Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              32      
       34              91       92       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

He shouldn't have done it....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 07, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Herb1911
• •
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Yesterdays DP2M pano in B&W...

Herb

Gasterse Duinen

Nov 07, 2012 at 03:08 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Nice Pano Herb!

And thanks for your effort too PP my image corners
I like the way the beach turned out, it got rid of the margenta. About the sky, I am not sure. Well it got rid of the margenta as well too, now I concentrate on it.
I think I can get about the same correction by sliding down the margenta slider in ACR. Don't you think?

Actually I underexposed the sky in ACR.
I don't use lightroom anymore because I got tired of the filing system. Not usable for me.

May be I should give it another try.

Michiel

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:46 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic wrote:
Nice Pano Herb!

And thanks for your effort too PP my image corners
I like the way the beach turned out, it got rid of the margenta. About the sky, I am not sure. Well it got rid of the margenta as well too, now I concentrate on it.
I think I can get about the same correction by sliding down the margenta slider in ACR. Don't you think?

Actually I underexposed the sky in ACR.
I don't use lightroom anymore because I got tired of the filing system. Not usable for me.

May be I should give it another try.

Michiel

Michiel, as always you are free to process your images as you want them to look and how you would like to do that :-)

I felt free to show what could be done with your image just because I very much dislike negative comment that does not show or inform how things possibly could be done better. Unfortunately I have met quite some negative commenters in the past 35 years or so who were not able to show any decent picture of themselves.
Good critique helps us creating better communicating images. Negative critique makes us obsessed with aspects that hardly matter.

Use ACR and leave Lightroom when it is not your cup of tea. In case needed you might want to use Cornerfix for edge and corner issues.
The Foveon sensor responds quite a lot to UV light and that is I think why the issue shows up more in some images than in others. Wide landscapes with lots of sky can be the most difficult. But they can also look perfectly normal depending on the light. Just working with (color) sliders does mostly not tackle the issue effectively without introducing unwanted side effects.
It is easy to get completely obsessed with all kinds of technical imaging aspects and analyze the image to death. One would expect that when no technical shortcomings are observed we are close to an image that communicates it's message brilliantly. Unfortunately this is far from the truth. Because average people respond to an image with their emotion in the first place. And that is why technicalities will always play the second violin.
However nice our DPx Merill's and this forum.

Herb

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:20 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.33 #5 · p.33 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

My question to Brian of Raw Developer for support of the new DPx Merill's:

Can we expect support for these new Foveon camera's shortly?

Answer today:

Yes, I'm now running overdue with the RAW Developer 2.0 update which was originally planned for last month, but it should be released soon.

Best regards,
Brian Griffith
Iridient Digital

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:46 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.33 #6 · p.33 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sculptormic wrote:
@ Douglas; That the camera has no EVF and no tilting screen is a fact. Still it is possible that this camera has virtues in handling, although it may be look like it is designed like a brick.
I prefer this well designed brick above a lot of other over designed point and shoot cameras.
I sort of like the straightforwardness of it and that continous in the interface and the direct buttons for the adjustments you need the most.
Behind the point and shoot image of this camera lies actually a pocket sized MF quality camera.
I consider these DP
...Show more

Hi, Michiel. I think that you're mischaracterizing my opinions of the DP2M, and we're mostly in agreement. All of my recent responses were simply in regards to millsart's (and later Herb's) comment that mentioned using the DP2M is about the journey, rather than the outcome, and I contend the exact opposite. This camera absolutely seems like it is about the fantastic outcome, which looks pretty outstanding for the most part, especially considering the size.

I see the DP2M as a very desirable camera for certain uses, so I don't think there's any contention between us in that regard. I certainly don't think the DP2M is unusable or anything. I just personally would want something a little different for my everyday photography, since I've never been a fan of an LCD based camera without at least a tilt option or EVF, but I could see fitting the DP2M into my lineup for some of specific uses. That's why I'm looking at this thread in the first place.

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:24 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.33 #7 · p.33 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Hopefully maybe 6 months down the road or so we can all score some DP's on an Amazon gold box of the day type deal for $699 each or something, so those on the fence and/or those who maybe want to add a DP1M to their DP2M (and vice versa) all will be able to do so and at a low enough price we can easily rationalize.

I think at this point in time, pretty much everyone knows the pro's, such as IQ, and con's, such as battery life, limited usefuness etc, and the pro's, as nice as they are, just aren't quite worth $1000 to a lot of people.

If that price can ever come down a bit, then there really isn't much reason for anyone who enjoys great IQ not to pick one up and enjoy using it in a limited context of what it excels at.

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:30 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.33 #8 · p.33 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Good points, Millsart. The DP2M at $699 would be hard to resist.

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.33 #9 · p.33 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Herb1911 wrote:
My question to Brian of Raw Developer for support of the new DPx Merill's:

Can we expect support for these new Foveon camera's shortly?

Answer today:

Yes, I'm now running overdue with the RAW Developer 2.0 update which was originally planned for last month, but it should be released soon.

Best regards,
Brian Griffith
Iridient Digital

One aspect of Raw Developer I have found to be very well implemented - and have used over the years - is the built in interpolation engine - and the sharpening tools. In fact, even without current support for the DP1 Merrill, I often export the DP1 M tiffs out of SPP with no sharpening, convert them into DNG's and then open them in Raw Developer for sharpening and interpolation up in size (Raw Developer supports DNG's). Yes, it's a cumbersome workflow but it's not something required for every image.

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:08 PM
contas
• • •
p.33 #10 · p.33 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

@Herb1911: You have a short memory, you afew pages back like Sculptormic today don't know anything about green edges ( color shift ).People analysed it , but you refused many time to recognised this beast, but people insisted to help you and at the end, you reluctantly accepted it as an objective phenomenon, that adheres to Foveon sensor, someone even offered you that Cornerfix may cure this disease.You now became a "mentor" of Foveon file processing, you have to say something like thank to people, who helped you to find hidden beast and prevent to post naively pictures but not some such things above. Don't you feel something like - ungrateful?

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:43 PM
glacierpete
• •
p.33 #11 · p.33 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

douglasf13 wrote:
Good points, Millsart. The DP2M at $699 would be hard to resist.

Douglas

Out of a marketing perspective, I am puzzled with Sigma's pricing. Consumers don't complain over 3K for a Sony RX1 because it has a Zeiss sticker on it, knowing the lens is made by Cosina.

Sigma tried to improve its reputation by putting together a world class lens with a unique sensor. I guess they choose the 1K price proint after their experiece with their Sigma SD1 pricing. It is a very low price for this level of technolog and image output. The camera output is not far behind a Nikon D800e with the best lens.
The Sigma DP2M lens is better than my Leica Summicron 50.

May be they made a mistake by choosing this kind of cheap brick look design, and people are mistaken by the Sigma sticker on it. BUT this camera at the current price level is a steal. I say this after 30+ years of photography with medium format and later digital.
It might have been better to choose a 2K price point from the beginning, make the body look better, make SPP better and most importantly do a better marketing for this incredible pice of technology.

Just my 2c

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.33 #12 · p.33 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

@contas
Thank you for your reply. I did not want to offend you. You certainly have helped me to look more closer at Foveon edge colorshifts. And I think I already thanked you for that. The idea behind my comment is to help people in a constructive way and not just telling that something is wrong with their pictures.
I have learned a lot the past few weeks about the DP2M and among that the issue of edge colorshifts. I found out for myself that Foveon colorshifts act a little different compared to the ones on M4/3 and Nex camera's with wide angle rangefinder lenses.
The Foveon responds quite a lot to UV light. I think this influences the colorshift visibility. That explains for me why i cannot see colorshift in some landscape images and in others I do. I try to work on solutions. Standard correction files for every aperture are not ideal in this case. It is easy to over correct in this way. Now when I do a wide landscape with lots of sky or even colored surfaces I take also an Expodisc shot. This will be my most effective correction file for a DNG Flatfield correction of that specific image.
I am not the Foveon expert, I am just on my way. But i always check an try what people tell me and share my findings. This is my way of being gratefull.

Herb

Nov 09, 2012 at 04:13 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.33 #13 · p.33 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The ISO 100 Mini Viewcamera

This is how I basically use the DP2M.

Here the camera is setup for vertical stitched images.

On the camera I have a lens hood and a UV filter. And on the back a professionally attached Hoodloop :-)
And a standard L bracket that leaves the battery compartment free and gives me some extra lift for some clearance from the tripod when I am focussing.

The extra slider on the pano head allows me to adjust the position of the entrance pupil. Therefore the camera has to shift around 3 cm to the back. I shoot with overlap of around 30%. So I turn the camera around 10 degrees every shot.

For normal shooting I remove this extra slider.

Herb

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:53 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.33 #14 · p.33 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7110/8169467043_8d40242754_b.jpg

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.33 #15 · p.33 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
One aspect of Raw Developer I have found to be very well implemented - and have used over the years - is the built in interpolation engine - and the sharpening tools. In fact, even without current support for the DP1 Merrill, I often export the DP1 M tiffs out of SPP with no sharpening, convert them into DNG's and then open them in Raw Developer for sharpening and interpolation up in size (Raw Developer supports DNG's). Yes, it's a cumbersome workflow but it's not something required for every image.

Tariq Gibran,
I understand your workflow. Raw Developer is not a shiny package but it is very competent and works a lot better than SPP.
The most annoying thing right now with SPP is that I cannot batch process all images without any noise reduction.
I have to go first to every image and set the noise sliders back and store it as X3F. That is really annoying.

Herb

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:07 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.33 #16 · p.33 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

@nandadevleast,
That looks very fine and refreshing

Herb

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Herb1911
• •
p.33 #17 · p.33 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

glacierpete wrote:
Douglas

Out of a marketing perspective, I am puzzled with Sigma's pricing. Consumers don't complain over 3K for a Sony RX1 because it has a Zeiss sticker on it, knowing the lens is made by Cosina.

Sigma tried to improve its reputation by putting together a world class lens with a unique sensor. I guess they choose the 1K price proint after their experiece with their Sigma SD1 pricing. It is a very low price for this level of technolog and image output. The camera output is not far behind a Nikon D800e with the best lens.
The Sigma DP2M lens is better
...Show more

Glacierpete,
I basically agree with you. Although I think that a lot of people are already complaining about the RX1 pricing.
I do not like marketing, but manufacturers need it and have to use it properly. What I mostly not like about it is that it often confuses a lot of people who, in the end, are not able to choose the right tool for them. Proven by the fact they sell their equipment very fast or let it collect dust on the shelves. I think that Sigma's marketing is improving with the DPx Merill's. But it is clear it is not an easy task to sell even a brilliant product. And it is maybe even more difficult to establish a price point.

Herb

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:25 AM
inglis
• •
p.33 #18 · p.33 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Herb,
Such a cute pano head. Is it the Really Right Stuff PCL-1: Panning Clamp topped with an Mini-Clamp Package? Do you know what the two brackets are? I am not finding them on the RRS website. Do you like this? Love the size and that you can use different cameras on it.
John

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:19 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.33 #19 · p.33 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

It looks like straight RRS stuff, but note that the slider only allows for corrected sweep panos, not row/column stuff.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:29 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.33 #20 · p.33 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Nice pano rig but if its a mini view camera as you state, then why the need for the hood loop ? My 4x5 Toyo field camera doesn't have a VF, it as a ground glass display, which other than showing an upside down image, is just like working from a LCD display

One item I'd suggest changing, as someone who does a lot of pano's, is the RRS panning clamp for an indexing rotator. You can get some Ebay ones for $100-150 depending on number of intervals you want around.

It makes pano shooting SOOOOOOO much easier. Just set the overlap amount you want, and then its as simple as click the rotator to the right or left, snap the shutter, click the rotator to the next position, take the shot.

It makes it error free and much quicker, especially when you have the tripod positioned in such a way that you can't easily view the LCD display or the degree markings on the clamp.

Also, in the event you want to do a second pass for blending of two exposures, (after the DP2m buffer has finally cleared!) it makes it very easy to go back to the first position and shoot it again.

Nov 09, 2012 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.