Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

I have a large landscape image with roughly 35600x10200 dimensions (360MP). Photoshop CS6 is not allowing me to save it as a JPG, I'm only given TIFF, PSB, and RAW as options. I've double-checked that the image is flat, sRGB, and 8-bit RGB.

Is there a way to save such a large image as a JPG? If so, how? If not, how much do I need to downsample the image so I'll be able to save as JPG?

Searching the web as well, but I need to figure this out pretty quickly so I decided to also ask for help here. Thanks in advance!

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:14 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

Update: I've found notes on the web that say older versions of PS can't save an image larger than 30000x30000 as a JPG. Unfortunately, I'm finding that cropping off the right side of my image so that the longest dimension is 29995 pixels does allow me to save as JPG. Seems like this limitation might be alive and well in CS6.

So I've found one solution to my problem, though not an ideal one. I'd also like to avoid downsampling if I can... the whole point is to display the image at its best if possible.

Does anyone know if there's a way to save a file > 30000 pixels wide as JPG?

Sep 21, 2012 at 03:30 PM
colinm
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

The JPEG standard is capped at 65,535 pixels in both dimensions, but most tools have limitations at or less than Photoshop's 30K number due to the math (and development effort) involved versus the limited utility.

I don't know what your end goal is, but slicing it up and reassembling it may be a suitable solution.

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:20 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

Why do you need to do this?
Scott

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

sbeme wrote:
Why do you need to do this?
Scott

+1

I get the large file ... assuming large print ... but why the need to take it to jpg and sRGB, after the effort to generate the large file size? Is this being displayed @ Times Square rather than in print?

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

FWIW, PSP can handle jpg up to 32767 pixels.

And if you can save it as a TIF, then irfanview (freeware from http://irfanview.com - my favorite image conversion utility for over 10 years) is able to convert it to a JPG (at least it did for the 32767 pixel file that I tested).

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

Irfanview was also able to create a 35000x10200 file and save as JPG.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

Hey thanks... I haven't used IrfanView in years but I recall it being an excellent utility. I'll attempt to go through TIFF to get to JPG in IrfanView.

The purpose of this is rather simple. My photography business is still very small, but I'm very focused on only selling very-high-quality large prints. Until the moment when their print arrives on site and unless they've seen some other prints of mine, the only way people see most of my work is on computer screens. So I'm trying to create a gallery I can show on my tablet (1920x1080 Asus Transformer TF700), but without losing any detail: I want people to be able to look at a whole pano, then zoom in to the pixel level so they can see the detail. This was the first time I had tried that conversion, and I immediately smacked into the 30K-pixel limit.

Thanks again for your help so far. I hope IrfanView can solve the problem, and I'll try it as soon as I get back to my computer on Monday.

Sep 22, 2012 at 01:21 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

360Mpix file to be displayed on a tablet!?!?!

The only people that will get caught up in the technical pixel peeping details are other photographers...like yourself.

On a tablet, what would be the zoom/pan/scroll speed of working with that file? I think it would possibly bog down my i7@4.8Ghz with 16Gb and 240Gb SSD!

Why not get several files, each native to your tablet resolution, one full frame, then smaller sections down to the finest detail you want to show... but as separate files.
You'll be able to show off your work ALOT faster.

Sep 22, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Saving 360MP image as JPG

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Some photographers pixel-peep to measurebate, but regular people will happily pixel-peep simply due to the "wow" factor. And there's a legitimate place for a little drama in showmanship and sales.

Although I haven't yet tried the IrfanView conversion, I did manage to get my first test file onto my tablet by simply cropping off part of the pano to make the overall width of the image under 30K pixels (total 295MP). Saved it as a JPG, ended up with a 72MB file. Works fine. Loads in a couple of seconds on the tablet. Pans and scrolls a little more slowly than other images, but again fine.

Besides, I love the results! I've shown it to almost a dozen people this weekend, with uniformly great effect: I start by zooming in to full detail, and I show them the image... they like it. Then I tell them it's actually part of a larger image, and zoom out somewhat... they say "wow" and they like it. Then I do that again, two or three more times... and the "wow" gets bigger and the grin gets wider. By the time I show them the full pano, they have a clear idea of just how much detail is in that image and they're asking what kind of interstellar camera I used to get the shot.

Of the people who saw the file this weekend, two chose to buy a print... call that 12% or so. At $500 each, that's already a huge success as far as I'm concerned. This is definitely going to be a part of my standard workflow going forward. I think people are reacting very positively because the zooming in to show the detail helps them understand what the large print would look like on their wall.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password