Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31      
       33              91       92       end

Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

sector99

Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

glacierpete

To be sure camera cattle pine for more Bayer fuzz. However, the masses sought range finders too––until the SLR revealed a better path. As always the bleeding edge users will blaze a new trail and I suspect the Merrills will be their weapons of choice.

It's the option of a slightly better detection scheme combined with a clear convenience package that will start to erode the leader's dominance.

A good test can be seen in the looming SONY RX1's release sales. The CZ lens is good, the package is smallish.

But now one can have two cameras (DP1M & DP2M) each with competing resolution to the RX1 for $800 less. One for each jacket pocket. Each technology prints comparable 20X30s.

One could even dispense with the DP1M and do smallish panos with the DP2M for wides.

To be fair the SIGMAS lack a built-in fill flash and are slower in AF. However the lure of Bayer & AA Free capture is strong.

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:50 PM
inglis
• •
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Thanks Michael, Tariq, & Herb,
helps with decision making at present
& planning for future (ff possibilities)

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:56 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

The major issue with comparing the Sigma DP Merrills to the Sony RX1 is in overall utility. Throw in low light and/ or artificial light sources into the mix and the Sigma's are going to suck big time. So, the equivalency only holds up in bright, daylight type scenarios.

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:57 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Herb1911 wrote:
I have been experimenting with and Expodisc and a UV filter.

I found that the DP2M responds quite a lot to UV radiation from the sky.

A good UV filter in front of the lens works very positive on this camera reducing noise and color blotches.

Thanks, that's very interesting. I haven't bothered with using a UV filter on a camera for a long time, but this certainly makes it worth considering. Apparently, Sigma should include the UV cut in their lens coating design to improve on the blotching issues.

Does anyone have a UV/IR cut "hot mirror" filter (as was commonly used for the Leica M8) to test the effects of blocking the long-wavelength end of the spectrum? So far as I can tell, the DP2M sees almost no IR through an IR filter, so I wouldn't expect much --- but I wouldn't have expected the UV filter to do much, either, so it's worth a try.

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Hulyss Bowman
• •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 01:05 PM · View previous versions

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:16 PM
sector99

p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Tariq Gibran

I hear you on "Low light" issues for the Merrills. But I'm not at all leaning towards the RX1 (Even though I have a scientific relationship with CZ). I'd add a Zeiss Ikon + Biogon 35 f/2 ZM before the RX1. FF Velvia is Velvia––It's easy to blow viewers away with a slide projection theses days. They want to come back with their kids to see projected Velvia.

However, I consider the Merrills to be unmatched APS-C DIGITAL LENSES––that happen to have cameras attached.

An ideal pairing might be to carry the new LUMIX LX 7 as a Merrill partner with f/1.4 low-light, wide-field capacities plus a portrait zoom feature.

We do have two pockets No?

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Herb1911
• •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Sigma DP2M stitching.

As a start for me a composite of 7 vertical stitched images. It is a little bigger than 4000x12000 pixels.
So you can print a meter wide at 300 ppi without inventing new pixels.

Started as SPP Neutral with custom white balance and no noise reduction.
Stitched in PT Gui Pro.

The light was soso, and the wind was coming up.

Also important: downsized for the web with WP Pro plugin and web sharpening done with Photokit Sharpener.

Herb

Today

100% crop left edge

Edited on Nov 06, 2012 at 09:34 PM · View previous versions

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:02 PM
glacierpete
• •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Herb,
I just did a 6 vertical image pano with the free hugin and had no problems with sharpness. The image was as sharp as the foveon originals at 100%. No sharpening necessary with hugin.

Nov 06, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Hulyss Bowman
• •
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Nov 06, 2012 at 07:46 PM
Herb1911
• •
p.32 #10 · p.32 #10 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

glacierpete wrote:
Herb,
I just did a 6 vertical image pano with the free hugin and had no problems with sharpness. The image was as sharp as the foveon originals at 100%. No sharpening necessary with hugin.

glacierpete,
Thanks. Just did it again in PTGui Pro and this time without a warp, just crop. Tack sharp from corner to corner
Herb

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Herb1911
• •
p.32 #11 · p.32 #11 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Hulyss, I think you have found your definite style
And there is no need for a Merill anymore
Herb

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:04 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.32 #12 · p.32 #12 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Keep posting those great shots!

Looks like the DP2m is a limited use camera that absolutely excels at what it is good at.

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:10 PM
Herb1911
• •
p.32 #13 · p.32 #13 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

...still DP2M

Today II

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:17 PM
Hulyss Bowman
• •
p.32 #14 · p.32 #14 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:30 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.32 #15 · p.32 #15 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

pingflood wrote:
Keep posting those great shots!

Looks like the DP2m is a limited use camera that absolutely excels at what it is good at.

Those are usually the most enjoyable type of camera's I've always found, just as driving a true sports car. Sure it may get poor mileage, can't fit the kids or groceries, and be a terrible choice for the 2 hour stop and go commute to work, but when your simply out on a great road for a Sunday drive and its not about the destination but getting there, there is nothing more fun.

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:46 PM
Herb1911
• •
p.32 #16 · p.32 #16 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

millsart wrote:
Those are usually the most enjoyable type of camera's I've always found, just as driving a true sports car. Sure it may get poor mileage, can't fit the kids or groceries, and be a terrible choice for the 2 hour stop and go commute to work, but when your simply out on a great road for a Sunday drive and its not about the destination but getting there, there is nothing more fun.

millsart,
spot on
Herb

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:48 PM
Herb1911
• •
p.32 #17 · p.32 #17 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Hulyss,

Is Chrono's Shoe taken with the Sigma Noctilux?

Herb

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:50 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.32 #18 · p.32 #18 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

millsart wrote:

I agree, but I'm not sure that it applies to something like the DP2M. From all that I've seen and read, the DP2M IS about the destination, because the camera itself is clunky and not particularly enjoyable to use, but it has fantastic output.

What you described sounds more like a Leica or something, to me.

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.32 #19 · p.32 #19 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

Hulyss Bowman wrote:
No The DP2m handle far better multiple light source than my D700 or Leica S2, period.

That would be a HUGE change if so. The original DP1 I owned was all but useless under tungsten and artificial light sources at higher ISO's.

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:01 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.32 #20 · p.32 #20 · Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

My only Foveon experience has been with my DP2M, but I'd have to agree and say that its certainly best in bright full spectrum daylight.

Its not unusable by any means under artificial light etc, but the files don't look nearly as good. Same goes for using it for longer exposures at night etc.

I guess to each their own or there is some variabliity in the sensor because its pretty weird that Hulyss can a claim its better under mixed light than a D700 or S2 "period" and yet Tariq and myself certainly don't see it.

So if you ask me, its best under full spectrum daylight and simply not a camera I'm using on real overcast days, or for longer exposures at dawn/dusk or night shots.

PERIOD

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password