light appears to behave just like using both "Fill" and "Recovery" together from the older versions of Adobe Camera Raw (pre Photoshop CS6). This creates an automatic mask for both the highlights and shadows...and the strength of both increases simultaneously as the numerical value of X3 Fill Light increases. I'm not sure just why both effects were not broken out into two separate tools. What's odd - and what I was pointing out earlier - is that the fill effect in the shadows seems to have an artificially imposed "floor" whereby it will force clipping, seemingly in order to hide noise.

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:33 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.61 #19 · p.61 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Why is there a highlight slider...isn't it for recovery?

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:42 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.61 #20 · p.61 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq, yes—I completely got what you were saying before, and I think your assessment of the Foveon 'look' is at least in part due to this—that, and because that pair of effects looks more filmic. Darker shadows, and lots of room in the highlights.

Jan 19, 2013 at 02:21 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.