New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              35       36       end

Archive 2012 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Today on photokina I got my hands on 6D.
There was not much time and the place was overcrowded and as far I remember, they presented the new body not in the "pro" area. I am pretty sure I will get the chance for a better and deeper second contact to the new Camera the next couple of days, because I will visit the exhibition all days till the end.

Here is my first impression:

1. the body feels and smells like more plastik than 5D II, 5D III, but it fits perfect into my hands. New size, weight and feel came comfortable for me.
2. The outer AF points worked very good (immediatelly reaction and accurate) on the well lit booth. Felt much better than 5D II ever did.
3. I was NOT allowed to put in a SD card. But I checked ISO 25.600 and it looked great on the display (what does not say much more than it has a great screen).
4. I really was missing the "joystick". Guess I have to get more familar with its new counterpart in the backwheel.
5. I can not say it for certain, but as far I remember the "confirm" illumination of the AF points was handeled same way it was in the Dxxx, Dxx, 5D, 5D II and old 1 bodies. I just remember while writing. I guess I will check again tomorrow when I find the time to tell you for sure (sorry).

The cause why I forgot to check it for sure is easy. There was a dark "testcave" to check the center AF-point -3 EV capabilities. The target was so dark that I even was not able to see where I was pointing to. I just saw some kind of a more lit area pointed the center AF sensor to it and pushed the shutter release.

6. The result was blowing away my mind. The confirmation with 50mm 1.4 came immediatelly! The focus set perfect and I first could see what I shot on the screen! I did this maybe 10-15 times, turned the camera to the side and did a portrait of a backlit visitor sitting half in the darkness. Focus was perfect. The 5D II in compare was surching, surching, surching. It did not confirm. I repeated the test with the man and it was surching and surching and at least confirmed, too. I shot the pic but I can not say if it found the correct focus, because it was a 1/15th shot wide open and I could not hold it (sorry, I forgott to check the ISO setting). The pic done with the 6D was rasorsharp at ISO 25k.

To be honest: This was the camera I wished for my needs as a 5D II follow up one year ago (some might remember). I am sure this new body will become a great success. A friend of mine who tested the Tamron 24-70 at his 1D X went over to the Canon booth and checked 6D, too.
His impression: "Itīs plastic! But this sensitivness should have had found its way into the 1D X!"

More as soon as possible.

Ralph

Edited on Sep 19, 2012 at 04:01 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:23 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph,

Thanks for the first-hand report. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Sounds like you had your 5DII with you? If so, next time you go would you mind testing to see if the outer AF points on the 6D work any better than on the 5DII? The center point sounds like groundbreaking stuff, so I'm hoping the non-cross-type outer points might have gotten a boost too.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Yohan Pamudji wrote:
Ralph,

Thanks for the first-hand report. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Sounds like you had your 5DII with you? If so, next time you go would you mind testing to see if the outer AF points on the 6D work any better than on the 5DII? The center point sounds like groundbreaking stuff, so I'm hoping the non-cross-type outer points might have gotten a boost too.

No I had not my own 5D II with me. They had a 5D II next the 6d in the cave to compare.
I think your question is answered with point 2, isnīt it?
I know how bad my 5D IIs outer points react. I can not trust them, that is why I do not use them. That was why I said 6Ds react immediatelly and accurate. But this test was done at the booth, not in the cave. I am pretty sure in the cave they would not have found anything like 5D IIs center point. But I can try to check this directly the following days.

Ralph

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:42 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph, it is great to hear the positive feedbacks hopefully I will have the same impression when I am visiting Friday/Saturday/Sunday

R

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:46 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D - hands on & first experience

visit me too, Robin. I am on the Tamron booth (on the small observation tower) and you can get an first impression of the new Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD.
We show preproduction samples only and imo the lens looks very good. But it is not allowed to put in a memory card

Ralph

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:54 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D - hands on & first experience

6D will end up in the Canon camera history with a moniker "The mighty focuser".

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Eventually "the mighty center AF-point focuser", Peter.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:57 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
No I had not my own 5D II with me. They had a 5D II next the 6d in the cave to compare.
I think your question is answered with point 2, isnīt it?
I know how bad my 5D IIs outer points react. I can not trust them, that is why I do not use them. That was why I said 6Ds react immediatelly and accurate. But this test was done at the booth, not in the cave. I am pretty sure in the cave they would not have found anything like 5D IIs center point. But I can try
...Show more

From the wording it sounded like you might have been going by memory of how well/poorly the 5DII outer points work instead of testing back-to-back, which is why I asked for the test. Then again in a bright booth even the 5DII would probably be fine and in a dark cave I wouldn't expect either camera's outer AF points to work. Bright booth, dark cave--why can't there be a middle ground that is only somewhat dark?

In any case, encouraging early report. Hopefully the AF stands up to further scrutiny as you get the chance to revisit it.

Sep 19, 2012 at 01:59 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D - hands on & first experience

nice to hear something nice about the 6d, even if anecdotal.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:00 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ralph Conway wrote:
Eventually "the mighty center AF-point focuser", Peter.

That may very well be true, Ralph. However, many people use only the center AF pt. anyways for reasons of accuracy, speed, dependability and control.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D - hands on & first experience

@ Yohan Pamudji:
My upper and downer work fine in a well lit surrounding. The left and right ones never worked. They worked excellent on the 6D.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:06 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D - hands on & first experience

PetKal wrote:
That may very well be true, Ralph. However, many people use only the center AF pt. anyways for reasons of accuracy, speed, dependability and control.

I am one of those "many people". That is why I never felt any issues with the 5D II. Except the use of higher ISO than 6.400. Next to banding and noise the center AF sensor started to surch. That looks like it has been the past with 6D. But of course I want to put my memory card into the body and check the results at higher ISO on my own.

This is surely not the right body for sports or BIF. But maybe it fits my needs well.

Edited on Sep 19, 2012 at 04:04 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Thanks Ralph! I'm looking forward to more of your reports and impressions, as well as those of other attendees.

I'm warming more and more to this model as I review its specs and get positive confirmation that Canon didn't (as some claim) make the new model out of old parts and cynical marketing voodoo. It seemed illogical that the company would put out two great bodies (5D3 and 1DX) with improved everything, a great top end Rebel in the T4i (not to mention the great new video bodies), only to slump on this product deployment. I know it's a lower quality FF model, but it seems to correspond very well (and with better sealing) to the 60D, which I am a big fan of as one of Canon's best values of imaging/price.

Thanks for some positive remarks.

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D - hands on & first experience

PetKal wrote:

Peter -- Ha-ha! That's me you're talking about! AI Servo and outer points? What? I'm the guy who does pretty well with M4/3 and 10X zoom on the center point for manual focus lenses! (I'm not crazy, I prefer simple P&S AF!)

I'm sure I'd be proficient with those tools if I shot sports, BIF, or some fast-paced activity (even more weddings).

Sep 19, 2012 at 02:20 PM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D - hands on & first experience

All that energy wasted on moaning and.......
I was beginning to think that the current crop of Canons came complete with a box of tissues
Thanks for the sanity Ralph
Now we can start to take photographs again

Tim

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:53 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D - hands on & first experience

The more I think of this, the more I'm sure that the outer AF points of 5D2 is not as sensitive as -0.5 EV.

Sep 19, 2012 at 03:56 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D - hands on & first experience

It's irrelevant. All that matters is that the sensor beats Nikon.

;p

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:13 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Really? All that matters for me is if ISO 25k meets MY needs, if I can learn to use the new "youstick" version and how the price difference to 5D MK III will be.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:20 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D - hands on & first experience

Ps that was a joke...

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:28 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D - hands on & first experience

I know, Phil.

Sep 19, 2012 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.