New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31      
       33              35       36       end

Archive 2012 · 6D - hands on & first experience

digitalgene

Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Received my grip, E2 and extra LP-E6 from B&H and all work just fine.

Gene

Jan 18, 2013 at 08:23 AM
e.aland
• •
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
Well, letīs get back to the camera, please.

To those, who already own/use it:

Are there any mayor problems because of the missing joystick?
Does it feel like a big hint. Or is/was it easy for you to get along with the new multi-wheel?

Ralph

i am used to 1D bodies and select single AF a lot. no problem at all without joystick on the 6D, also because of the simple 11-point AF. even selecting the few outer AF points with the wheel is perfect for me. no problem !

this simple AF has advantages (its simple !) and a returned to center AF plus recompose, for example with the 135.
for me, the 135 (and also the 200) revives on the 6D !

Jan 18, 2013 at 09:02 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

It has been a while since I used a camera w/ joystick, so I can't be sure- but I really don't miss it.
I think if this was a 45+ point AF system, the joystick would work better, but with only 11 points, it is just fine. Has not been a problem for me.

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

thnx to all of you. I seldom used the joystick of my 5D II, or xxDs to choose an AF point.
I am used to center AF/recompose. But I always used it to view and scroll threw an zoomed in image.
I worked with 60Ds multipad on photokina for a week for that and it did not feel comfortable.

Jan 18, 2013 at 01:15 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

It is 4 month ago now since I started the thread. Decission is already made a couple of weeks ago. Thank you all for your interess and input.

Ralph

Jan 19, 2013 at 01:23 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

For those that will be using the video mode of the 6D here's a high ISO test you might find interesting

Canon C300 Vs 6D Low Light Test

Jan 19, 2013 at 09:19 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
thnx to all of you. I seldom used the joystick of my 5D II, or xxDs to choose an AF point.
I am used to center AF/recompose. But I always used it to view and scroll threw an zoomed in image.
I worked with 60Ds multipad on photokina for a week for that and it did not feel comfortable.

After using the 6D on several shoots now, I do find that I miss the joystick...but only because I can now jump to servo AF w/ my DoF button. It's 'one step forward, one step back' if you're following me. Because of the ability to quickly jump to servo AF, I can easily switch from static portraits to ones with motion...walking, etc. But, because there's no joystick, I (at least for now) find it cumbersome to move my thumb from the AF selection button down to the pad to find a point that I can use for tracking...all while keeping the camera to my eye.

With my 5D, it was 99% center point. I never did do much servo AF or attempts at motion tracking.

For the next question that'll be asked of me...I've been doing all AF servo in good daylight or shade and the outer points have yet to miss. I have yet to push it in lower light levels though.

P.S. Still waiting for B&H to ship my replacement grip! I'll see if it's a tool that's worth it...and then add the RRS L-bracket. Then I'm done!

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

The joystic is one of the key ergonomic factors which made the 40D and 7D so pleasent to use for me. I remember trying the 60D and not liking it at all, with the absence of the joystic being one of the main reasons for this.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 24, 2013 at 07:06 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I'm another bummed 6D customer with the focus points. I use a T4i frequently and love that I can just hold the button in and go "round the world" with my front dial. On the 7d, the joystick is there. On this camera neither feature is there. I don't know if it is a dealbreaker, but a dissapointment for sure.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Luta13
• •
p.32 #10 · p.32 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Kris Reiswig wrote:
I'm another bummed 6D customer with the focus points. I use a T4i frequently and love that I could just hold the button in and go "round the world" with my front dial.

I dont have a T4i but this IS how the 6D works. You press the far right focus point selection button with your thumb and you go "round the world" with your front dial. Easy

Jan 25, 2013 at 07:57 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #11 · p.32 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I'll admit, I miss the 1-series "Ring of Fire" more than I miss any joystick. Area AF was always a joy for me to use, even without a joystick.
BUUUUUUT, the 6D's AF has not let me down yet. A little slower to use sometimes, but then again- it's not a 1-series haha.

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:33 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.32 #12 · p.32 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

To correct Luta13, from page 95 of the new 6d manual, turn the dial to select an AF on the LEFT or the RIGHT and turn the back wheel to select an AF point above of below. I cannot go around all of the focus points with the wheel, as I can on my T4i. If there is a way to cycle through all of the 11 focus points with just using the front dial, please, please let me know.

Edit: I just got of the phone with Canon CPS and my dissapointment is confirmed. The front scroll wheel will not go around the focus points, nor will the back wheel. The only way to go around the world is by individually selecting the focus point on the 8 way controller. Wow, that's one way for Canon to keep me on the center point!

Jan 25, 2013 at 08:57 AM
Luta13
• •
p.32 #13 · p.32 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Kris Reiswig wrote:
To correct Luta13, from page 95 of the new 6d manual, turn the dial to select an AF on the LEFT or the RIGHT and turn the back wheel to select an AF point above of below. I cannot go around all of the focus points with the wheel, as I can on my T4i. If there is a way to cycle through all of the 11 focus points with just using the front dial, please, please let me know.

Edit: I just got of the phone with Canon CPS and my dissapointment is confirmed. The front scroll wheel
...Show more

Kris - Maybe I'm just not understanding because I'm not familiar with the T4i and I dont recognize exactly what you mean. But, before I posted above, I placed my eye to viewfinder on my 6D, I pressed the autofocus selection point button with my right thumb, as I turn the front wheel with my right index finger, my selection point changes one-by-one until it gets to the end where it will light all focus points before going back through one-by-one.
I'm at work, so no camera, but thats how mine worked before I posted above.
Again, maybe your 'around the world' is somehow describing something different and I just am not understanding the difference.

Mike

Edited on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM · View previous versions

Jan 25, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.32 #14 · p.32 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Mike, the scroll wheel on the front of the camera only goes left and right when you hold down the selection, not around all of the outer focus points. Please check this and let me know if yours works differently. I confirmed this lack of directional travel with the Canon CPS rep having a 6D in his hands. There is no around, which is the problem. It only goes left and right.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Luta13
• •
p.32 #15 · p.32 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

No. Thats not true. I think I understand what your saying, but i think the manual is trying to describe the way (direction) the selected points will move when you turn either dial but it isnt saying it ONLY goes that way.

So, if you hit the AF Select button and you spin front dial, it does in fact go around to all the points. But, the direction of the 'around the world' movement is left-to-right.

If you hit AF Select button and spin back dial it will move them up or down so that you can jump across the selection points instead of having to go 'around the world' to get to one.

Its the direction you want to begin your 'travels' in that will determine which wheel you spin. Front wheel will spin to each point and the 'all-selected' point as you spin it.

Make sense?

Mike

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.32 #16 · p.32 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Thanks Mike for the call!!! I'll just put it out here again and if anyone else can help, I'd appreciate it. Just to make my issue 100% clear. I cannot cycle through ALL of the focus points, one by one, by using only the focus button and front wheel. Maybe I have a defective camera

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Luta13
• •
p.32 #17 · p.32 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Kris - I will be more help when I am home and have my camera. But, i just looked at page 95 of full manual and it seems to indicate that when you press the AF selection dial, the LCD will have a choice of either:
Automatic Selection: AF [ _ _]
Manual Selection: SEL [] (center) / SEL AF off center.

Can you see if pressing the AF select button opens up a menu on LCD and if you can change setting there.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.32 #18 · p.32 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Nope. Even when I go into the Q menu to select focus points, it just goes left to right when I use either the scroll wheel or the back wheel. To go "around" I have to press the inside 8 way controller, 8 times to cycle through all of the outer points.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Luta13
• •
p.32 #19 · p.32 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Kris - I just got home and checked. I stand corrected. It seems I had the focus point selected along the top and saw that it scrolled around the top ones and then to the all focus points setting and I assumed it went all the way around.
You have to select a focus point in the top, center, or bottom zones and then scroll the front wheel and it will cycle through all points in that zone, but not all the way around. I sincerely apologize.

I guess I have gotten so used to using that back wheel and the front that over the past 45 days that I never took note of that limitation on the front wheel.

Again, my apologies and best of luck with your 6D

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:36 PM
Kris Reiswig
• • •
p.32 #20 · p.32 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Thanks for confirming. At least I know that I don't have a defective camera.

Jan 25, 2013 at 05:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.